1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A question and a comment on Rogues

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by diagnull, Jul 31, 2007.

1. diagnull Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I've never tried really playing a rogue before (in NWN or other games) so I'm still figuring some of this stuff out.

The question:

On thing I'm not sure of...how do I sneak attack? I don't seem to have an option to do it, and judging from the combat I've had, I seem to automatically do it, but how can I make it happen and do it more effectively?

The comment:

The whole disarm traps\unlock door thing still seems kind of hokie to me. On the one hand, I see the need to realism and (let's face it) something to justify being a rogue, but on the other hand it's kind of needless extra clicks to open a door or chest. Sure, there's some dice rolling in the background, but it's not very satisfying. A new system for picking locks would be so much better.

It also seems kind of silly how in NWN you have to click 3 times to open a trapped, locked door with a rogue. If a rogue goes to open a door and sees it's trpped and locked, one would assume he's going to try to pick the lock and disarm the trap. Seem to me that should be the default action. You click the door and attempts to open the door by looking for traps and disarming, then unlocking if necessary, then opening the door.

Maybe it's just me though...?

Thanks,

-D

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Sneak attack is automatic as long as you fulfill the prerequisites (e.g. target is surprised, asleep or stunned; or target is not attacking you so you have the target flanked, if you have a ranged weapon you are close enough etc.)

3. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

You get sneak attacks when enemies are blind, stunned, asleep, dazed, confused, in Darkness, knocked down, and a bunch of other reasons. Try taking the Knockdown and/or Improved Knockdown feat; try casting Ultravision on your rogue and Darkness on a group of enemies.

As for the whole picking locks thing, I agree. It is tedious. Much easier to be a wizard and cast Knock and Find Traps.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.