1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

American Exceptionalism

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Ragusa, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    This thread is in response to a remark of ArtEChoke on "American Exceptionalism":

The very nature of Bush's preemptive strategy is based on American Exceptionalism.

What do I mean with that?

It is the notion that America, the experiment, is unique, that it hasn't inherited Europe's ruthlessness and its petty disputes and wars. Bush Jr. said on his way on the war to Iraq: "America is the greatest nation on earth, populated by the most decent people". This moral indulgence basically satisfies the American feeling to be exceptional, it appeals the American self concept. This moral talk wasn't invented by Bush, it's an American tradition going far back, over Reagans's "Evil Empire" back to the founding fathers.

To make it as blunt as possible: What is it that makes America and Americans so very special that they withstand the temptations ordinary earthlings succumb to?

The pre-empive doctrine, and Bush's recent utterings of "freedom and democracy" are both based on the idea that America, with its purity and inherent virtues, is tasked to form the world after its face (by transformation of the middle east, regime change), because only in a world that equals America they can be safe.

The isolationists ironically argue based on the same core argument: They say that America needs to leave entangling alliances, needs to isolate from the filth in the world to stay a pure and virtuous nation.

American exceptionalism, the perception to be the blessed nation, the pure nation, is the core myth of American nationalism, and it's more amiable little brother, patriotism.

The real problem with American Exceptionalism is that the reference to America's per se good will and innocence not only makes American motives elude from the sphere of interest, but from every serious discussion.

Has there been a simple thing as an 'apology' for the butchering of natives during America's colonial reign on the Phillipines? No, Bush instead praised the Phillipines, still ailing, after 50 years of nominal independence, from American involvement, as a model for liberating the middle east. Has there been an apology for Vietnam and all its consequences, namely Agent Orange and it's nasty heritage? No. In fact the non-apology and the vietnamese disclaimer, that is, not to call for reparations, were condition for reinstalling diplomatic relations. Eventually America was there to 'rescue' these people.
    It's hardly so that America innocently stumbled into all these wars, and that all the consequences of these wars were the mere burdens of America's mission to make the world safe for democracy.

The myth of innocence protects America from the irksome burdens to take historical responsibility for the Anarchy, War and Injustice it caused worldwide.
    The insistence that America, uniquely, has virtuous motives (like: We wanted to liberate Iraq while ...), while all others only have pretty egoistical motives (... the petty French and Russians only wanted their Saddam time oil contracts), this attitude makes it difficult to understand the concerns of others, to realistically access it's goals or to understand what it might cause with what it does.

I'd like to close with Graham Greene's line about his Quiet American:
    The notion of innocence is a lovable trait about America, but in politics it's disastrous, a disconnect from reality.

2. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

You're not starting to develop an "America obsession", are you ?

3. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I've never met a man who had better reasons for all the verbosity he did.

You know, I prepared a long response to this, but its not even worth it. The stereotyping has to stop. I'm not even going to add fuel to the fire here.

I'd like to end by saying, I don't give a crap what Graham Greene says.

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Maybe it's worth to ponder about it Pac man. It's not so much about stereotyping but about an abstract discussion about a few phenomenons. As for the Myth of Innocence, I think it's deeply rooted in America - it's not about you ArtE.

And Graham Greene is very much worth a read. As we're on it, the Quiet American especially.

5. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31

Ok, me and Ragusa spoke about this in the chat room, I get it now... its early and I haven't had my coffee yet...

Edit: too early.

6. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

There's lots of things that we Americans can say about Europeans too that would be just as fair as yours about us, but I'm going to have the decency not to make such remarks.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Oh, give "us Europeans" a break. I would more than welcome any topics on "us" that you would care to start. Considering no one is stopping, preventing, or discouraging anyone here from making them, I don't know why AoDA isn't full of such topics. Many Americans here have said in the past that they have so much to say about Europeans, yet when prompted to open topics about it, nothing happens. I wonder why? Surely "decency" is the last thing keeping people back.

Btw, this was just a commercial break to encourage more diverse topics in AoDA; please don't reply to my post here.

8. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31

Ragusa...have you ever heard the phrase "Don't believe the hype"?

Your falling for the hyperbole.

9. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] @ Ragusa

You are using a quote from a fictional work as proof? :rolleyes:

[snip]

[For someone with so much to say, you need to learn to read first.] -Tal

[ January 01, 2004, 23:56: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

10. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31

Great post, Ragusa! I actually like that Graham Greene line (but haven't read the book). This constructivist agrees - America really does think of itself differently. The realists are wrong - what matters is religion, culture, philosophy, ideology, zealotry, ambition...etc.

