1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Alignment Question

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Darien Noella, Jul 3, 2001.

1. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Ok, I've got a question for you. I'm sure all you old-timers ;) have heard it before, but if you could give me your input too, I'd be most appreciative.

My problem is that many people seem to label anyone of Chaotic Neutral alignment as insane. I agree that some types of "insanity" may indeed fall under this category, but I also believe that CN does not automatically = insane. Now, while I've always had a clear idea in my head of how to play CN, it seems lately that I can't put it into words. And when I do, someone will throw back TN at me as a more appropriate alignment. Yet the Middle of the road outlook of a TN is not at all why I'm trying to put across. The PHB gives an example of CN as a wandering bard who is unconstrained by both society's restrictions and the zeal of a do-gooder. Where is the insanity in that? Unpredictable, selfish yes, even extreme, but insane? Not at all.

Anyway, I'm sure this is a debate that's been going on for years, and I'd appreciate some input from all you longtime RPers.

/me shuts up now.

2. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I always pictures a CN character as someone that does not really fit into the other alignments. They act on whims, they usually don't forge alliances, they don't mesh well with society, etc.

Bateluer, the Halfling Ranger, borders between CG and CN. I still developing his character. :)

3. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I beleive that you are correct. Chaotic Neutral does not mean insane. Many players have used this alignment in that way, but they were missing the mark. Someone who is CN would beleive that individuals should be able to do what they feel is best for themselves without social restraints. They would also have a view that the forces of good and evil are necessary to keep each other in check. Individual acts of good or evil are acceptable so long as they serve the needs of the individual. The ends justify the means.

4. Tyresian Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I don't believe that CN people would feel the balance would need to be kept. I always felt that CN people only cared about number 1 and so on. Not insane, just lack of caring. So as long as they're happy then anything is justifiable in their sense.

5. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Yup, young 'un, this ole timer would agree with Tyresian. IMHO CNs would be much more concerned with the Chaotic side of their personality and would care little about 'minor' issues like right or wrong. They would loathe rules and regulations, fight for the the individual (ie themselves) and be more concerned with tearing down than building. They might be anarchistic but not crazy.
    Ohmigod, what have you done with your hair?

[This message has been edited by Erran (edited July 04, 2001).]

6. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Well I personally see CN people as free spirits looking out for number one, disliking law and regulated life. I think most thiefs should fall in the category. Obviously they are looking out for themselves, and though they aren't really evil or necessarily good, they aren't someone who strives for balance either. In fact, I've always thought that whole balance BS in the neutral alignments is overblown. People don't really care about maintaining a balance in the world or anything like that. It's just they either look our for themselves, or lie somwhere inbetween a regimented, daily rut type lifestyle and a wadering free spirit. A CN person could be as simple as someone who won't go out of his way to help a person in need if he doesn't know them or won't get anything in return, and someone who perfers a free life as opesed to being tied down with jobs or responsibilities.

Edit: Actually, I'd think CE would be closer to insane than CN....just a thought.

[This message has been edited by Crawl (edited July 04, 2001).]

7. Kerric Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Since we're already discussing CN, I need your help. My DND3E sorcerer is a guy who don't care about others, only adventures with others so that his powers can grow to the extreme. He loves fire and have currently burned down 2 warehouses, due to a few fireballs vs bad guys, a tavern due to a barfight vs fireball thus killing 10-20 innocent people (In self defence). The other guys in his party consider him as a pyromanic psycho.
    He got some evil tendeces, but have been fighting evil with his party. Not that it matters to him. He could just as good have been fighting the local government. Anyway I have taken the online alignment test on the WoT site,came out CN. I also tried a another test there I came out NE. But I will also ask you guys. Does this sound like a CN person or some Evil alignment. I consider him as CN, what do you think?

[This message has been edited by Kerric (edited July 04, 2001).]

8. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Hmmm....In my mind, there's always been a fine line between a CN character and a CE character. Neither have any regard for order, and both are clearly self-centred. The distinction I've always used is that a CE character tends to be actively malicious; CN characters are more just anarchists for their own purposes. Sounds like your sorcerer is leaning a wee bit to the CE side -- or he could just be wacked.

[This message has been edited by Gnolyn Lochbreaker (edited July 05, 2001).]

9. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

As for the balance I'm with Crawl. I think the only character type that would care about balance is the TN. A CN character, by defination, does not think about their actions they simply take them. CN are not actively good or evil, hence they take actions that help them and to hell with the outcome. The choatic part of their nature clearly gives them a tare down vs. build up personality but mostly a someone not involved. CN is the wandering spirit not serving any but themselves. They don't look for trouble like a CE they just look out for their own survival. If burning down a village would help a CN character they would do it, but on the other hand if defending that same village would further their aims they would do that as well.

I view CN as the feeling, intuitive, artistic types that other can't really understand.

10. E Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hello, I keep hearing about this alignment test, so I'm just wondering where can I find it. Is it posted on an Internet site somewhere or dose it come with the books?

Thanks

11. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

12. Reeky thestenchful goblin Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

i agree that a cn is not always insane but i usually make them insane because it is fun.

13. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

CN is probably the hardest alignment to play -- the whole point of that alignment is that they are unpredictable. They'll slide back and forth between what seem to be good and evil acts, but it's really about what's best for the character. From a DM's perspective, a CN character who strays too much to the good spectrum may find their alignment changed to CG, and vice-versa for evil.

The insanity bit (my wife pointed this out to me when she read the thread) doesn't necessarily fall into a question of alignment. A character of any alignment could be completely insane -- a LG Paladin who is overly zealous (to the point of being obsessed) in his fight against evil, could be considered insane as much as any CN character.

14. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Cool avatar, Darien! :cool:

15. ClammyRyu Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

No. Haven't you ever played Torment Or BG or anything like that? Annah is CN but she's far from insane.

16. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Well if I remember right, Jan is CN and he's pretty damn nutty ;)

17. Kerric Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

CN hard to play?
    It just comes naturally to me. :D
    Unpredictable?
    Yes,alot. Sometimes my charcter can be more bold in combat than our Half-orc Barbarian/Fighter, and two second later Im gone and nowhere to be seen for the next 10 minutes (Imp. Invisibility) :p

18. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

In my mind CN isnot insane but a pwrson who will fallow there whims never furthering a spisific cause but generally helping good. And not giving a care about what the laws say beliving in the saying of if you gant prove I did it I didn't do it.

19. GONMAR Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Isn't acting on a whim...sometimes helping others for no reason, other times looking out for one self, and then another time fireballing the local church...The only definition appliable is that they will do whatever they want and not always in just their own interest....that is bordering on evil.

20. Killer Dwarf Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] I find CN is easy to play if you have a character that has a low Int as my 1/2 Ogre fighter form The Best Of Dragon #4. (I think that was the #)

He try’s to act like other party members or other NPC’s that impress him i.e. a mage casts a kick ass spell and next thing the 1/2 Ogre is not wearing armour and using a staff but by the same if the mage hurts his feelings like "would you stop taking my regents you stupid muscle bound door opener." and the armour and axe are back.

Laws aren’t a concern to him because he is to slow to understand why he must give up his axe when entering some areas
    Guard: “you must take you weapon before see Milord.”
    ½ Ogre: “No me axe you get you now!”
    Guard: “You will get it back when you leave we don’t want any body hurt.”
    ½ ogre: “I no use axe to kill my promise so I keep ok.”
    And so on….

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.