1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

All right, I'm doing it.

Discussion in 'Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor' started by Samael Venom of God, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Samael Venom of God Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I'm going to give this game another try!

I got this when it came out and it got very little play in part because I sucked so much at it, in part because it was slow as a sleeping snail and in part because crashes were constant (and oh the joy of finding out what uninstalling would do -.-). I'm older, I might be wiser, I've got the patches and importantly I've got the speed mod.

Usually I like to solo in games, maybe that makes me strange but I'm guessing not, I imagine a lot of people do solo challenges once or twice and then start to just like the style and getting to ignore the micromanagement. That said, I'm not familiar with this and it's been years since I've played turn based so I'm going for two characters ... I hope this will work out for me.

First will be a cleric, I hear that you get to level sixteen and can get more experience which you can use to level up another class (if you have less than a full party), that being so I guess I'll throw in a bit of fighter to help protect a sorcerer who will grab a couple levels of rogue.

I imagine I am going to really hate myself soon for attempting this, but I paid full price for this as a kid and I've hardly played the cursed thing!

2. uglijimus Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

so how has it been going for you? I know a lot of people hate this game but I like it for what it is.

Just be careful of some of the bugs...especially the one that I just posted today!

good luck

3. ZalmanP Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Media:
    Soloing as a cleric is brutal starting out because you will die frequently and have to reload several times to get past certain fights early in the game. It gets a lot easier once you get some of the higher level spells that make dealing with master shadows (or other tough undead) easy. Getting access to more buffs helps as well. You can be tough to hit once you're fully buffed and have a decent shield and set of armor (I don't even use a shield anymore now that I have a really nice +2 spear that does 3x damage and 5x on crits).

Edit: Also, you don't have to get to 16 to be able to multiclass; you can multiclass at any time. Just make sure that your non-favored classes stay within 1 level of each other or you'll start getting XP penalties. Currently I have a Half-Elf L12 Cleric/L3 Rogue/L4 Fighter and I don't get any penalties. I went with the premade character Skylar because she has the best overall stats for a Cleric (higher than what you could get from a custom made character).

If I had to duo it, I imagine the most effective combination would be Cleric/Rogue paired with a Paladin or Cleric/Rogue paired with a Sorcerer. The reason for this is that multiclassing as Rogue will make you level faster (since the Rogue character would get more XP from disabling traps and opening locks). A high level Cleric can easily carry just about any other class. You don't even need that many levels in Rogue to be able to open most locks or disable any traps in the game (especially if you have the Skill Focus feat). Both the premade Cleric and Paladin have excellent starting attributes (much better than you could allocate with a custom character).

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.