1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A sorcerer's charisma

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Laches, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I've done my searches and read some faq's here and elsewhere and there is something that confuses me. I'm playing a sorcerer who is currently level 7 with a 19 charisma. As per Table 3 I am receiving the bonus spells per level in accordance with that charisma. When I put on a charisma enhancing piece of equipment such as a Cloak of the Nymph +1 I gain AND THEN SLEEP I gain an extra first level spell which is also exactly like Table 3 says I would.

Here is where I'm confused: Eagle's Splendor. I've seen this as a recommended spell both in a faq on this site and elsewhere. Why? When I experiment with it I can raise my charisma as high as 26 at the moment which according to Table 3 should give me a bonus 2nd and 3rd level spell. However, this bonus doesn't apply immediately. I assume to get the benefit of this higher charisma you would need to rest which makes sense. But resting causes the effect to wear off and you no longer have the higher charisma and resultant extra spells when you wake up.

So, what's the catch? Why are people recommending Eagle's Splendor? What am I missing? If you cast it later as an extended spell does it last long enough that it's still going when you wake? I wouldn't think it would? I'm confused, any help is appreciated.

On a related subject, I know lots of people leave their charisma at 19. I'd think you want at least a level 28 charisma when equipped. Off the top of my head I know there will be +5 Nymph's cloaks to work with and I'm guessing Sharwyn's belt will be +3 charisma. What other tasty equipment enhancing charisma should I keep my eye out for? Thanks.

2. Bluerose Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

If the spell works the same way as in IWD2, its duration is 1h/level. So by level 9 you will keep its bonuses after resting. No idea about equipment, never found any fun in the game.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I believe the Charisma modifier affects the DC for Sorcerer spells. It's also good for Paladins because it affects turning undead and the holy aura.

4. JohnnyRTFM Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

To the best of my recollections, all spell effects are dispelled when resting (the only exception that comes to mind is Curse) which would explain the Eagle's Splendor wearing off.

5. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Ah. Having the spell to improve DC makes sense. Thanks.

Assuming that charisma does affect a sorcerer's DC, I take it that the relationship would be the same as the other modifier relationships? So, 12-13= +1, 14-15= +2 etc?

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I believe that is correct.

7. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I think that the DC of a cast spell is something like 10 + ability bonus + spell's level.

8. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

that's corrects, and it uses the mods that Laches pointed out.
    Ofcourse you add different modifiers to that as well like spell focus etc.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.