1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Abortion - Views?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Barmy Army, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    What are peoples views on abortion? Should it be legal or illegal?

2. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm in the legal camp. I live by the simple philosphy that I do not like it when others tell me what to do, therefore I have no right to tell them what to do.

That being said I believe life begins at birth and until then it is the woman's choice as to what to do.

The entire problem with abortion is timing. Most people would agree that the day after conception is not life. Most people would also agree that the day before birth is life. The problem is finding a point in the middle that both sides can agree on. I know I'm not qualified to make that determination, and I have a hard time believing a politician or lawyer is.

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Legal with barriers. You ought to prove you need it for some reason (can't provide for it, etc.), but it should otherwise be open.

4. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Pro-Choise, but I'm personally against it.

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Illegal under any circumstances.

Before anyone comes up with rape, incest, extreme economical conditions...

Things happen in life. Sometimes very bad things happen to us and we can't do anything about it. Sometimes we physically can, but we still can't. One of the things we can't do is killing an innocent human being in order to pull another one out of a predicament.

This doesn't mean that women raped or left with children by irresponsible males should be left alone by the society and be on their own. Still, neither she nor the society has any claim on their unborn children's lives.

I understand the total ban and the total allowance view, but I don't understand the limits, barriers and whatever such. That stance either recognises the value of human life and the foetus as a human being but waters it down by making exceptions, or it puts morality-based limits on something it claims to be perfectly moral. In short, inconsistent. If abortion is morally proper, then why put limits on it? If it's wrong on the account of violation of human life, how can external circumstances change it?

6. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Strongly for abortion. Not unlimited though, but I can hardly call a lump of cell with a brain and nervoussystem less developed than in a rat a human being. However the limit comes fairly quickly when it starts to be a real problem for me if abortion should be allowed. I'm no good in defining it though since I lack the knowledge required but that's why there are experts.

I'm not sure what you consider as a barrier, you mean a barrier like in time or in reason? I feel that no reason should be required for abortion but a time limit certainly is necessary since I don't believe life starts at the birth either.

EDIT: Probably it would be better to say when humanity starts since no one can argue that even the first fertilized cell is not living tissue. ;)

7. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Completely legal. It is the woman's choice. If she doesn't want the child, then sack it. It's not alive yet, it's not capable of making choices. She is.

Chev:
    So if a girl gets raped, then she can't abort the child? It's not hers! She did not want it, ever. It's not her fault, and it shouldn't be her responsibility. I don't see how it is even comprehesible that someone could say that you can't abort a rape-product.

8. chevalier

Media:
    @Saber: But what did the child do? Did the child rape the mother?

@Morgoroth: What if there's no specific moment at which a radical change takes place?

9. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Say, Chev, if the choise is if the mother dies in childbirth, or abortion, what do you say we should chose?

How about the same situation, but she was raped?

10. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Pro-choice here. Let the woman decide if she wants to have the baby or not.

11. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Pro-choice. 'nuff said.

12. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Then you should not be allowed to not conceive the child. :shake: Go and be fruitful chevalier; you have no right to deny your seed to the women of the world just so that you may work to feed and clothe yourself. :lol:

13. chevalier

Media:
    @Rutkowski: If you press doctors, they will admit there's no such situation where abortion is the only way to save the mother or the sure way. While there are procedures in which the foetus dies as a result of performing a medical action on the mother that saves her life, directly intended abortion is always wrong. I'm not judging individual people who have made decisions but saying the act itself is wrong and should be banned. Raped mother changes nothing on the child's end. Why not execute the whole family of the rapist?

Sorry, I'm a monogamous creature. :shake:

14. Saber

Alright Chev, here's a situation:

You are a woman, and you are in love with someone, and are getting married shortly. As soon as you get married, you want a child. One night, walking on the street, you get raped. Would you want to abort that child, which you do not want or need, so that you can have the child with the one you love? Or would you say: Oh, too late now, i guess i have to have this child.

I'm not saying that that is the only situation in which rape occurs, obviously, but I'm just giving you a situation.

15. Eldular Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Illegal.

As usual, I'm with chev. Sure, the child is a product of a rape and unwanted by the bearer, but should she decide to terminate the life of that child when it wasn't his/her fault he/she was made? Not to mention that the creation of life is a beauty, and that the child doesn't even belong to the mother, it belongs to god (sorry to get all religious :p ).

16. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Pro-choice. Abortion should always be seen as a measure of last resort, but it should be legal. I also believe that non-surgical abortion options (some highly-controlled but fully tested pharmaceutical drugs) should be made legal in this country.

I refuse to get drawn back into this debate, so I'll leave it at that.

[ October 11, 2005, 04:38: Message edited by: NonSequitur ]

17. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I completely agree with this view. It is none of the government's business what a women choses in this regard. At the same time I agree, to an extent, with Chev: A particular chruch may have a degree of influence over the choice of an abortion. While the laws of the land extend to all "citizens born in the United States," and thusly giving them no jurisdiction over the unborn, religion can go where the government cannot; and that includes deciding when life begins.

Again, this becomes a woman's choice - if she choses her own path, then it is her choice; yet, if she wishes to abide by the tenents and beliefs of her chosen religion, then abortion may not be a good solution.

18. Eldular Gems: 10/31

Good point Chandos, guess I shouldn't have put illegal.

19. Saber

But since the church doesn't make the laws, and isn't allowed or supposed to, it doesn't matter if they determine that life begins before birth or not. This is an issue of legality, and thus cannot be an issue of church.

Although, no matter what we say that church can't make laws, it will always influence people who make the laws... I'm fighting a losing war...

20. Eldular Gems: 10/31

@Saber: If a government makes a law it must be followed by everyone, where a religion's 'laws' are followed by those who wish to. So are you telling me it's better that government says what you must do when it comes to personal decisions like this?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.