1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Adamantite Golems.

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Dranalis DeAealth, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Dranalis DeAealth

Dranalis DeAealth Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc Veteran

These things really get on my jubblies. What is the best weapon(s) for taking these things down with?

Even Minsc with the Flail of Ages does a mere one point of damage to them. :confused:

2. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    If you can jam them in a doorway then using the sling of Everard +5 might be really slow, but that'll take them down. Also, a hasted character with a +3 or +4 weapon will work, though you might take some damage.

As for getting just a mere point. Even at high leveles, and with a +4 weapon, I've never done more than 5 points of damage. It might sound like it will take forever, but they do go down eventually, and sooner than you might expect for doing such small amounts of damage.

3. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

They have 90% resistance to all weapon damage. This means that if you hit for 10 points damage that golem will only take 1 point damage.
    I don't know how rounding off works here, but it would not surprise me if it was truncated (meaning you just drop the decimal).

4. Dranalis DeAealth

Dranalis DeAealth Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc Veteran

They also have almost total magic resistance as well, afaik.

5. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

IIRC, Crom Faeyr works a treat on these things. It doesn't instant-kill them like it does some lesser Golems, but will hand out some serious damage in short order.

The Rod of Smiting is your best bet in melee, however. Mordekainen's Sword is (as always) another excellent option to soak up their brainless attention while you wail on them.

6. Ecniv Sllew Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I think it was on Adamantite golems that my party of all spell-slingers had reall problems with until i got about 3-4 lower resist spells into them ( and sometimes a few peirce magics for a little more lowering of magic resistance). Anyway, after that you should be able to take them down pretty hard with horrid wiltings or something

7. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

The two ways to kill adamantite golems with spellcasters: MMM or x3 lower resist and a bevy of magic missiles. If you use Melf's Minute Meteors, you'll want to buff up with stoneskin and mirror image, and preferably have more than one MMM tosser. Once you have spell trigger (or just cast lower resist three times), they are really easy.

8. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

A cheesy but faster way that doesn't include waiting forever (but still long enough) is using a wand of cloudkill. This goes right through the MR of all golems and even does full damage to them! Don't think this works against undead or demons but golems are a fact. The spell doesn't work like this, but if you have a fully charged wand you wouldn't memorise it anyway.

9. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Melf's Minute Meteors work amazingly well if you can get the golems stuck in a doorway, or otherwise occupied (Mordy swords are the best decoy in this case), since you can then hit them without fear of retaliation. Also, any buff spells that increase THAC0 are good to cast beforehand.

10. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

If the golem gets stuck in a doorway, any warrior with a +3 (or higher) 2-handed sword or polearm can hit the golem without fear of being hit. If you need extra help, a mage with the 4th level spell Polymorph Self can become a gnoll with a +3 halberd (+1 fire damage), being able to hit from a distance.

If you have a shortage of +3 weapons, and your frontliners must get toe-to-toe with the big brute, try providing them with extra weaponry they can dual-wield using the 4th level spell Create Magical Weapon. You can create a +3 long or short sword, an axe, or a mace that will last for a day.

If you have a decent thief, take into account that a buffed thief with a +3 long or short sword may cause more damage due to the backstabbing multiplier, than a fighter.

11. Ekarderif Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I'm pretty sure golems are immune to backstab.

12. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Correct, all golems are immune to backstab.

13. knightlight Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I trap them in a doorway, set a character to start picking at them with Azuredge +3, which is a throwing axe with no Strength bonus. Then I go have lunch.

*plink* 1 damage *plink* 2 damage, etc etc etc etc...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.