1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ah the power...

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by chevalier, Sep 9, 2004.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    What is the most powerful type of character in your opinion? Ranger/cleric, fighter/druid, fighter/mage, fighter/thief, cleric/mage? Or maybe some single class character? If I were to say, I would go for fighter/mage if personal power potential were considered, and fighter/druid if the ability to buff up his team were a factor. I have never played the ranger/cleric combo, so I don't know if he gets druid spells up to level 3 (of spells) or throughout the whole spellbook, but if the latter were true, then ranger/cleric would be the uberdivinecaster with superior thac0, surpassing a grown up fighter/mage/cleric.

So, out of your experience with the game, what character type seems to have the most potential for total ownage?

2. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I'd go for ranger/cleric too if he gets all priest spells across the entire range. Otherwise, figher/mage dual-class. I've played the game with a fighter/druid dual too, and she was quite powerful by the time she started getting the higher level druid spells. Ironskin + the ability to wear armor (unlike stoneskin for mages), not to mention the offensive spells she got, made her a real killer. I also gave her 5 * in scimitars - Talon of Gloomfrost in HOW is a scimitar, and she was wicked with it.

Fighter/thief multiclass is good because it's such a waste to have a pure class thief in the game, and yet you need a thief of some kind. I didn't find him that powerful though (particularly compared to the BG2 variants you can build)

3. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

If you have HoW tacked on, Fighter/Mage/Thief. Followed very closely with Fighter/Cleric. Multiclassing absolutely rules in Heart of Winter.

A Paladin is a very decent support character, simply because of Pale Justice and undead abilities. 50% of the enemeies you'll face over the course of the entire game (if you have HoW and TotLM) are un-dead. A pure Thief is a waste; either dual class with a couple of levels of Thief, or multiclass. You only need to disable traps, as the spellcasters can use "find traps". Pickpocketing is useful, but not critical. There are a whole bunch of traps to blunder into, and some of them can put the hurt on right when you are least prepared to absorb it. So a bit-of-a-thief is good to have, but a pure-thief is lacking the frontline ability of a fighter. Backstab comes in very handy in a couple of places, but I can't justify the entire game around those two.

4. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    ejsmith, if you take a Fighter/Thief multiclass (or even a Fighter/Mage/Thief I guess) you can still backstab, if one insists on doing so on those two occasions :)

I'd say pickpocketing is a VERY good investment earlier in the game, for the Ring of Protection +2 and the Ring of Regeneration you can get in Kuldahar. Though if you take a bard, you don't have to worry about spending thieving points on it.

I wouldn't call it "only" needing to disable the traps, not with the huge numbers you find in almost every single dungeon map. Some can hurt quite a lot too. Open locks is also a must if you don't want to miss out on substantial loot. So, really, the bit-of-thief is a must after all.

I feel Paladins lose their usefulness the more you progress into HoW, because you cannot dual or multiclass them. About the only unique ability they have is wielding Pale Justice (arguably the best weapon in the game, true).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.