1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A Wizard's Log - Solo Mage (BG2)

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Black Rose, Oct 27, 2001.

1. Black Rose Guest

Hello all. This is intended to be my first big post on these boards - a step-by-step log of how Raspin Caine, a Solo Mage conquered Amn. Note to readers that he's an import from BG I - which explains the extraordinary stats. Also expect skeletal narration and infrequent updates - sorry folks, but this is the best I can do.

-----------------------

Raspin Caine, Solo Human Mage, Lawful Neutral
    Import from Baldur’s Gate I
    Str 16 Dex 19 Con 16 Int 19 Wis 17 Cha 13

Quest Log so far:

> = Very Easy
    >> = Easy
    >>> = Moderate
    >>>> = Difficult
    >>>>> = Extremely Difficult

"Circus Troubles" - Freeing Aerie, Rescuing Quayle - >
    Items Gained: Ring of human influence, girdle of piercing, Gold
    Tactics Used: Hit'n'run for two ogres in disguise - Avoided weres and shadows in 2nd room - Concentrated magic missiles to down Kalah and finish the quest
    Quest Level: After finishing Circus Troubles Raspin was at level 10.
    Fave Spells: Magic Missile

EDIT: Freed Hendak.

"Slaves in the Coronet" - Freeing Aerie, Rescuing Quayle - >
    Items Gained: Tuigan Bow, Plate Mail
    Tactics Used: Conjured up a lot of Lesser Air Elementals and let 'em romp.. Also did some long range Sling Sniping on the slow Grizzly+Black Bears
    Quest Level: After finishing Slaves in the Coronet, Raspin was at level 11.
    Fave Spells: Conjure Lesser Air Elemental

[This message has been edited by Black Rose (edited October 27, 2001).]

2. The DMage Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Well, those certainly are extraordinary stats to say the least ;)

3. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Don't take this wrong, but, those are actually not superlative stats. Consider (and do a search for) Elmonster's stats and story. Noting personal - they are somewhat "average" for what a lot of powergamers play.

Now, personally, I LIKE your stats. I think they are very playable while not being absolutely unrealistic considering that your charcter is supposed to be a God-Child. You have "weak" areas that can be "attacked" by monsters/opponents and at the same time sufficient strength in key areas to provide survivability for yourself.

Just do a search for "Elmonster" to see some truly outrageous stats. (No insult meant to Balderdash or whatever the guy who played him calls himself.)

[This message has been edited by Kailynne Johanne (edited October 27, 2001).]

4. Black Rose Guest

Umm.. stats are due to a BGI import. I could have read some more tomes in that game as well, but I chose not to.

"The Talking Sword" - Acquiring Lilarcor- >>
    Items Gained: Lilarcor, Gold, Miscellaneous
    Tactics Used: The magic resistant oozes and jellies were pounded on by a Lesser AirElemental.. I also used some Fireballs on packed groups of Hobgobs and Goblins. Carrion Crawler fell to some acid arrows.
    Quest Level: After finishing The Talking Sword, Raspin was at level 11.
    Fave Spells: Conjure Lesser Air Elemental, FireBall

He's now having some trouble w/ Slaver Compound.. damn Petri/Death traps have killed me at least five times.

[This message has been edited by Black Rose (edited October 27, 2001).]

5. zaknafein Guest

dont you just hate those damn traps

6. Black Rose Guest

[​IMG] Bah.. should really play this game more.. (I just got ToB)

"Slavers" – Hendak’s Final Mission - >>>
    Items Gained: Cloak of Protection, Various Magical Swords
    Tactics Used: Lesser air elemental and magic missiles pounded Haegan and his crew.. the final room w/ mages was tougher though - I had to rest for memorization. After the rest a few fireballs mopped up the group.
    Quest Level: After finishing Slavers, Raspin was at level 11.
    Fave Spells: Conjure Lesser Air Elemental, FireBall

After Slavers was completed, Raspin went to the Adventurer’s Mart to buy some items, swapping his AC8 Bracers for some better AC3 ones (his armor class w/ those equipped is now –2) and buying some Friends scrolls to improve his charisma. His next significant purchase will be the Robe of Vecna, which is still a little out of his range atm. He had ~24000 gold before purchases, ~14500 after.

"They Call Me Xzar" – Finding Montaron - >
    Items Gained: Staff Spear, AC6 Bracers, nice scrolls
    Tactics Used: Easy – no combat – the only reason I am stating this is b/c of the items I gained.
    Quest Level: After finishing They Call Me Xzar, Raspin was at level 11.
    Fave Spells: N/A

Working on Mae'Var's guild quest.. specifically, Prebek.

7. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Well you should take your mage on through ToB, but I wouldn't reccomend your first time through ToB solo ;).

Also, Prebek is the guy you have to kill for the Harpers to do Xzar and Monty quest IIRC. Mae'Var's guildhall begans with Renal assigning the task to you, you talking to Mae'Var, and then you stealing the amulet from the Temple District...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.