1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Amina Lawal To be Stoned to Death

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Slappy, May 2, 2003.

1. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I just recieved this.

Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 14:33:45 +0000
    AMNINA LAWAL SET TO BE STONED ON 3RD JUNE

The Nigerian Supreme Court has upheld the death sentence for Amina Lawal, condemned for the crime of adultery on August 19th 2002, to be buried up to her neck and stoned to death. Her death was postponed so that she could continue to nurse her baby.

Execution is now set for June 3rd. If you haven't been following this case, you might like to know that Amina's baby is regarded as the 'evidence' of her adultery. The father of the child denied everything when he realised the trouble he was in. To find out more about sharia law, see The Guardian Newspaper Article or do a search under Google.

Amina's case is being handled by the Spanish branch of Amnesty International, which is attempting to put together enough signatures to make the Nigerian government rescind the death sentence. A similar campaign saved another Nigerian woman, Safiya, condemned in similar circumstances. It will only take you a few seconds to sign Amnesty's online petition.

Go to this web page

Enter your first name in the space marked "nombre", last name ("apellidos"), county ("provincia") and In the drop down box pick Reino Unido (UK). Then click on "Seguir" and go to the second page. There you have the option of entering your email address if you wish to receive follow-up information. In any case, be sure to click on "aceptar" to have your name added to the petition list.

Please sign the petition now, then copy this message into a new email and send it to everyone in your address book.

Kathleen Lowe
    Law Reform and Justice
    The Law Society
    113 Chancery Lane
    London, WC2A 1PL

Tel 020 7320 9537 x 4253
    kathleen.lowe@lawsociety.org.uk
    http://www.lawsociety.org.uk

[ May 02, 2003, 19:48: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Slappy, I am not sure, because I don't speak spanish. But wouldn't I take my on country in the country-box. Or is it only for people in the UK ? This may sound stupid, but..

3. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Yep, tick your own country (in Spanish on the list). The other stuff I posted was just the instructions being sent out around the UK.

If you need help to find out what your country's name is in Spanish (I certainly did), you might find help here. Just remember to click on the 'Free Translation' button.

4. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

Done. Thanks for the heads up on this Slappy. What a horror show.

5. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Thanks for information, Slappy. Without you I wouldn't know how to help that woman.

[ May 02, 2003, 22:27: Message edited by: Harkle ]

6. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Nothing like this surprises me anymore. Not even a little bit.

7. SoCo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Wow I didn't know they still stoned people. Slappy, this is a really kind deed of you for starting this. With Enough people signing, I hope it will work.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, if someone bothers to look through the archives, we've been discussing the same thing almost a year ago. But back then it was supposed to be settled that she would not be stoned. Apparently not...

9. Iago Gems: 24/31

Tal, don't discourage people. The other woman was a success and she was saved.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/2246838.stm

But maybe you are referring to the miss world election in Nigeria. People demanded form the organistation, not do it in Nigeria, because of Amina Lawal. The election of the miss world was regardless held in Nigera, but an angry Nigerian mob endend the indecent event. Ironic.

They never did that before in Nigeria. At least not because of religious law. After the overthrow of the miliatary dictatorship 1999, some pseudo-religious-powerhungry-nutcases had the brilliant idea to adopt old-testamentary law under the pretence of "establishing law and order and end crime and corruption". In reality only to further their own political agenda, start a little civil war and rise to power. Seems like teir close to achieve it.

[ May 03, 2003, 15:40: Message edited by: Yago ]

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm not discouraging anyone from signing the petition, just commenting. It's amazing they still haven't banned that punishment since the whole world revolted against it the last time they tried to do it...

11. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Oh, the WORLD can revolt all they want... What about all the religion-happy PEOPLE who would revolt if the nice laws that allow them to live in a "paradise" would suddenly be revoked?

Nasty stuff.

(*kicks something, anything, that gets on her way*)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.