1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

ALFA/AORTA question

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by cotman68, May 21, 2001.

1. cotman68 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I went to the ALFA websight to apply for the organization but I still don't understand a few things

1.is ALFA going to be an attempt at a persistant game world for NWN? and is AORTA a guild that will participate in this world?

2. if #1 is true--then who is going to pay to maintain this world?

3. Who are the people of ALFA? are they affiliated with the NWN creators? or are they a group of AD&D fans who plan on 'moving' to the NWN world when it starts?

4. why so much detailed info on the application? special skills/languages/armor class/ etc seem a little to detailed for a character in a game that has not come out yet. I understand class/name and some others, but who knows what the game will support and I expect some of that to be random.........

2. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Ok, first of all, I think you may be confusing one application with another. The player app at ALFA does NOT ask for "special skills/languages/armor class/ etc", however the app for ALFA Gaming does. That is because the two creatures are very different.

This is what ALFA is about: http://www.alandfaraway.net/about.shtml
    and the player application is here: http://www.alandfaraway.net/app_player.shtml

Read the FAQ that is posted on the front page, as it answers most, if not all, of you questions. The application is not a binding document stating the character you will play in NWN. It is a submission of your roleplaying abilities, your imagination, and your qualities as an RPer.

The guilds are a whole separate issue, that I don't have time to get into right now. If you like, I'll point you to a couple places to look later.

AlfaGaming application is here: http://www.eccentrix.com/gaming/alfagaming/playerjoin.html

This application is actually a Character Sheet for the character you will play in ALFAGaming. Thus it must be as detailed as possible. Many of the players at ALFAGaming are also members of ALFA, but it is not a requirement.

Ok, anymore questions? Don't forget...

READ THE FAQ!!!

3. Mendanbar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] Darien dear could you explain to me a bit what the ALFAGaming is. This is the first i have heard of it(OOC:i think, i play rugby so things go in and out as i take hits to the head). This georgeous paladin would like to know about it oh maiden of beauty.

4. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

*orders a bottle of Elverquisst and sits down with Mendanbar to teach him a few things*

Here is the post from the ALFAGaming boards from J'Kin Gristillodar, proprietor of the facilities.

We saw a need and desire for a persistent online role playing platform based in the Forgotten Realms.
    There were several ways to go about creating this. Some had serious drawbacks.

We could have went strictly WebRPG/OpenRPG, etc. Where we schedule games with players and DM's and keep track of the results, like Living Web is doing.
    But to do this we would need a workable ratio of DM to PC. With 1 DM running 1 game per week, and the possibility of several hundred players applying, this did not seem feasible. Nobody would ever get to play.

But we felt that sessions such as offered by WebRPG are a very important resource. We did not want to leave this out, as it is online PnP gaming at its core.

We thought that if we could give the players something to do while waiting for sessions to open up, that would be great. But just a regular message board is cliche. We could not expect it to hold their interest for long.

We needed a way to use the message board as a tool in creating a 'living' environment for the players and DMs. That was when we thought of Board DMs and Session DMs. If we could create a message board that was up, running and moderated by a DM 24/7, then we could create a world that was interactive most of the time.
    The players could live, work, and interact via the web board. And when chosen by a Session DM, they could take their characters and adventure. Everything would be persistent: the chat rooms, the taverns, the entire world. They could get online and play out the life of their character whenever they wanted. And sometimes, whether they were ready or not- adventure would come calling.

DMs are watching the threads and basing sessions on what they see. They will be throwing out plot hooks that you can choose to follow. If you choose to follow it, we will get ahold of you with the games date and time. It should be assumed that the game will last 4+ hours.
    We will be implementing a time system soon. Once we are ready, the time in the Realms will run concurrent with regular time. Day will be day and night will be night, Except if you are overseas. Once you enter a session with a DM, you will enter DM time. One session with the DM may take 4 hours real time, but 4 days may pass of in - game time. The DM will notify us of the DM time that has elapsed. You will not be allowed to post IC on the servers until DM time matches game time.

Because of the nature of ALFA gaming, we have had to make some decisions that are misunderstood. We want this to be as immersive as possible, therefore:

You can not see what is happening in the Waterdeep threads, because you are not in Waterdeep. In order to get news from there, you would need to have it told to you from someone with that knowledge: like bards. We want an immersive RP experience. If you really want to know what is happening there, you will show up to a live event.

You can not control NPCs here any more than you could in Real life. You control you. What your character can do, you can do. That and no more.

As we grow and develop, our plan will be more obvious. And it will be worthwhile.
    Just role play and DM to the very best of your ability.

5. cotman68 Gems: 6/31

thanks for the reply!

I think I now understand the problem:

I initially tried to open the correct websight (the online gaming afla application) but was unable to do so (I still cannot--'cannot find' after a long wait--perhaps the website is down?).

then I found a link to the other website/applicattion and the confusion began....

I guess I will just keep trying the correct website in hope that it will open up.

6. Mendanbar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] *shakes his head. hears some rattling. smacks it with his hand and reshakes. afew less rattles. bangs it on the table a few times. still a few rattles left, but nothing to worry about.*

Where if at all is this connected to the ALFA main page? And this is all very seperate from what will be in NWN correct? *takes another shot, and then tries batting his eyes to see if it will get him anywhere*

7. cotman68 Gems: 6/31

I finally got on and submitted an application. Looks like an amazingly well organized group.

I am really not sure what site I had logged onto before--the site that seems to be geared towards NWN is very nice--a sophisticated website that is easy to navigate.

the other website was full of info but had some very nasty popups on entering (the kind of popups that are difficult to get rid of).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.