1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

ALFA Player Apps Reopened!

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Sir Belisarius, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Check this out! Now is your chance to join in the fun!!! ALFA is accepting player applications again!!! 500 new slots have opened up! Read below:

Sunday, April 27, 2003
    Mandos

8:36:48 PM CDT
    Player Apps Open
    We are raising our player cap to 1500 and the player apps are open at this time.

Or go to: www.alandfaraway.net

[ May 06, 2003, 22:20: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

This is a NwN multiplayer game right?

How does one play this???
    I've read that page but is still dont get it completely :rolleyes: .

3. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] Yes, it's an NWN game module...But it is an online recreation of Faerun...So far there are about 10 servers online and active. For all intents and purposes, it's just like BEING in Faerun...You can visit Baldur's Gate, Silverymoon, The Dale Lands, etc...It's very similar to pnp DnD; there is a DM on who helps build the story, and there are various challenges for the players to overcome.

For instance, on the server I am playing on, there is a current large scale quest to find a long lost secret of metalurgy. We are racing against time and against the Zhentarrim to find this secret...It has led to many exciting adventures and battles! I don't want to go into too much detail about...I don't want to spoil the fun!

Getting in is the difficult part. ALFA is looking for role players, not metagamers and folks who are just out to get +12 Hackmaster 2000 swords and go romping through the world! To play, think up a character you'd like to begin with, then write up a short background history of that character's life...The DM's read the history, and if they like it - You're in!

[ May 01, 2003, 13:40: Message edited by: Sir Belisarius ]

4. Gothmog

[​IMG] I was already once in the process of signing in but as i saw so many of those fields to fill out i gave up. There's really much stuff.

I guess i'll do it as i'd quite like to play online with other roleplayers :D

Any advices? I'll be playing a neutral tree-hugger :cool:

5. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] When you write your character's history, try to use references to an area in Faerun...Give your character a reason for being...It doesn't have to be flashy or "my parents were killed by a swarm of demons" just a quick story about why you became an adventurer.

6. Gothmog

[​IMG] Yeah, i made it in!!!

Adventures awaits...though i would need a tutorial once i start.
    Its just too bad the toughest part of the school has just begun :( Lots to learn, no time to play.

warning ahead!

But when i get it over with you'll see me alot up there!
    Watch out for Half-elven druid :grin:

7. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] That's great!!!! Congratulations! Just make sure that druid keeps an eye on his pockets...There is quite a Nimbul halfling lurking in Daggerdale.... ;)

8. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Does this project requires an ORIGINAL NwN?
    I can copy one from a friend, i am very impressed by the project!
    I only hope there aren't much chaotic good dark elves with 2 scimitars!

9. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] It reqiures a valid CD key.

10. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Well, I think it's finally time to take the plunge! NWN has just dropped by $10 on Amazon, so I'm about to order it. (Hey, I've finally done something to support the community! Sorry it took so long, Tal.) DSL is live by this weekend, so online play will soon be a reality, although I'm a tad worried about my measly 128 MB on a WinXP system.

Anyways, anyone want to give an update on current ALFA status? Still pretty unoccupied? What's a good server to start from? I'm also trying to find FR information, since I'm not terribly familiar with the setting (most of my RP experience has been custom worlds). I don't know what I'm going to play yet, although I'm most fond of paladins, clerics, and dwarves.(Dwarf Fighter/Cleric maybe? or perhaps a crusader-like paladin....)

I assume Phlan is still down. Made any progress with a new character, Sir Bel? I'm considering Arabel as a home server (I know, I haven't even applied yet and here I'm deciding where to go...) -- I was wondering what's "going on" in the different regions; might be a particular situation to attract me (for instance, searching for metallurgy doesn't -- unless I was a dwarf, or an inquisitive gnome).

Anyway, post away! Spill your guts, good and bad.

11. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Just to throw my support behind Sir Bel's post here: if you enjoy roleplaying with live players, or if you ~think~ you would, this is your chance. Take the 15 or 20 minutes it takes to complete the application. And the character idea you submit with your application does not have to be the actual character you play. And, please, avoid Drizzt, Elminster and other archetypes at all cost - this is completely frowned upon.

Before you play, register on the ALFA forums to find out what is happening on the different servers. Each server is different, with its own personality and history; an expression of the HDM that designed and built it (I still miss Phlan and hope Erran can bring it back someday), with a mixture of static and DM-led quests and adventures.

When looking for a server to start on, keep your character idea in mind - it will make a difference. Other characters and NPCs will ask you "so, what are you doing here anyways?" You should have an answer for them, and it should make sense ;) A Drow showing up in Waterdeep or the City of Arabel is going to be killed on site - and a human landing in the Drow cities of the Underdark has about the same chance of making it out alive.

And don't be discouraged when your first character dies :) Yes, you read that correctly - it will happen. This is an entirely different gaming experience, and there is a learning curve. Just be patient. ALFA is not about gaining loads of xp and the best equipment. It's about roleplaying your character, and interacting with other players.

12. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Heh... well, I won't claim to be totally original, but I think I can avoid power archetypes, at least. I'm still having difficulties determining the character of each server area -- there's individual tales on there (mostly about how they died! crap!), but generally not much about the overall plot that I can find on there. Where are each of you currently playing at?

13. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] I'm in Daggerdale. It's a great server with strong DM's and a solid core of RPer's. There are plenty o' quests to join, as well as a lot of DM involvement. But I agree...Expect to die. A lot.

Read my post in ALFA's live, who's in? to get a flavor of the action! I've attached it here:

http://www.sorcerers.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=000047

[ May 15, 2003, 15:56: Message edited by: Sir Belisarius ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.