1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Adam Smith's ideas

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Erebus, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

For those of you who do not know Adam Smith, he was a Scottish Enlightenment thinker, who came up with the ideas of lassaiz-faire or the concept of the goverment staying out of the economy. He also believed that an advanced civilization is bad, he says that with the absence of an advanced cilization, the people would form direct democratic goverments. And so far I think that his arguments hold some weight, because there are still many primitive tribe out there who live in a Utopia of sorts. What are your thoughts?

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

That might work fine in a small tribal society but I would worry that most of the inhabitants of most large 'civilised' countries are too ignorant to form their own effective governments - hence I see our current political systems as a slightly lesser evil.

On the subject of Adam Smith's economic laissez-faire theories - I subscribe to them as applying to most areas of our lives. For example, if you ever complain that something is over-priced, it probably isn't. If it was, then nobody would buy it and the seller would go our of business.

3. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    If the economy were truly a matter of simple supply and demand, laissez-faire has merit. Unfortunately, the complexity of today's global economy means that there are so many factors contributing to the price of a product that there's no way government can NOT intervene. I'm thinking of local issues like environmental protection and workplace safety; throw trade protection into the mix and you've got a real headache.

Nice try, Mr. Smith, but the world has gone beyond you. :(

4. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Like him quite a bit. Obviously, as mentioned, his theories are outdated at some places, but that's just the way it goes. On the other hand, laisser faire connected with Smith ? I thought that's Hayek's field. I thought the inquiry was mainly directed versus mercantillism and the observation, that empires mainly bleed their homelands poor, like catalonia, which had to carry Charles V empire, and paid with de-population.

In this way, neatly anticipating the sundown of the British Empire in the 1880's through loosing their industrial base through depicting the problems of the powers that were and were at that time foreign to the industral rise of the UK (or maybe too close with the tea-monopoly to finance the black treasury whole the 7-years-war has left).

The weak point of Smith is obviously the retreat to the mystical get-everything-right hidden hand. It isn't a safe bet to wait until the hidden hand comes out and safes the existence of the free market through bashing unproductive monopolies to the ground. That somehow doesn't work, as Bill Gates can tell. No, innovative destruction and competition have to be secured through other means, favourably not hidden and real. Remember, as Smith pointied out, the first thing good traders will try ist to establish a cartel.

As for the democracy part, it is a well-known fact that proper goverment can only be secured through having as much direct-democratic means as possible. Can't stand that hysterical dancing in circles in represantive systems.

5. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Nice ideas Mr Smith, but they're only good for populations of about 10,000 not 10,000,000...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.