1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Anne Rice

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Shadow Druid, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Shadow Druid Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Hey, I'm going to start reading Anne Rice's books but was wondering which one, or series, I should start reading first. I went to Chapters today to check it out and I saw lots of her novels so I just wanted to know your guys opinions.

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have have read the three first vampire books, of those it is really only Interview with a vampire which is really worthwhile. The other two I read Vampire Lestat and Queen of the damned read more like history books than fictional novels. Not really bad though, just very different from the first one in my opinion. I havent read anything else but I have heard that everything after the first three vampire books are supposed to be quite bad.

3. Jack of Spades Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Quite bad indeed.. :( best not to bother.

I all read until Vampire Armand, and there I broke down.. It was such a trauma! :eek:

4. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    The Interview is... readable. Vampire Lestat... a bit better. Queen of the Damned is a total WHAT? and after that... *shudder*

I blame Rice on the fact that vampires have lost all their frighteningness and are now only oversexed wannabe-goths.

5. Human Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I don't really like Anne Rice but one of my friends really likes her writing style and on many occasion often tries to get me to read, "The feast of all saints".

Maybe you should try it and tell me if it is any good.

P.S., what ever you do, do not read servant of the bones by Anne Rice.

6. Jack of Spades Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG]
    Right. Yet she tries to conceal it, by making her vampires inable to have sex. Why? go figure. If they can SWEAT, which they do alot in her books, then why for pity's sake can't they? :confused:

7. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I've read quite a lot of Anne Rice, but now I'm trying to remember why. I'm on a complete boycott of her tripe at this point. Here's my assessment of what I've read.

Interview: Pretty good!
    Lestat: Not bad, if draggy
    Queen: Odd. I liked the story of the two sisters better than anything else in that one.
    Body Thief and Memnoch: Forgettable.
    Feast of All Saints: Just OK, and this from someone who really enjoys historical fiction.
    Cry to Heaven: More sex, but at least it's not in New Orleans :rolleyes:
    Armand and Pandora: Historical perspective only. Don't bother.
    Witching Hour: Stellar! I loved this book! HOWEVER...
    Lasher and Taltos: These two sequels to Witching Hour left me flat. I thought she took the story in a completely stupid direction and I was terribly disappointed.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.