1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

annoying berserker bug

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Bombur, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

[​IMG] This problem applies equally to all the BG games, but I'm currently playing SoA without ToB, so I'm posting here:

On "insane," the monsters are supposed to do double damage. But in actual practice, all damage is doubled, including the 15-point downward adjustment to a berserker's hit points after raging. Anybody know a way to correct this bug?

2. Minh So Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Err... even the manual says so. The game technically makes you receive double damage from everything, includes your own party members, your spells, ect...
    So, at least this is not a bug from the Bersecker class ^^

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Simple. Play on "Core", you heathen. :p

4. Bombur

Obviously.
    Well, I suppose you could just call it bad programming. The fact is, a berserker is not supposed to be "damaged" but "winded." What he loses are supposed to be the bonus hit points he got by raging. He is not supposed to take damage from raging or from being winded.

Consider, for example, that in BG if you are playing on insane and rage at first level, or at any level where your maximum hit point total is less than 30, you will necessarily die when your rage ends. This is extremely poor programming -- sufficiently so to qualify as a "bug" in my book. It is not limited to the berserker class, but at least the other manifestations of the problem are reasonably explained by role-playing rationality.

But more to the point, do you know a way to correct this? Or were you simply trying to nitpick my description of the problem?

5. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well part of it is not only do you lose to your maximum hitpoints. (If you remove an item that raises your maximum hitpoints your current hitpoint level only changes if it's high enough to be in the altered range.) But The damage is not first applied to the extra hitpoints that you get. So your current hitpoints have to be altered to. It's not nice. it's not the cleanest but it's the least complicated to assign a hidden damage affect to the action so that your current hitpoints lose the 15 as well as the maximum you can have lowers 15. This is the only way for it to actually kill you. Otherwise your maximum hitpoints would change but your current hitpoints wouldn't.

6. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

When berserk is about to end, switch it to core. Y ou must be pretty experienced though to guees its time running out.

7. Minh So Gems: 6/31

Not at all, because of my poor English I didn't get you correctly, ... or something ._~

Now I'm just curious how come you can accept such handicap like monsters doing double damage but refuse to give an additional 15HP after a glorious victory :shake:

8. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Ditto. You wanted hard, you got hard. I'm constantly amazed that anyone would pick a difficulty level named "insane". :shake:

9. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    I would recommend simply using a Barbarian. They don't lose any hitpoints at the end of their rages. If you are looking to use Korgan in your party there is a mod available that changes him into a Barbarian as well. You can find it here at SP. If you are dead set on using a berserker there is a workaround I can tell you about but you are going to need to have an editor like Near Infinity to make it happen. One last thing......if the only reason you are playing a berserker is so you can dual class him later G3 tweaks will allow you to do the same thing for Barbarians.

10. Bombur

No problem. :)

I only mind when it kills me or an NPC who is otherwise uninjured. How can a character develop an ability that kills him the first time he uses it? I prefer monsters doing higher damage, especially in 2E, since characters are rather overpowered otherwise.

I'm sure that's true. Anyone know if I can just edit a .2da or other file to lower that damage so that it comes out about right on the insane setting?

11. Drew

Media:
    Do you have NI or DLTCEP? If you do, I'd be happy to tell you how to make this happen.

12. Bombur

[​IMG] @Drew

Yes, I have NI. What's the secret?

13. Razfallow Gems: 6/31

Find spell Enrage (SPCL321.spl) and edit effect Damage (12) in Spell ability.
    Lower value in row called Fixed damage to 7 or 8.

14. Bombur

Thanks!

15. Drew

Media:
    What he said. Just remember that if you add any mods that affect the berserker rage that you will probably need to edit it again with NI after installing.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.