But one quick point. You say that "American innocence" is both "lovable" and "disastrous". Maybe what you really mean is that America is forgetful - quick to forgive and forget its own sins, as well as the sins of others. That's bad if you want reparations for slavery or Vietnam. But that's good when it comes to dealing with defeated enemies.

Iraq was America's enemy - and now we're trying to make it our best friend in the region. We throttled Germany in two world wars and strangled the eastern side during the Cold War, and yet our feelings are hurt when Germany doesn't help the Iraqi campaign - taking for granted that "of course" our good friend Germany would help, completely forgetting the animosity from the two world wars and the Cold War. Same with Japan...or Britain, the colonial taskmaster we once feared and despised...etc.

A lousy memory and naive goodwill makes for a big, clutzy, well-meaning empire that is genuinely perplexed to find others don't like it. Compared to history's other empires, I'd say that makes America pret' exceptional, no?

11. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31

[​IMG]
    Good points. Americans od tend to make a clear and distinct differentiation between a governmnet and a people.

Iraq was an enemy, not anymore. This changed when the Saddam Regime crumbled. Likewise is the case with the Taliban Afganistan, Hitler's Germany and the Communist East Block.

[ January 02, 2004, 02:20: Message edited by: Blackhawk ]

12. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I have to wonder, Rags -- what in the world would you ever do with your time, if it weren't for writing pieces on how awful the US is -- the country, the economics, American nationalism, American history, ideologies...etc. You're totally obsessed (or is it possessed...) ;)

[ January 01, 2004, 00:35: Message edited by: Spellbound ]

13. Ishmael Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

I think that the "short memory" thing is partly true: America likes to forget it's wrongdoings quickly, but is quick to point out many things best left forgotten: "We bailed France out of WWII bigtime, and now they won't help in Iraq."

But what should be remembered is: "France bailed us out of colonialism big time, and yet we waited until 1942 to help them out."

To this day, the average American would reply that the French are "wimps", not realizing the role France played in the War of Independance.

14. Manus Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Why is it whenever someone challenges the sacntity of America we are bombarded with nationalism? I do not know of any other such national group who holds such mis-placed patrotism. this is the type of behaviour held by zealots, not the common man. I do not refer entirely to this thread alone, but to all similar examples we have seen in recent times.

I have known people and heard their argument on both sides of Palestein and Israel, they are the same, and it is the same I hear here.

People must realize an observation on a cultural mindset is not a personal insult, and may, heaven forbid, even be true. I would welcome such critisism- and critisism is not always to be taken as a negative insult. an observation is what it is and is oft intended for the hopes of improvemnt rather that degradation- of my own country or any other, and would more than likely say such things myself, and yet when it is mentioned of America people cry "It couldn't be so!"

I do not hate Americans, I have friends that are American. I would hope that I could number certain members of this board among them. I have family that is half-American for pete's sake.

Here is the key; we must remove ourselves from the group mind, the cultural psyche that exists and affects our thinking before we can tell what such effects are, or that such a thing even exists. Until this happens, we will not recognize it, and I fear, it hampers our development. This is true the world over.

Now answer me this. How can so many continue to critisize another -the French for example, who are so often called surrender monkeys yet once lead a world-empire greater in it's time than America's is now- and yet fear to point such observation, or any critique that is not praise-full, upon themselves? I fail to grasp at this.

Why the constant justification? Read the thread again in its entirity Look at what has been written. Why is it that so many are afraid to say their country has done wrong- all that is offered is excuses and reasoning, and balancing of scales, when no-one even asks for recompence but sheer admittence, that is all. That is the beggining of emancipation. You who believe yourself so free are tied with thicker chains than any mortal hand could devise.

Honestly, I say this only because I think that it will benefit those who listen. Seperate yourself from your country and it's ideaologies, form yourself distinct from any other as best you can, and look at them as if seperate, and in this light, wait, observe, listen, spend as much time like this as you can, an then form your judgement upon this new basis. What do you see?

This is not only a technique for clear sight of patriotism. It is an invaluable ability for life. I want to re-iterate. I do not say a thing on anyone themselves, I merely ask you to consider things in a different light. Faith that you can do no wrong is quite often what leads to it.

