1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Am I Evil - Yes I AM!

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition' started by Marceror, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Feel free to hum the Diamond Head song as you read this, or play the Metallica remake (not because it's particularly relevant, but because it majorly kicks ass).

At any rate, I have been playing Baldur's Gate since it was first released, as I've mentioned numerous times around here. The thing is, with all of my playthroughs, which number too many to recount, I have ALWAYS played as a goody two shoes. Keldorn, Anomen, and Ajantis have been staple party members. The good path has always felt... "right".

But now that I'm well into chapter 3 of BG2:EE with an evil party that started its adventure in Candlekeep, I am enjoying this far more than I ever thought possible. Additions like Dorn and Hexxat certainly have helped to that end.

I'm done telling people that playing good is the most rewarding path. Not necessarily, and in many cases, actually not true. I think going forward I will be just as likely to go evil as go good.

So when asked, am I evil... in my current state of mind, yes I f%^$in' am is the best response I can give!!

Has EE influenced any other fallen Paladins among us? If so, I have one more offering to help you seal the deal:

Enjoy! And for those in the US, have an EVIL Thanksgiving!!! May the slaughter be abundant. The throne of Blood awaits! :)

(I originally posted this on the Beamdog forums, but thought I'd see what the response here would be also)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Heh, classic rock and evil, way to go. I usually play 1/3 evil to 2/3 good runs on my various games. Evil can be fun.

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I refuse to play evil because, as we all know, doing so corrupts gamers' souls and I don't want to become a mass murderer.

4. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Unfortunately I had not realized this in time, and I *accidentally* slaughtered half my neighborhood this morning. In my defense, I thought I was playing Baldur's Gate at the time.

At any rate, as a precautionary measure going forward I will be sure to play with a good party for one hour for every 2 hours I play with an evil party.

I might have actually been dreaming about slaughtering my neighbors in all honesty, or daydreaming... or making it up.

Oh, and for for it's worth, most of my neighbors are spiders and ants.

5. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I rarely make decisions in-game just to further a greater good or evil. Most of the time I just want the best results possible (for me).

I guess that makes my characters neutral evil, though if we go by sheer results then my characters could as easily be neutral good (below average death count, lost of people helped/saved, etc).

6. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This is why extreme and/or gratuitous violence in video games needs to be curtailed - people thinking they are acting out a video game situation. (I'm actually only half-joking about this.)

That pretty much summarizes my approach to gaming as well, although I tend to draw the line at some things. For example, I have no problem stealing from a "good" vendor to get something I want, but I wouldn't kill him/her to get the same result.

7. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    This. Although I do have a tendency to pick the good choices, I have no problems letting my paladin take over the kidnapping to get those silver pantaloons.

In general, though, evil in BG is unattractive because it isn't the most profitable. That and the choices are usually stupidly evil, which is mostly hard to roleplay as well, even for an ostensibly evil character. Unless you used INT as a dump stat. And WIS.

8. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

A few of the mods do a nice job of adding evil-choices to the game. Assassinations for instance.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.