1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

ALFA members thread

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Erran, Mar 5, 2001.

1. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] It has been suggested that we have a members thread to discuss AORTA philosophy, stategy etc. so - here goes:

As a N-G Order, how do we feel about assasins and (evil) thieves? Would we ever, under any circumstances employ them?

(members in waiting feel free to join in)

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I would think something like that would have to be done in the back room so to speak by a more neutral than good leader of the guild if it were to be done at all.

Something like that out in the open is bound to cause strife with the good members of the guild (if they really roleplay a good alignment). But they may be able to live with a don't ask don't tell policy...

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited March 05, 2001).]

3. FootSoap Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi

You might recognize me as Madre Shivalya. this is the most stupid username because I only meant to use it once, now I have to live with it. Anyway here is my two cp on using evil assasins: Evil stains whatever it touches and therefore should not be used as a tool.

I haven’t read all of the 3e rules, but do assassins have to be evil? I don’t see why they would have to be. Just because someone is of good alignment doesn’t mean that everything they do is up front. Killing an enemy in battle or in secret is still killing. There is still a question of which way is most honorable, but I think that would be more in the realm of chaos vs lawfulness.

If capitol punishment is a justifiable means to achieving the greater good, then it should be done by a neutral or good character. The real question is whether capitol punishment can be justified.

BTW I tried to post a message at the Wet Crossing, but couldn't get on the boards.

4. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] I guess someone who assasinates for a cause might be considered 'good' (like the guys who tried to blow up Hitler), but I was thinking more of the paid assasin who kills anyone for cash - surely evil? My feeling is we wouldn't have anything to do with them.

But thieves seem to be rare and good or neutral thieves even rarer, (come back Imoen)so if we want to get in somewhere or get by a bunch of traps we might be forced to hire an evil thief, though I know our good clerics and paladin would be pretty unhappy.

PS The boards went down again for an hour or two but they seem to be OK now.

5. doones Gems: 1/31

Erran -

Think John Cusack in Gross Pointe Blank! There's a good assassin for you. Admittedly difficult to roleplay, and the "yes, but" clause is that by the end of the movie, he repents. Maybe a good assassin would only last long enough to change careers or get killed for turning on his/her own kind...

Anyhoo, I've always played thieves as chaotic good or chaotic neutral; they're not bad people, they just don't get all the fuss about laws and property and all that ;)

Perhaps that should be my application to ALFA when April rolls around.

6. Voltric Gems: 19/31

Well as far as my PC would be concerned - he's a NG cleric - hired assasins are right out. If we want to kill someone, evil off we can do it on the up and up. Thieves are a different story. Havin the ability to sneak around and spy is not evil in itself. I think good or neutral theves are fine. A thief who steals from the rich, but not from the poor (dispite the concept of "that's where the money is") is not a bad guy. It's all shades of gray. Stealing food from the evil lord to give to the people is not evil, and scouting out the enemy camp before we attack is not either.

7. damnedifiknow Gems: 1/31

There are two types of assasins. Those that kill for a cause and those that kill for profit. The other kind that kill for pleasure and use profit or cause as a cover are just murderers. I don't know what the moral or alignment difference is if you kill someone to their face or by stealth. Good and Evil is too gray of an area and depends on perspective. That's why my chars are always Lawful Neutral. There are people in modern times that I would call good people that have for duty's sake assasinated. Assasination does not make one good or evil, it is a matter of intentions. So concerning this thread given you hire an assasin for profit, he is a tool, regardless if he enjoyed what he does or not. It is a matter if you're guild or party believes in the ends justifying the means and a matter of morals if you can kill and still be considered 'good'. Say my family was threatened i had to use lethal force to save them. Am i evil for what i did? I would say no. Am i good for what i did? I would say no.

8. Slappy Gems: 19/31

As I'll be playing a fighter type, I won't be happy with any of this underhand business - there's only honour in 'steel on steel.' Backstabbing - uurgh only for the weak.

I might begrudingly accept assasination by a guild member against a really evil foe in extreme circumstances (i.e. after I've bashed my slappy head against the walls of his stronghold to no avail a few times)...but I won't be happy.

9. Duskai Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

sorry, this is a members thread i know, i just wanted to say that when i get accepted into alfa (and i will, oh yes indeedy!) well, hopefully...i will gladly sneak about for you and have a good rummage around for traps and the like...if you'll have me, i am a chaotic good thief and believe in using initiative over laws :) expect my application (pre-alfa) soon x

10. Slappy Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Duskai, will your new thief character still be sporting the black leather catsuit and blankey of invisability?

I think mention of the catsuit might speed up your application - just a preminition.

11. Duskai Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

shh...it's an invisible blankey so no-one will ever know...hehe, ickle fluffy ducky
    *ahem* bah! i shall whip thee for such insolence (thanks for the advert though) ;)

12. Darkmoon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

When Diedra dies, and she will I am sure, I plan for my second character to be a thief. SO you will have someone to sneak around for you, when depends on how long I live ;)

13. FenixStrife Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

hi,
    as soon as ALFA get back up (its been updating all day) I am going to apply as a chaotic neutral rouge. if he gets accepted I will apply(?) for AORTA. I think that hireing an assasin would be an evil act, but having a guild member do it for a cause, that would be OK.

14. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Great Fenix. As you have probably seen, ALFA is open now, so get in quick while there are still places. Another rogue will be good to have. Have you thought about race? Most of the rogues so far have been human.

15. Markyboy Gems: 1/31

Well, I've applied...and if they want me *crosses fingers* then I'll be joining AORTA as the chaotic good sorcerer Magnus Magicus!

Fear my fireballs!

Magnus

16. Magnus Magicus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

He! Wrong username... I used to be Markyboy, but I rejected that name long ago...but these stupid computer on school seem to remember everything they shouldn't...

Magnus

17. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Yay! Magnus, cant' wait to see you!

Let me introduce myself: Vandriel, WildElf Ranger, soon to find my way to a neighborhood near you. ;)

18. FenixStrife Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Im goin wild elf, Im thinkin about putting in a couple of sorcerer levels around lvl 16 too. Im so nervous about whether I will be accepted or not. Its gonna be weird to be a player (finally) I was a DM for 3 years. Another thought is that we should get a chat room going that is all 'in character' so we can start roleplaying and start forming our chars' personalitys.

19. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] The good news is, it kinda exists as a PBM, its called the Bargewright Inn and you roleplay IC as your NWN character with/against ~ 30 other characters played by some of the other NWN members & some DMs.
    Otherwise we could maybe arrange a time in Tal's chatroom to all get 'in character'
    What do you think?

20. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I'm applying tonight and I wanna get in!
    I wannna! I wanna! I wanna!
    Oops...
    Eh hem...
    I mean: *assumes monk personna* Only with concentration and persistance will I hope to overcome this difficult task set before me. May enlightenment and power be experienced by all*

Sorry, I know I'm not a member yet.... YET!
    ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.