1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Almost done with the Dark Elf Trilogy

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Frog, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

I started my Forgotten Realms reading with the Dark Elf Trilogy and now I'm nearly done and need to know where I should go next. Should I continue with the adventures of Drizzt Do'Urden or should I start another story altogether? I heard Drizzt's other books aren't up to par. Calling those who have already read a good amount of FR books to give me advice. Whats good and whats not?

2. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

The rest of the Drizzt books are just as good. There are some that a little weak but most are quite good.

I've heard that the Cleric series is good as is the Elminters books.

3. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I actually found the original Drizzt series (starting with The Crystal Shard) to be the best. The characters were fresh then and the style of writing a lot more interesting. But as time went by, Drizzt went from being a stand out character to a run of the mill character: i.e. the usual guy in a fantasy series who's tremendously good at fighting with swords.

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Give up on Drizzt while you're still ahead. Maybe the Icewind Dale Trilogy is worth reading, but The Legacy of the Drow and Paths of Darkness are crap.

5. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I'd read the Hunter's Blades trilogy, even though they are not completed.

6. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Only read the Dark Elf trio and the Crystal Shard so far, they are all great books "so far.

7. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Read all of Salvatore's Drizzt and Entreri novels (even 'That Curious Sword' short-story). I've become attached and I'm eagerly awaiting 'The Two Swords'. I enjoy the character Drizzt but what I enjoy far more is the Battlehammer Clan. I find Dwarves to be the most interesting race in the Forgotten Realms and Salvatore seems to favour them.

If you read the Drizzt novels read them all the way. The characters develop and there is a feeling of empire building at the same time.

8. christopher_c_pitzer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I have read all of the Drizzt novels and must say that all of them kept me interested. If you have the time, I would suggest reading through all of them (of course I have suffered through the Jordan series about 5 full times too, so take it for what it is worth).

I would also suggest the War of the Spider Queen series (three books are out now). That series is action packed and even though different writers have done each book, so far I cannot complain on the quality of the writing.

My last set is the Cleric Quintet. I have read the first two so far, but Salvatore rocks in this one (I like clerics, so this series rocks for me).

9. RangerFox Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

My opinion is that all the Drizzt books are very good.

Read The Cleric Quintet before continuing the Drizzt series though, some of the characters from it make an appearance in one of the Drizzt books and you will understand things better when you reach that point. And besides that, Cleric Quintet is a great series. In fact it's my most favorite out of all of Salvatore's work.

10. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

/bit of an off topic rant/

I'm actually reading book 4 of the Cleric Quintet now and it seems to have quite a lot of things in common with the Drizzt books: wildly unbelievable characters, run-of-the-mill storyline and world-saving every third page. I find myself cringing every time Cadderly makes some speech that sounds like he's spent half an hour polishing it beforehand.

/end of bit ofd an off topic rant/

11. Woodwyrm Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] I haven't read anything of Salvatore... should i???

12. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

OMG Should you? YES!!! :D Salvatore is one of the best authors of the lot. I've read just about everything I can get my hands on by him and have never been disappointed (except for the Cleric Quintet). But he is an indispensable FR author -- his books are magnificent and his development of the Drizzt character is really quite something. If you intend to get a complete feel for FR reading, you shouldn't miss his works.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.