1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Anima: Gate of Memories - Review @ Destructoid

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by RPGWatch, Jun 11, 2016.

1. RPGWatch

RPGWatch Watching... ★ SPS Account Holder

[​IMG]Destructoid has reviewed the open-world action RPG Anima: Gate of Memories:

Review: Anima: Gate of Memories
    If you're into tabletop role-playing games you may have heard of Anima, but I certainly hadn't prior to playing this. Thankfully, I didn't need to know anything about the series as this open-world action-RPG is a contained story set in the same universe as the board and card games that came before it.

You play as "The Bearer of Calamities," which is a way cooler way of saying 'a generic blond, big-boobed mage who forgot her own name and whose fate is intertwined with a book.' That book isn't just any book -- it contains a god-like demon that just happens to look like a sexy dude and sounds quite similar to Space Dandy (he's a dandy guy, in space). The duo ends up in a tower that acts as a hub world for different locations home to some deranged bosses, each of which has five memories scattered around their level that tell their horrific backstories.

[...]

Aside from some minor camera issues, a sexualized and poorly-written lead, and some annoying bosses, this is a pretty great little game. The graphics are decent, on par with the better-looking games of last generation; the soundtrack is better than it has any right to be; and the set pieces are easy on the eyes and vary greatly between each level. Not only can you get around 25 to 30 hours from the main story, but there is also a new game plus mode with even more endings.

If you're a fan of Nier and looking to get your fix until the proper sequel is out, it is easy to recommend Anima. RPGs rarely hold my attention but I happily sank my time into this one no problem. There's enough quality content here that it feels like the developer or publisher is selling itself short by setting the price so low, as I would have easily been satisfied with this at double the price. It's even more impressive knowing the game was developed by three people. Just know going in that toward the end, you're going to be frustrated with some boss fights, pending the developers don't tweak them in a future update.

Score: 8/10 - Great

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2016
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.