[ January 02, 2004, 12:50: Message edited by: Manus ]

15. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Regarding the french surrender monkeys, I really don't see how this can be viewed so bad. By the time they surrendered, their army had take a severe beating at the hands of the Wehrmacht. Most nations I know will see the futility in fighting when their capital city falls to the enenmy.

Besides that, I'm Danish, If there was one nation in WWII that could be called surrender monkeys, it would be us. We stopped fighting after some few hours. However, I don't feel bad about this either. When youy are invaded by a nation, which army is the size of your own population and you don't have any easily defended terrain, I really don't see any reason to continue fighting.

As for the americans liberating europe during the to wars... Well, let me point out that I really respect the american war effort, but I don't hold the view that they singledhanded defeated germany. (They did almost so against Japan though.) Without American influence, germany might have won, but so they might without either Brittain or Russia fighting. I would go as far as to say, that russia not being part of the war would have been more crusial that america not being part.

16. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31

Well gorsh darn it cowboy! Don't blow your own argument out of the water in your first sentence!

Ok first things first, when you "challenge the sanctity of America..." Well lets see... when you group every one of us into a catch all, you're going to get some opposition. We don't ALL think everything the U.S. does is peachy, we don't ALL buy the excuses presented for what is done.

Note to the critics: The U.S. has done some pretty screwed up stuff for very sketchy reasons, but let me let you in on a secret!:

WE KNOW.

"Misplaced Patriotism... not the type of behavior held by common man but by zealots, blah blah blah"

When I was in high school, we had this drug counselor, she used to use logic like this:

Her - "Are you using drugs?"
    Kid - "No"
    Her - "Well obviously you are, or you wouldn't have to deny it."

So if you criticize, and the object of the criticism disagrees, they're clearly wrong... this unfortunately seems to be the preferred debating logic prevalent at SP.

"You disagree!? You must be a zealot!" :rolleyes:

Rather I'd question the zealousness of the guys who keep posting over and over and over on virtually the same topics, and basically just sit around agreeing happily with each other, looking on with utter scorn at someone who disagrees. Amazing.

Let me summarize: America BAD. Bush BAD. Americans brainwashed zombies that couldn't find their ass with both hands and a flashlight.

Yeah you're just trying to help...

:lol: Since you're not an American I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on this one, but in our country, when you start up a statement like that, it means the opposite.

Example, right before someone makes a typically racist remark, they'll say, "You know, some of my best friends are black!...."

"Why the constant justification?"

Why the constant criticism?

On the topic of American Exeptionalism...
    here's my honest non-patriotic non-zealot thoughts.

Yep the country has excuses for stuff it does. All countries do. Nothing unusual about it.

It would have been a *little* awkward if for example Bush had say prior to invading Iraq, "well we're going to invade because we want to spread fear throughout the region to anyone thinking about launching attacks on us, or harboring those who would."

It would have been awkward if he'd said, "We just want to pump the region dry of its natural resources."

It would have been awkward if he'd said, "we need to get Halliburton a fat deal over there so Dick can buy a bionic schlong, to match that nifty pacemaker."

It would have been awkward if he'd said, "Manus, when are we going to have that cig out by the bicycle rack?"

And to reiterate, the country does some screwed up stuff, the government has reasons and excuses:

WE KNOW

17. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I knew it! :lol:

P.S. while I think that U.S. citizens do, in general, tend to get their backs up when criticized, I think ArtEChoke nailed it with this:

18. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31

I think some of the world's animosity towards America has led to a "us vs. them" mentality in some Americans. Here in the States, it is commonly believed that we will be treated badly if we travel abroad, especially in Europe. We all carry the prejudicial label of "ugly-American". So maybe we (I) are a little...sensitive.

19. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I think the anomisity from coming from there accomplished the same thing here. Reciprocity, I think. At least, Canada, Australia and New Zealand have seen uknown heights as foreign destinations from my country.

20. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31

Oh, c'mon, guys...I think the REAL issue is that people who post to the AoDA are a self-selected group. People who are indifferent about these issues don't bother posting here - they save their energy for debating the merits of Horrid Wilting vs. Meteor Storm. (My vote is for Wilting.)

What's the problem if we post like blind zealots and take up extreme positions hardly reconcilable with the truth, much less each other? Let's just be honest and admit that 90% of the world either a) doesn't care, or b) holds stereotypes far cruder than anything we rattle and battle with here. Maybe all our posts should come with a disclaimer: "I do not speak for my host government."

So lighten up, y'all - and keep at it, Ragusa.

Oh, and Manus: Vive la France!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.