1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Beren, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I just saw it tonight. Not bad I must say.

What surprised me was they were willing to plant the Alien infestation right next to an unsuspecting small town.

In past movies, its usually been a mix of tough grown up men (e.g. marines), the odd tough woman who can hack it, greedy power grubbers, overly curious scientists, criminal scumbags, etc. who've been exposed to the threats, either Alien or Predator.

This time, literally no one was safe. Not eight year old boys on hunting trips with their fathers, not pregnant mothers, not the cliched blonde damsel in distress. No one.

The Predator-Alien hybrid kicked ass. I wonder how it'd match up with the original Alien Queen. The lone wolf Predator rocked as well.

Pretty gory in parts, but the action was pretty cool I thought.

Edit: And of course, they just have to plant a cliffhanger at the end to suggest a forthcoming sequel. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2008
  2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm looking forward to seeing this one. From what I've heard, the makers of AVP2 went to great pains to make this film THE film the AVP fanboys have been waiting to see, and took notes on all the disappointments of the last one (which was pretty lame all in all and dreadfully written, IMO). Part of the nod to the fans was the upped level of violence, doing away with any possibility of a PG-13 rating. Which, IMO, was a very smart move.

Anyway, thanks Beren for reminding me that this finally came out! :D Now I'll have to go see it and report back.

:thumb:

3. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I must admit I didn't find it that good. I thought there wasn't much in the way of plot (again) and not much character development either (I don't really know why they bothered to have so many human characters). The action was pretty good though, and the predator was cool -never seemed to run out of that handy vapourising blue liquid though. O.o"

4. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    Well, its waaaaaay better than the first movie. Not great, but decent enough (the ONLY humans in AVP should be space marines armed to the teeth). The predator was too cool. One complaint was that the movie was too dark and the action scenes too fast, add those two together and I can barely see whats happening on screen (the aliens being pitch black doesn't help either).

5. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I thought it was incredibly stupid. Space ship crashes a few miles from a town. Then the predator blows it up. And nobody hears anything? Guy gets impaled by a alien tail, limps for a few scenes, then is perfecty allright? A colonel gives the orders to nuke the town, didn`t know a simple colonel could authorize something like that. Not a single citizen over the age of 40 living in the town. Guy and girl having sex for the first time, decides to do it in the pool, inside the school. And when the alien jumps in, they don`t run for the exit that is 5 feet away, in the form of an open door. Nope, they run for the one farthest away, wich is naturally locked at night. EX US soldier chic can aparantly drive a tank as well as a chopper. Alien blood only harms the non-main cast. LOADS of pregnant women and infants in a town consisting of only 5700 people.
    It takes the national guard 5 minutes to show up. The aliens grows up after 2-3 minutes. As did the predalien. And so on...

The predator kicked ass though. As expected.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  6. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I had to agree with everything that Rawgrim posted... except for "over age 40 citizens" line. This is a wee bit better than the first AVP but it is still crap. The fight scenes would have been great if only they were not too fast or too dark to see. If you really want some kick-ass movies, renting Arnie's Predator and Weaver's Alien series would be more worth it.

7. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I watched it again last night. If I`m not mistaken: The sheriff called in the national guard even before they knew there were monsters in the town. He had 2 missing persons and a skinned corpse hanging from the tree. Thats all the info he had at the time. The sheriff has aparantly no idea where the guns are in the store as well. Luckily he asks the blonde bimbo where to find it, and she goes to pick them up. 10 feet away, on a huge wall.

8. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

And we have to hand it to blondie, she's the high-class type of girl but knows where the guns are. :grins:

9. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I would say that they put in the scenes with the little boy becoming alien egg-bait, the pregnant mother, and the clip of babies lying in a hospital nursery, were just for shock value because you usually don't see the innocent become victims. It didn't make the movie any better in my opinion. At least they didn't kill the dog that they showed in the beginning. (Or elude to it.)

As far as I'm concerned it was just another typical alien monster flick. Worth a watch for the special effects but not really worth much more.

10. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    This is actually a problem in the Alien series as well, though certainly most notable in the first Alien. Alien-spawn burst from chest, they look for it, find a single shedded skin and *poof* the 40-50 cm long alien-spawn has somehow grown into a roughly 3 meters long, fully grown alien. One would imagine it would've needed some nourishment to grow in that period, if only to fulfill something as simple as the law of conservation of mass. But not these guys, no. Though I must say that I was glad the cat remained safe due to this apparent disregard of simple physics.

11. Cal Jones

Cal Jones I'm not dead yet

I thought it was pretty poor. The characters were one dimensional and unsympathetic. At least the first AvP had some fairly decent actors and characters who you cared about just a little bit.
    In this you had some stereotypical teens, a gulf war mother/Ripley-alike who seemed strangely unphased by the gruesome death of her husband, and some other throw away characters who I've already forgotten.
    There were too many inconsistencies - things like what alien blood ate through and what it didn't, the strange impregnation of the pregnant woman by the non-queen predalien, the fact the Predator had time to kill and skill the deputy despite going to great lengths to pour blue Kool-Aid on every other corpse left by him or the aliens...oh and the fact that the aliens who massacred a crew of heavily armed Space Marines in Aliens were killed quite easily by the teens with current day hunting guns.
    It was a so so flick - not entirely unwatchable, but probably the worst movie in the Aliens and Predator franchise.

12. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

I wasnt impressed either. it was entirely unmemorable. Sure, I dont think anyone expected something up to standard with Aliens.

but, something lacking a stereotypical teen romance would be nice. really, what good did the romance do? the plot with the ex con, the nerdy kid and the hot girl, what was up with that? what does that show about a predator? (other than setting up unintended humorous event towards the end of the movie).

I also found it surprising that in this one movie, a child and a pregnant woman got killed on screen. Never seen that in any movie ever, and I dont think it added to this one.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.