1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A Tale of Woe (of dead NPCs and fungi)

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Warrior of the World, Dec 4, 2004.

1. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

I am currently wandering about the Temple itself, I am on the third level. Recently, during a nasty Run in with a couple of hill giants, Otis died. My paladin has been carting around a scroll of raise dead for just such an occasion, but he can't use it. My party is currently:

2 paladins, thief, barbarian, fighter, Spugnoir, Otis, Elmo.

(Forgot to say, nobody else can use it either. party is level 5, Spugnoir 6, Otis 10. Is there any other way of bringing him back to life?)

Alignment is Neutral Good.

Also, the game keeps crashing whenever I encounter the hooting fungus and lamia in the southwest corner. Any ideas as to how to fix it?

2. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Patch it to fix the crashing. As for reviving Otis, I wouldn't really worry since he is a temporary NPC, but if you really want to revive him, there are several clerics you can get in the game. The one that comes to my mind first is Alrem's brother in the Air Node can revive him.

If you need another good NPC, just pick up either Prince Thrommel on floor 3 of the temple, or the demon in the fire node.

3. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Or do some hex editing so you can have 8 PCs in your part; no need to screw around with NPCs ;)

4. Rednik Gems: 21/31

Granted, the NPCs do suck, but some of them can be fun to have around. Namely Darly, Thrommel and the giant on level 3. ;)

5. Warrior of the World

Actually, are NPCs supposed to have their portrait removed when they die? I managed to raise him with the scroll (I gained a level, and put my thief's Use Magic Device up), but he is no longer in my party, even though the dialogue options seem to think he is. Is there any way to get him back, or have I done something wrong?

6. Rednik Gems: 21/31

When an NPC dies, their portrait goes grey. If it doesn't, then you've got yourself a glitch.

7. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    I assume you have both patches installed already?

8. Warrior of the World

Well, I have both patches, unfortunately, I put them on after he had died. Ah well, I think I will just go and find the prince.

9. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    For future reference, ToEE is one of those games you should never, ever play prior to patching fully.

10. Warrior of the World

Well, this is no longer about the NPCs, or the assorted fungi, but it is still quite woeful. I picked up Thrommel, killed all the high priests with him and took him to the surface. I then got Scorpp, wandered around Nulb, doing the Great Gar quest, went to Hommel to heal, and on my way back to the temple, I encountered some knights who gave me Scather. I was most happy with this until I reached the Fire Node, whereby the game constantly crashed whenever I hit something with a fireshield. Sadly, the Balor guardian has a fireshield too. Since noone else in the party could hit him, this led me to finish all the other Nodes first, and so I summoned all the demons and elementals I could. Eventually I killed him, after many, many tries. However, when I picked up the Stone, it was a stone of Air, not Fire. Is it possible to continue at all, or should I just put the game back in the box for another 6 months?

11. Rednik Gems: 21/31

Perhaps you could use a cheat to get the Fire Stone? Having all 4 stones really helps in the endgame, trust me.

12. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I thought the end of the game was pretty easy. Balor on the fire node however - took me 6 hours over 2 nights maybe? LOL

13. Rednik Gems: 21/31

The Balor was doable, it's all a matter of distracting him with summons, be they demons or regular summons, and pounding away at him from the back. The character that actually killed him was my Rogue/Fighter with Thrommel's sword.

14. Warrior of the World

One of the major reasons I found him so hard was that if any of my characters hit him with scather, the game crashed, so I had to rely on my other characters with their awful, awful combat skills and/or pathetic damage.

15. Skullie Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

yes i have the same bug whit scatter the game won't allow to end the turn it just keeps waiting for the end of the turn of the person who use scatter.
    ive never had this before only after patching the looting bug patch is this prob solveble?
    grts Skull

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.