1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Adventures in Babysitting OoC (BattleTech)

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by kuemper, Mar 2, 2006.

1. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Here we go. This is a BattleTech or MechWarrior RP taking place during the start of the Clan invasion to the Inner Sphere in the year 3050. I know people haven't played any of the games, so below is a short glossary of terms which I think is helpful.

Autocannon (AC) - A cannon that fires explosive projectiles at hypersonic speeds
    BattleMech - A large, military vehicle using two 'legs' for its main mode of ground movement
    Beagle Active Probe (BAP) - This probe augments existing sensor systems and allows the detection of shutdown Mechs or small units such as Elementals and infantry
    The Clans - A collection of militaristic, tribal groups descended from military forces that fled the Inner Sphere hundreds of years ago
    ComStar - The interstellar communications company
    Dropship - A spaceship used for interplanetary, ground-to-orbit and orbit-to-ground travel
    Electronic Counter Measures (ECM) - Capable of jamming enemy sensor equipment and substantially reducing their effectiveness
    Extended Range (ER) - Adds longer range to a laser, but at the cost of more weight and heat
    Federated Commonwealth (FedCom) - Prince Hanse Davion and Archon Katrina Steiner signed the May 3022 Federated Commonwealth Alliance Document, uniting the Federated Suns and Lyran Commonwealth
    Gauss rifle - A weapon using a series of magnets to accelerate its projectiles along its barrel.
    heat sinks - Cooling devices that pass built-up heat inside operating Mechs through the armor to the outside air, where it is usually cooler
    Inner Sphere - A collection of worlds and governments geographically and politically centered around the homeworld of Terra (Earth)
    Jumpship - A spaceship capable of interstellar travel
    Lance - A military unit consisting of 4 Mechs or vehicles
    Long Range Missiles (LRM) - Semi-smart missiles capable of limited tracking acquisition
    Particle Projector Cannon (PPC) - A powerful medium range weapon that takes an electron stream and hurls it at the target, doing heat, electrical and impact damage
    pulse lasers - Lasers that use a rapid, cycling pulse to create mutiple laser beams
    Short Range Missiles (SRM) - Much like LRMs only with shorter distances required for targeting
    Star - A Clan unit of 5 Mechs or vehicles
    Streak SRM - A 'smart' missile that does not fire unless it is guaranteed to hit

For anyone deciding to join, I would strongly suggest going here http://www.chaosmarch.com/index.cfm and choosing a Mech. Under Techinical Readouts, click Inner Sphere, Mechs, then 3025 or 3050. Clicking on the abbreviated name will take you to a picture and description of what that Mech weighs, its armor and inner structure and weapons. Please pick a Light Mech (20-35 Tons in weight). Check all the variants to find one you like. If you get stuck, you can PM me or apathetic empath for help. The usual RP rules apply, so read the stickies if you aren't sure what they are.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Why is it called Adventures in Babysitting?

3. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Hmm,do you mind me using a Front Mission Wanzer? Just a walking tank, but I'm more familiar with them.

4. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Right, can anyone recommend a mech for close combat butchering, but that will have a gun also?

If I had a wanzer, I could have a shotgun and a knuckleduster....

EDIT: Look, Wanzers!

Wanzer!
    Another Wanzer!

[ March 02, 2006, 23:04: Message edited by: Daie d'Malkin ]

5. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Ah, close-range brawler, huh? Well we can definitely accomodate your needs there, guv! :)

Try this one out: http://www.chaosmarch.com/output.cfm?XEra=4&PFlag=0&ZFaction=1&flag=0&ZVType=1&XVid=1676&XPrev=465&XNext=466&ZVotes=919

(NOTE: if you wanna get a link in your browser window to point back to chaos march, try right clicking on the sub-list - like '3050' in this case - and select "Open in new window"....blippin' frames :nolike: )

Yes, sir - she's a right beaut, she is; the Hunchback is the middle-weight brawler extraordinare, my good sir!

50 tons mass, so you'll still have a decent speed, a couple of support Medium Lasers on the arms, not to mention full arm-articulation right down to fingers - nothing quite like givin' the other guy a good buncha fives in the kisser, huh? - but the piece de resistance is the big AC/20 sitting on its shoulder.

The massive Tomodzuru Type 20 autocannon mount can rip through even the heaviest armor once you get up close - that's a rippin' 200mm cyclic autocannon you got sitting next to your cockpit, matey, so tell you wot - I'll throw in some earplugs gratis. :)
    [/salesman-mode]

That what you're lookin' for? The AC/20 does more raw damage with one shot than anything else, and physical combat (kicks, punches, etc.) are alive and well in BT - no need for 'fist stiffeners'. :D

6. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Because it was the best of the lot I thought up. Sorry if it's that's bad. :bad: Watching over a generator isn't the funnest job on the planet.

If you want Wanzers, they are okay with me. My main goals are a)to have a really different RP, and b)to have a fun RP.

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Given that every post I have seen relating to this topic so far has been very scary and full of weird technical words of which I have no understanding, I think I'll be sitting this one out.

8. kuemper Gems: 31/31

The idea is to get us into a fight soon, so I'll gloss over the 2 months while we travel in the jumpship. When we all get together, we'll go to the ship and head for Wotan. It'll cut down on the boring parts and get us into the action sooner. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.