1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

And people wonder why I only drink Brita Water from our filter . . .

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by LKD, Apr 9, 2010.

1. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

What the hell is wrong with people? Seriously, that's sick and depraved. IMHO such a disgusting stunt should result in an expulsion at the very least. But not in LaLa land, where instead of real consequences we have pathetic slaps on the wrist.

These little sluts are laughing at the system. If I had my way, they'd still be crying from the severity of their punishments -- and not the fake, 3 second Crying of Insincerity they use to manipulate the stupid, but serious tears of agony and humiliation.

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hehe, I think they got quite appropriate punishments. I mean, what should be done with them? Judging by your comment they should be buried up to their necks and then stoned or something. It was a prank, a prank in bad taste but it was nothing dangerous, no one was hurt. I am starting to think that if you were in charge of the world about half the population would be incarcerated or serving other severe punishments.

You honestly think that it would be a better solution to remove any kind of future for these girls? You know, people do not disapear after they have been punished for their wrongdoings. Society need to take care of them one way or another and that sure as hell would be more costly if they are unemployed, high school expulsees.

T2Bruno likes this.
  3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    :lol:

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    ...and the other half would just be executed outright.

I agree with joacqin; it was stupid to do, but the punishment must befit the wrong-doing, and it does in this case.

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just pee on the cheerleaders ... hmm ... that sounds oddly familiar.

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think I saw that movie.

7. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Problem is, they'll be free to pee in the soda at cheerleading events again next year, and since the punishment seems to be essentially of the for-show variety (what is an "in-school suspension" anyway ... suspension while unsuspended?), they may very well do just that.

They apparently haven't learned that such a thing is socially unacceptable, and the quasi-suspension probably won't do anything to change that.

8. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Gotta love Moral Orel.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  9. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    At my son's school an in-house suspension is you go to school and sit at a desk in a room by yourself with nothing but your school books. That is far worse then an at-home suspension which many kids would think of as a vacation (especially if both parents work)

10. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Yup - I agree with most here. In school suspension is basically an entire day of detention and I think the punishment fit the crime.

11. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Well, if they had mixed the soda with something that was actually dangerous, LKD might have a point. Urine ain't dangerous, at least not in the concentrations when mixed with something else. Disgusting, yes, but not much more than that.

12. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    While I agree that getting someone to pee on them would be a more fitting punishment, it'd also just be begging for corruption. I don't even want to guess how many websites are dedicated to people peeing on HS cheerleaders. :o

That being said, I do think in-school suspension is appropriate, though I'd prefer to see them banned from cheerleading for more than the remainder of the year. Maybe all of next year, too?

13. Gaear

Media:
    In certain contexts, urinating on another individual can be construed as an assault (namely, if it's done without their permission). I'm a bit surprised that surreptitiously getting someone to drink urine doesn't also enter that territory, especially if it's possible that it could be dangerous. I mean, is it possible that there could be health risks for diabetics or other people who have to monitor what they consume very closely?

Anyway, I don't really have a good answer to the problem, but I wonder if all you pee-soda supporters here ;) wouldn't change your minds if you were the ones sampling the product. :p :D

14. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Maybe things are different between the US and the Frozen Tundra, but I got suspended five times in high school, and every time, I got sent home for 3, 5, 7, 10 and 14 days respectively. Detention? No, they basically told me to pike off and not come back before X date. Not in those words... but you get the idea.

15. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] That's exclusory suspension, inclusiory suspension is when you still have to go to school while being suspended.

16. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Gaear, I don't think urine typically contains much sugar, so it shouldn't be a problem for diabetics. It's generally sterile, so no real diease concerns either. It is, however, toxic (it's your waste product after all), so someone with a weak liver/kidney may have trouble. Still, a normal person has to drink a lot before they have problems.

17. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    I think Gaear does at least have a point. If a similar prank was pulled on me, I wouldn't be laughing -- and would probably want to see them punished more severely than they were. That doesn't mean that I should get what I want, though. We don't let victims decide on sentencing for a reason. Victims are neither detached nor objective, and are not particularly likely to make a fair decision. For my part, I do believe the punishment fit the crime, but I doubt I'd agree with my own assessment if I were the victim.

EDIT: Just caught this:

Sluts? Really? It seems like whenever a woman says or does something you don't approve of, you feel the need to call her a slut, a whore, or some other derogatory term involving her sexual habits. This habit of yours makes you appear more than just a little misogynistic. If that isn't how you want to appear to other people who may not know you better, you may may want to consider shying away from terminology like that. ;)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  18. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    LKD, I'm surprised you brought this up....I thought you liked golden showers... :evil: :p :evil:

Seriously though, I'd be pissed off... :doh:
    Damn, this thread is hard to avoid puns. :shake:

Ok, for real this time. I'd be very angry if someone urinated in my drink. I don't think a free pass from school is enough. I think the victims should be able to punch the stupid sluts in the stomach since that's probably the feeling they got when they found out what they just drank.....

@DotW - That's how suspension works here. You get your butt kicked out of school for a few days, or a few weeks. Either way, you have to make up all the stuff you missed....not that I would know about such things. :rolleyes:

19. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It appears that Drew's comment (which is similar to a comment I made in another thread) might apply to Kitrax as well...

Drew likes this.
  20. Gaear

Media:
    One other thing to keep in mind is psychological trauma on the part of the victims. Now before you go thinking I'm an ambulance chaser or anything like that, let me clarify by saying that there are certain things on the periphery out there that some people have real problems with -- phobias and the like. There are, for example, people who live in a nearly constant state of unease about the possibility of there being spiders nearby. They may be normal otherwise, but they have that one quirk. Likewise there are people with other more appreciable yet similarly irrational issues. A person who has been robbed, for example, might have an irrational fear that the person who robbed them is going to come back and kill them, even if they're in prison.

So what if someone like that was among the victims here, someone who can't stand the sight, smell, or thought of urine or feces, to the point that they're addled by it? Are they obligated to shrug this off as a kids' prank too, even if they might spend the next 3 months with stomach cramps and loss of appetite as a psychosomatic symtom of drinking urine?

This is all hypothetical on my part, of course, but I think it demonstrates fairly well that this incident may not be properly relegated to the realm of 'no big deal.'

@NOG - thanks for the diabetic related info.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.