1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Alignment

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Mercury Star, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Mercury Star Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

As you may all know, the most wondrous thing in PS:T is its great alignment system. Just for the sake of simple discussion on our favourite game, i want to ask: What alignment fits your playing?

Basically when i dont want to roleplay and want make choises on my own judgement, i come up as Chaotic Neutral(evil in some cases). Mind you, i dont go about mindless killing and pointless lying. I simply do anything which would benefit me in any way. I ivolve myself(in PS:T) with somebody *only* if they are of use to me.

Next time id go for Lawful Evil or Lawful Good.

2. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

It always seemed to me the game encouraged you to play Lawful Good, as acting otherwise would cut you out of alot of quests, as well as deprive you from some pretty powerful goodies.

Lawful Evil would be a nice challenge: take all the "vow" and "truth" dialog options, but still threaten everyone you can and, of course, always demand payment.

Actually, I would be interested to hear from more people about options when playing Chaotic Evil, like my currently running (tho neglected) current game (still haven't gone to Ravel's maze). Fun things I've noticed so far:

- Multiple factions: TNO is currently a Xaosite, an Anarchist, and a Godsman, and the Sensates think he's a Sensate. Unfortunately, the dialog to infiltrate the Dustmen is broken (yeah, I didn't install the patch :o ).

- Talk to random Gith townspeople, tell them Daakon is your slave, insult them until they attack, and then make Daakon kill them.

- Take Many-as-One's quest and steal the Silent Kings skull (can anything be done with this other than selling it or giving it to Lothar in exchange for Morte?).

- Lie to Mourns for Trees, wish that his trees would die, and then have Ignus burn them down.

- Sell Nordom into slavery.

- Generally lie, cheat, threaten, insult, steal, and kill whenever convenient.

Question: are there more Anarchist quests after blowing up the Godsmen machine and doing the assassinations for Scofflaw Penn? Leena always asks if you've disrupted anyone's plans; well, is it possible to disrupt anyone's plans?

3. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

@Bion, when can you become a Xaosite? Are they the 'barking' ones? If so I don't ever remember having the option to join them. Hmm.

4. Bion Gems: 21/31

Talk to Barking Wilder (not the Starved Dog Barking Thugs, or whatever their name was) and say the craziest things you can think of. Plus, he gives you some nice hints in the game and some XP. Plus it makes you very chaotic. I wasn't able to get any items from him tho; nor did Fell have a Xaosite tattoo. Maybe some of these are patch issues? It's also fun to kick Barking Wilder in the shins. In any case, you remain a Xaosite even after joining other factions...

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Should probably try to join some of the factions in my next game... In my first one, I basically just ignored them.

Came out as neutral good and incidentally that is what those AD&D quizzes also say.

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

yea, im playing now for the first time, just got to curst and im NG too. ah, crap. I didn't know that you could join more than one faction :bang:

7. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    When talking to Barking make sure to talk to him again and join a second time for an additional experience boost.

8. Bion Gems: 21/31

I'm not entirely sure about this, but it seems that you have to be very chaotic in order to take more than one faction. The best rewards in the game, tho, seem to come from being lawful...

9. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Agreed. It does seem like the best stat bonuses and xp come from playing LG. With just a few exceptions (and those don't really affect you much).

10. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Everytime i have played i have ended up as Neutral good or Chaotic Good. Btw, randomly attacking Black Abishais in the street is considered a Chaotic action.

By beeing in several guilds you mean that for example joining the godsmen, you still has access to all the sensate sensoriums and such ? if it is i guess thats becose they didnt want it to break your game.

11. Bion Gems: 21/31

It seems to be part of the story line: if you're an anarchist and you talk to Splinter about becoming a Sensate, you have the option to lie when you say you want to become a Sensate and give up being part of "this other faction" (you're very secretive as an Anarchist, no?), and to only "pretend" to learn the Sensate skill of Sensory Touch. Then you get access to the sensate store (I'm not sure whether you can use the items), the private sensoriums, and your old room.

On my character screen, I can click on the circle with the faction symbols and cycle through showing Xaosite, Anarchist, and Godsman. I'm not sure, because the quest to infiltrate the Dustmen as an Anarchist was broken in my game, but it might be possible to be a Dustman as well, and so to have four factions at the same time (along with access to the fifth).

12. Killjoy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Neutral evil or lawful evil are probably the hardest alignments to get.

Chaotic evil can be great fun, especially if you have the right stats for it to get all the dialogue options.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.