1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Annah - dump her or not?

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by vitamin, Aug 5, 2012.

1. vitamin Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hello,
    I've just entered the Lower Ward and been thinking whether it's a right time to say 'Goodbye!' to Annah? I mean, she seems to be pretty useless to me - I'm not gonna play as a thief, and her fighting skills are poor. So could anyone tell me (just please without any spoilers) if there's any good reason to keep her in my party?
    Thank you in advance.

2. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    You are not forced to take her with you, though she is very nice written and adds quite a lot to the overall atmosphere of Planescape Torment.
    Just going by usefulness you could as well solo and still finish the game but where would be the fun?

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Never. Dump. Annah.

I keep her for the voice and the banter (especially with Morte ... the pillow talk is ROLF funny). Although once she get a few levels she's really kick ass -- her backstab, run away, turn a corner, hide in shadows, back stab, ... routine is awesome. She can kill nearly anything in the game.

vitamin likes this.
  4. vitamin Gems: 2/31

Actually, I'm not so sure about that... once I tried to access that Painted Door without her but couldn't open it. And that's the only reason I took her with me.

Yes, all those chats with Morte are great but I'm more concerned about TNO and his mysterious story.

Solo? Hmm, that would be more of a challenge first of all. BTW, is it even possible to play this game without any NPC's? They all seem to have some keys to TNO's main quest.

Thank you for that tip with backstabbing - I didn't know about that. However, I've just learnt that she can be useful - I used her pickpocket skills to get that Black Book from Mantuok. And also she can open some locked containers that I cannot bash into. Maybe I let her stay with me after all...
    Just I'm a bit worried about gaining experience points for TNO - more NPC's means slower progress (if I got it right). And I'd like him to develop into a mighty warrior capable of dealing with all kinds of enemies by his own. As for now, that's something that I failed to achieve unfortunately.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Combat XP's are divided among the team. Quest XP's are given in full to each member of the team (doesn't matter if you solo or have a full party, you get the same quest XP). Unless you XP mine in extremely boring places, you'll get more XP from quests -- so having more party members really doesn't hurt you much.

vitamin likes this.
  6. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The banter is funny, but her voice gets on my nerves after a while. Her attitude as well, actually.

This is true - instead of going for a mighty warrior, you might as well go for a smooth operator because this game awards that more.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Definitely keep her. She's pretty much integral to the story besides being useful. Morte, Annah and Dak'kon are, I'd say, a must at least for the first playthrough. I'd take along FFG and Nordom as well, though.

8. vitamin Gems: 2/31

Thank you very much for that clarification. Now I don't have even one single reason to dump Annah.

So far I've learnt that even smooth talker will eventually have to fight some creatures with some weapon and that weapon won't be his tongue, wits, or charisma.

I'm not so sure about that actually. So far, I know that she found my body and that's all. I don't think that she knew me in my previous incarnations. And that's why I value Dak'kon and Morte more.

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    So far being the key words.

10. vitamin Gems: 2/31

Hmm... it's getting even more interesting than I thought. But that's ok since I like surprises.

11. T2Bruno

Media:
    Just keep your eyes open for better punch daggers -- upgrade whenever possible -- and Annah is really good. Hopefully you've already got the upgraded teeth for Morte.

Many of the npc's can get 'upgrades' if you talk to them about specific things -- in some cases the conversations upgrade you.

12. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    And that's why a TNO that is good at talking is better than one that is good at fighting.

13. T2Bruno

Media:
    That's true henkie -- the normal dump stats are the most important for TNO. Wisdom grants bonus XP's and charisma really opens up high XP dialog options. I like to build intelligence for other dialog options.

Although having an 18 (exactly 18, not exceptional strength) by 7th level is helpful for a fighter build.

14. vitamin Gems: 2/31

Yes, I got Ingress Teeth (what a great chat it was when giving them to Morte) but as we speak of Annah I'm having a problem with finding her something better than her daggers. I got Punch Daggers of Moorin but TNO is using them as they seem to be the best weapon I've come across so far. As I managed to get inside that Siege Tower I saw some nice weapons (like Spiked Gauntlets of Ogre Power) but they are very expensive (more than 5000 coins) and I'm not sure if they're worth buying them? BTW, I find it pretty hard to earn some big money in this game. I got ca. 11000 coins now but haven't bought anything for Dak'kon or Annah so far.

15. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

*sighs* You need to pay attention to all. On top of that Torment is not really known for being Combat heavy like Baldurs Gate or Icewind Dale series are. This game is more about having a high Wis and Int stat over the rest of them. There are tomes ingame that will help you increase both to 18 if I remember correctly. This game is far more about the story and talking your way out of most things. You haven't run into those options probably becuase you skimped on both wisdom and intelligence which are both needed for this game to get the most out of it.

16. vitamin Gems: 2/31

I'm sorry but I can't see how your reply is related to my last post and issues with weapons and money? BTW, if you need to know, my Wis is 19, Int 17 and Chr 18.

17. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    If you join the Godsmen (recommended), you can buy weapons for TNO from their factol. Then give Moorin's punch daggers to Annah.

Or, get Lenny in the Lower Ward to train you as a thief. He will then give you a cool set of punch daggers. (You can always get Dak'kon to train you back to a fighter or mage!)

Don't look for weapons upgrades for Dak'kon and Morte, they are all set for the game.

When Morte reaches levels 5, 8 and 12*, make sure to open his inventory, right-click Ingress' teeth, and upgrade them. They can be upgraded to a +1 weapon (level 5), a +2 weapon (level 8), and a +3 weapon (level 12).

*Or level 13, I must admit I don't remember. It's been a couple of years...

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
    vitamin likes this.
  18. vitamin Gems: 2/31

I just found Brimstone Hammer and gonna stick to it for now, as my proficiency in hammers is higher than in fists. So Annah is gonna get the Punch Daggers of Moorin - I hope she will make good use of them.

But still I'm curious how to make more money in this game?

19. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    The best way to make money is to go to Clerk's Ward, find the Curiosity Shoppe, and ask the owner to see her special items. Buy the Modron Toy and take it to the Brothel. Ask the Modrons there what it is, then play with it a bit to find the right configuration:

Bend the left knee.
    Extend the left wing.
    Extend the right wing.
    Rotate the right arm.

You will find yourself in a kind of "dungeon" where some of the "monsters" drop some quite costly items. And the dungeon can be reset again and again, once you've passed it the first time and have found the "owners", so it is an endless source of treasure.

20. vitamin Gems: 2/31

Wow, this is a bit complicated way to earn some money. I think I just follow the story and see where it takes me.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.