1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

And the game falls to a solo monk,

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by nunsbane, Mar 20, 2006.

1. nunsbane

nunsbane

I used a solo DG monk 13+(14),20+,10,10,20,1 to complete the regular campaign and with much less "cheese" than might be imagined. I squatted from level 7 to 11 and ended the game on level 23. Actually, in many parts of the game it is easier to progress with one high level monk than with a party of six. The elder brain for instance, I snuck past everyone with the deep gnome's racial invisibility and cut the brain down with a single quivering palm, then hit the exit doors...i wasn't getting experience for kills anyway. The last battle was fairly easy also, with Ormis' help we cut down many enemies before they had a chance to do much of anything. Then Isair and Madae were sitting ducks for the "cloud kiss" throwing axe. It causes electrical damage and I&M are vulnerable to electricity to the tune of a +5 damage bonus, each attack doing a total of about 10 damage. Overall, playing a solo monk may be easier than a solo sorcerer.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Who or what is "Ormis"?

3. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Ormis Dohor, IIRC, is the monk you help and who, in return, helps you in the battle against Isair and Madae

4. Westhardus Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I believe that solo with deep gnome monk is easy because there is no need to kill everything, just go invisible and kill what you like. And magic resistance is high enough, that helps a lot.
    Currently I solo in IWD 1 with lone fighter and there are no major difficulties.

5. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Deep Gnomes are pretty overpowered race, IMHO. Congratulations BTW! Will you also try your luck in HoF? :evil: YES yes please do so and give us feedback! :evil:

6. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Silverstar, that was cruel ;)

7. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

^Not to worry, I will give credit where credit is due. I just tried to encourage nunsbane. Hope it works.

What say you nunsbane? Have the guts to face HoF? It is fun once you get the hang of it! Really! :roll:

8. Luiz Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Congratulations, nunsbane!

I remember one of the BI's testers tried a solo DG monk (I remember especially because he named him "Stinkytoes"), and had trouble. Haha! Did you manage to save Shanegaerne bridge? (That was the point at which the tester was pulling his hair out.)

9. nunsbane

nunsbane

@Silverstar, I'm pretty sure it would be no problem to beat HoF with a dg monk...but I will find out for sure. I've already started a HoF game and am progressing quite slowly. It's going to be a loooong game.

@Luiz, yeah, I saved the shanegaerne bridge. I entered the area while invisible, walked past all the enemies and went straight to the wizard (Xuki?) and the ogres. I defeated them and the few other enemies who were standing close enough to that area to notice the battle. Then I worked my way back killing enemies in small groups as they came. I used my fists and every stunning attack available and a crossbow to clear the area.

10. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

@nunsbane: Silverstar's egging you on...if you go solo with a monk in HoF...you're going to get your ass handed to you...IMHO atleast...I've played this game a fair bit in BOTH modes, and let me tell you...its not for the weak of heart to take on HoF and DEFNITELY not for solo monks to take on HoF. :D

Add a lvl 30 Sorc or Wizard and then maybe...just MAYBE you have a chance. :D

11. Luiz Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

^ Who's the one egging him on now? ;)

12. nunsbane

nunsbane

i've beaten HoF with a solo sorcerer and am pretty sure after running through the core rules campaign with a solo monk that it could be done in HoF. In any case I'm gonna give it a shot. Bonzzaaaaiiiiiiiii!!

I've reunited Dereth Springsong and Sabrina Fairwynd and am well on my way to dance on Toraks corpse.

[ March 22, 2006, 21:14: Message edited by: nunsbane ]

13. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

@nunsbane: Mate...soloing with a sorcerer is EASY. In fact, its the easiest solo IMO...chucking Wail of the Banshee left and right...but its a completely different matter when you're a solo melee class with no magic whatsoever. :D

However...as I can see you've started your game, and you're having success. If you can finish the game with a melee class, well...kudos to you. :) I will only respect you that much the more for it! :D

@Luiz: Hehe...that's what I call reverse psychology mate! :D See...he started the run! :D

14. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Any Half-Fiend/Elf template or Cambion should have Restistance to Electricity 10...

15. nunsbane

nunsbane

I don't know anything about fiends, templates, or cambions but I can tell you for sure that once I&M's initial protections wear off and you can strike them with the cloud kiss throwing axe they suffer a 5 point damage bonus, at least in the core rules campaign.

Check the DK2 creature browser overridden files, it indicates that Isair and Madae have a -5 resistance to electrical attacks.

[ March 23, 2006, 21:24: Message edited by: nunsbane ]

16. nunsbane

nunsbane

The solo monk has brought together Braston and Ennilia in the HoF campaign.....I really wish those two would get a room.

17. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

:lol: solo monk ... NO CHANCE!

18. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    It's a pity the animation for the Monk is so bad (compared to BG2). :eek:

19. nunsbane

nunsbane

If I effectively play to the strengths of a DG monk by using speed, stealth, and what amounts to guerilla warfare (killing one or two enemies at a time and then retreating to recoup) I believe it possible to solo a monk in HoF. For example, the caravan bridge, I used stealth to sneak past the enemies to get to Xuki and the ogres and destroy them. Then I hid in the shadows and lured one to three enemies at a time back to the back section of the bridge where they perished badly. Then, for the primary force in the open field in front of the bridge, I used speed to run around the whole group of them while dealing mass damage with the amulet of missiles and the cloud kiss throwing axe. Over a long period of time this process resulted in me saving the caravan bridge. In the area around Trugnuk I was able clear the area of everything that drew breath with stealth, quivering palms, stunning attacks, star of quills +2, and the goblin slayer dagger. Then in the warrens I used the racial invisibility and "hide in shadows" to sneak around until I was able to slay, with quivering palms, the holders of the two wardstones. Pretty much, there are only two creatures in the warrens who even knew of my existence and dead enemies tell no tales. If you become invisible after slaying the wardstone bearers then their lackeys end up not knowing what to do so they do nothing. I've played through the campaign many times and looking forward to the challenges of each area I can tell you with some confidence that beating HoF with a solo monk is a foregone conclusion.

20. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Well obviously if you use the unchanged Improved Invisibilty (ie you bring along a wizard or whatever) then the game becomes a whole of a lot easier. But i guess if you use the unpatched Improved Invisibility method then ANYTHING is possible in IWD! :D

Btw, can you create a monk that actually looks like a monk??? Examples, ALL the monks in the BG serious (save a PC monk) and people like Ormis and his fellows in this game?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.