1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Alas, poor Imoen... * spoiler *

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by smr49, Sep 5, 2003.

1. smr49 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I was just playing through the Spellhold dungeon where Imoen comes back. I had the Stewie voice pack for my main character. Since I didn't want Imoen in my party, but felt guilty about just abandoning my sister, I had her walk into the crush trap. As the walls mashed her into paste, my character suddenly exclaimed, "High Five! Anyone?... Anyone?..."

Just one of those fun random timing things... :D

2. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

You feel sorry for abandoning her, so you kill her? Hmmmm. THERE'S some good logic! :D

3. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

:shake: Let's not question the logic of that... :shake:

4. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

LOL, you must be playing evil I suppose?

5. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Heh. That's the fate she deserves.

6. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Perhaps it is -- I know that I always have a similar fate for Jaheira -- but the logic of "feeling sorry for her, so I kill her!" is kind of funny, that's all.

7. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Imoen was a great NPC!

Me remember when I said to khalid to got mano-a-mano unarmored without weapon against an ogre berserker with a HUGE club... hehehehehehe...

But at least Bhaal won't get her soul since she lost it to some freaky vampiress. So yes there is Logic :D

8. smr49 Gems: 1/31

Veteran

Media:
    The logic is that she doesn't suffer that way. Who would want to be abandoned in a dungeon by their own half-brother? That would be monstrous. This way, she dies quick, and was happy right until the end.

Back in my happy place now.... :hahaerr:

9. Kralizek Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I just know that personally, I would very much prefer an half brother that leaves me behind in some dungeon with at least some chances to make it out that one than sends me to certain death. :eek:

10. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

A swift and easy death equals no death at all.

If someone were to blow your head away with a sniper-rifle, you would never experience death, you'd just cease to exist without ever realising it. It's another matter when you're rotting away because of a sickness or a mortal wound, and you can feel your death coming for you both psychologically and physically.

I perfectly understand and agree with the logic. Although personally I like Imoen very much. Though such a cruel deed does speak of some evil in the personality, considering that the circumstances are such that she *could* have just hung along with you until you got out (realistically at least, even if the game allowed no more members into the party). View it this way: Taking her with you is the good choice, wether to remain in your party or to just take her outside safely. Killing her swiftly without ever making her suffer would be a neutral choice (though it's good to remember few characters can be neutral when it comes to feelings for other personal friends not to mention siblings). The evil choice would be to either kill her painfully, or, yes, to leave her there with the monsters.

11. Skywind Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

I still think that Kralizek's thinking make more sense. I mean, if I am neutral, I would still leave her alone rather than sent her to death(she should have her right to live).

12. smr49 Gems: 1/31

Veteran

Media:
    Well, the way I looked at it from a powergamer stance was that I didn't want to split the precious XP points with someone I was going to dump outside.

From an RP stance, my character just didn't want her to suffer. This is the same thinking that would argue that rape is worse than murder because rape is a violation that continues to harm the victim psychologically - often causing them to isolate themselves from others and spiritually wither away, whereas murder simply ends the life then and there without the anguish. "If need be done, then best done quickly".

On a real world note, this is also similar to the outlook shared by spree killers who will kill their parents before they start the spree in order to spare them the shame of having a child that committed a spree killing. A good druid knows always when to prune the tree, and Imoen was a branch that needed the cutting. ;)

13. Kralizek Gems: 7/31

Oh boy, I for one am sure happy this tread is not in the AoDA, because I have the feeling this is getting out of hand... :mommy:
    I am usually not powergaming, but I guess everything is game there, so I do not see the need for a justification.
    As for the rp stance: I sure hope your PC is either evil with a high intelligence or a pretty dumb goody-two-shoes. As for druids, I thought they respected life. Either way, I hope I will never have the pleasure of meeting him. ;)

And let us face it, if Yoshimo can make it out of Irenucs' dungeon alone by following your PC, can't we assume that Imoen would be able to do just the same ?

14. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Uh, Yoshimo gets removed from your party before you enter Irenicus' dungeon, does he not? And at the risk of spoiling things for anyone, he kind of has a bonus that the rest of your party doesn't.

15. Kralizek Gems: 7/31

:doh: Sorry LKD, I should have specified that I meant the first Irenicus' dungeon.

16. Wil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Even so, if Yoshimo is in favour, it's normal he can "escape" the first dungeon.
    Imoen is not in favour. That's the "bonus".

17. Maincarast'è Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

So, to prevent somebody to suffer you send her to certain and instant death... even my evil character preferred to drive her away other than killing her!! (after all you have travaled so far to save her; if you kill her at the very first moment you are acting like a fool and I hate looking like a fool :cool: )

18. Kralizek Gems: 7/31

Actually, you always have the dialogue option to go after Irenicus, not at Imoen's rescue. ;)
    Still, even if you are evil it would make sense to keep her for a while; just enough for her to regain her soul. After that, well, she is a Bhaalspawn after all, and you know that if you want real power... :evil:

19. The Grim Rippor Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

You cruel, cruel person! ;)

Though I must admit, I chuckle at the thought of seeing Imoen all cheery and happy, just walking along, then...

THUD.

Mmm, flat as a pancake.

20. Neriana Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Murdering someone in cold blood isn't "neutral", it's evil. Murdering your best friend/half-sister is REALLY evil. Unless you're nuts, then it's chaotic neutral. In fact, when your only reason for killing her is "cuz I want more experience RIGHT NOW" when she could benefit you in the future, then it's chaotic evil. It's also horribly lame role-playing: "Hey, go get yourself crushed over there, okey?" Even ditching her in the dungeon (also very strange - you went there to rescue her) is evil -- look at Jaheira's reaction if you try it.

You don't try to save human beings pain by killing them. By that twisted logic, it would be more merciful for a rapist to murder the woman he just raped so she would no longer suffer psychological pain! "Logic" can lead you to irredeemable evil.

But Imoen's part of a computer program, so smush her all you want.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.