1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Adopting my first cat

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Vorona, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

So, I'll admit, at the moment, I'm a little obsessed about all things cat. As the title suggests, I'm going to be adopting my first cat soon -- or, at least it seems soon to me. I'm a teacher, as most of you know, so I'm waiting until June when I will be able to spend a lot of time with the cat, instead of leaving at 6am and getting home at 5pm. And yes, I realize the cat might not want to spend 24/7 with me, but I feel I should be available for those times that he/she does want to be with me, and to give reassurance that he/she isn't completely alone.

This isn't the first time I've lived with cats, but it is the first time I've been the one most responsible for them. My parents have two cats, and I was living with them before I got my job, but it's very different now that I get/have to make all the decisions.

I've been reading so much, though, that I'm getting turned around. Open litter box or covered? Wet food or dry? What about this raw diet that looks way too complicated? Is it really that much better? Soft carrier or hard? Should I grow my own catnip?

Anyway, I know I'll figure out my own answers to these questions, but I just felt the need to post all this in a forum dedicated to those who are already owned by cats. And if you do have ideas, I'm glad to hear them.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    As far as cat owners go, there are about as many opinions on what's "best" as there are owners. Quite honestly, your cat won't care about anything except that it HAS food. And cuddles. We've got a closed litter box (better all around IMO, unless you enjoy the smell and even more sand strewn all around) and as far as food goes, sometimes "wet" and sometimes dry. Can't go wrong that way.

3. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

Yeah. I decided to start with two litter boxes, one closed and one open to see what the cat prefers. Both of them will be "hooded" models so that if it prefers closed, I don't have to get rid of a cat box. I've got a scratching thing (not really a "post"), and some food dishes. I know what I want for water dishes, but haven't really gone looking for them yet, and they haven't been at the places where I've been when I've thought about them. At the moment I'm probably going to do both dry and wet, since dry food you can leave out and I'll be gone. Also, it's better for the teeth. Wet food is better for moisture levels since even if there's water out, apparently a lot of cats don't drink the water and need more liquid in their food. A couple of different sources mentioned that, so it seems reliable.

I've slowly been unpacking boxes (now that I have enough bookcases for all my books!) so that the room will be ready for the cat in June. I need to write to my landlady to find out how much the deposit and extra rent will be. I'll pay her the regular amount now (I usually pay early, since that's when I get my check), but add to it when I find out.

I'm getting very excited! It's so hard not to just buy all the cat stuff I see, but I need to be frugal, or I won't be able to afford the actual cat.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yea, don't go overboard with stuff until you've actually GOT a cat. :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.