1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

All marriages banned?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Harbourboy, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

All marriages banned in Oregon county

This appeared in a New Zealand newspaper. Is it for real? Or is it another example of news getting distorted by the time it gets overseas?

If it is for real then it is odd twist in the whole gay marriage debate. :confused:

2. Sojourner Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I believe it's for real. I appreciate their unique response to the "law and order" folks.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    That's horrible if true. People plan weddings in many cases for over a year in advance of the actual wedding date. However, most states have laws that say you can't apply for a marriage license more than 3 months in advance of the wedding. So if people are denied the opportunity to get married, does that mean they have to leave the county to get married, essentially ruin the entire continuity of the day, not to mention not getting the full enjoyment out of a day that you may have spent thousands of dollars on. Un-freaking-believable if true...

I mean if it's three months away from the wedding, there's not much you can do to change things at that point - you already placed a helfty deposit on the hall for the reception, the florist, the photographer, etc.

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Experience dictates, behind that stays another irresponsible idiot, or an assortment of irresponsible idiots, who will do anything to push forward his career no matter the mess that is made along the way.

Astonishing is what people will do to gain a little publicity.

5. Sojourner Gems: 8/31

If this was a publicity stunt, they forgot to call a press conference. :rolleyes:

6. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Least they are being fair. Instead of discriminating against homosexuals they just zap everybody. To be honest I applaud this move.

7. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

This has got to be the one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.
    It's the same principle as the (idiotic) saying: "I'm not prejudiced, I hate everybody."

8. Eaglearrow Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I am not to sure what to think about this. On the one hand I think this way they are questioning heterosexuell marriages as well, but on the other it is probably a good sign that some ultimate decision has to be made.

9. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Hey, at least it leaves everybody on even ground. More then likely, this will all be cleared up within three months or less.

I think that it is a good idea. Equal rights and all that.

10. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Y'know, why not eliminate marriage altogether? We don't need marriage for sex - abortion and STDs are hardly obstacles to extramarital fun. We don't need marriage for childraising - children of single-parent families show only minor double-digit increases in criminality and poverty. We don't need marriage for commitment - unmarried people are often so committed to commitment that they serially commit to amours du jour. And we certainly don't need marriage to maintain the heterosexual hegemony that has been supported for only, oh, all of history save the last inexplicably enlightened decade.

We really only need marriage as the incidental vehicle to promote equality and gain economic benefits. But the equality argument doesn't sustain marriage because there'll always be some extra relationship - polygamy, bestiality, child-adult, S&M slavery - that wouldn't (yet) be covered. And the economic benefits would be a null point if we just eliminated marriage entirely and put everyone on an equal playing field, forcing corporations and governments to offer benefits to everyone in a temporarily-committed, currently-loving, historically-disconnected relationship.

Maybe this is the beginning of a real trend! Down with marriage!

11. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't know about this being a publicity stunt per se, but they are certainly trying to prove a point. While I guess there is some merit in the thought behind it, I personally think they're doing it in a terribly inconsiderate way, as the point has been made above. I know that if I were getting married, and I'd planned it a year or more in advance, and spent all that money and had my family make all those plans to attend, only to be told that all weddings were off because my city council has a stiffy for proving a point of political principle...

Let's just say I'd introduce my foot to quite a few asses. :mad:

12. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm sure they will change their tune when they get threatened with lawsuits to cover all the costs of ruined weddings. Nevermind the pain and suffering involved.

13. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

What pain and suffering? So your wedding may or may not get put on hold for a while. Big deal. This is just in one county, and it probably won't take more then a few weeks to decide.

I am sure that people can reschedule or relocate in the name of progress and enlightenment.

14. Sojourner Gems: 8/31

Indeed. Haven't seen a wedding yet that didn't experience problems of one sort or another.

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    That's the point - planning a wedding and having it go off smoothly is hard to do. You certainly don't need additional obstacles put up in your way. I got married in June 2003, and we had planned the wedding for about a year prior to that. If, on March 24, 2003, I found out that the county wouldn't issue me a marriage license, I'd have a major problem on my hands. First of all, we were getting married in a church, and most churches can only do one marriage per day. So not only would I have to find another Catholic church, I'd have to find one that hadn't already scheduled a wedding for that day, not to mention a priest who was willing to conduct the ceremony even though neither of us were members of that parrish, and neither of us would ever attend that church again. It's not as easy as just saying "go to another county to get married".

16. Sojourner Gems: 8/31

*Remembering all the obstacles overcome in putting together a long-distance wedding* - I still don't see a problem.

17. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

OK, next time I have to organise a wedding when I have no location and no license and only a month to go....I will be calling Sojourner who is clearly some sort of super-human Wedding Planner.

18. Sojourner Gems: 8/31

3 months, actually, with a narrow window to set the date, wedding set in a completely different county several hundred miles away, the families located across multiple states, not to mention the husband-to-be was overseas. Beat that. :p

19. Harbourboy

Yes, that is all very admirable, but that is from a standing start with no sunk costs. The problem being raised by Aldeth and Death Rabbit is when you have already: put a deposit on the location, ordered the flowers, arranged flights and accomodation for guests, sent and received invitations, booked the transport, booked the entertainment and done your time in the local church so they'll let you marry there AND THEN having to unwind all those arrangements (at no small cost) all before then undertaking the steps that you are referring to.

Whatever pain and hassle you managed to negotiate - this would be twice as bad and be even more frustrating because it would due to curcumstances completely beyond your control.

Sounds like 'a problem' to me.

20. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    @ Harbourboy

Thank you for elaborating on my point. That's the point I was trying to make. It's not only what you have to change in order to get married elsewhere, it's all the wasted work you put into the wedding at that point that is essentially lost. Add to the fact that in many cases you have already made a significant monetary investment, and it causes problems. Especially if you already sent out invitations, since they have where the wedding takes place on them. You either have to re-send the invitations (which easily costs a few hundred dollars for the invitations and postage) or personally call everyone with the change of plans. Since I had about 120 people at my wedding, it would have been a huge amount of work.

One thing I'm not sure about - with this new policy in Oregon - I think it only applies to issuing a new marriage license. For example, if you applied and recieved a marriage license last week, and were planning on getting married this week, I think you're still good to go. The big problem would be if you were in that 2-3 months before the wedding. You didn't get the license yet because your county law says you can't apply until you are within 60 or 90 days of the wedding date, but yet you've already put down all of your deposits and sent out all of your invitations...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.