1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)
  1. Lord Ryan the Inquisitive Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] All the comments about how wonderful the storyline of the game was, how it took a cliched plot and turned it into art, how tied into it we all became... Well, it raises a question I've been thinking about for a long time.
    Would you all be willing to see Planescape: Torment made into a movie? Now, understand that, were it made into a movie, the plot would have to be drastically shortened, and the armor character and the robot would probably have to be left out (or if they were put in, they would probably just be minor characters and probably wouldn't join the main party, which would consist of Dakkon, Anya, Morte, and Fall-From-Grace). I mean, the movie WOULD be different from the game in little ways, there's no getting around it. But, if it could be done and still keep most of the game in it, all the complexities and everything, would that be cool? Or, should it not even be thought about, for fear that it might just suck and besmirch the games good reputation?

2. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

The problem with that idea is that it takes away what makes Torment such a great game, the fact that you shape his destiny. A movie has to limit itself to one path through the game, while part of it's charm comes from the fact that the experience is different for every player, which in turn means the game is attractive to different kinds of players. The movie makers would have to choose every action of TNO and so spoil the involvement of the player. It would be like watching somebody else play Torment, which isn't very interesting. (very boring even, I speak out of experience while I really liked playing the game alot)

So making a movie of Planescape: Torment would be a big NONO :nono: except if they depicted the live of TNO before the game begins, since that part of the story is the same for every player. But that will never come to happen since Hollywood doesn't like films without a climaxing end.

3. Lord Ryan the Inquisitive Gems: 1/31

Yeah, but that's kinda true for any game that gets made into a movie. You lose that interactive quality because you are only watching one of the many paths get put on the screen.
    Or, anymovie ever, for that matter. You as a person could always chose that the characters would pick a different path, but they only follow the path that is depicted in the movie (i.e. You say "Don't go in that glowing door", but they do because that's the choice being depicted).
    But, of course, I understand your side, the idea that choosing who TNO becomes is actually a MAIN part of the game, and having the movie portray one version of that wouldn't be as fun as choosing it yourself.
    But, I don't know. Didn't that one book they made of the game do the same thing? Only pick one path? Was that any good?

4. Champion of the Multiverse Gems: 1/31

Don't know if Memento was based off a book or not, but I always thought they kind of ripped off the idea for the movie from PS:T. Not exactly, but very similar.

5. Meatdog Gems: 15/31

It indeed has some semblances. That's probably why it is one of the best movies ever. Just as Torment is one of the best RPG's ever.

6. casey Gems: 15/31

Well I think that almost anything that has an interesting storyline and good acting in it would be a worthwhile movie, the interaction factor is true but that's only part of what makes a good story although it is a big part, to make it interesting to the fans of the game (not me since I havn't played it) they would have to take the main story path and pick a different way to make things happen that are not in the game, but I'm only guessing since I've got no expirience with the game, and also I don't know Dakkon but judging from the soundpack for BGII I've downloaded he seems to be a very interesting and intriguing character and I'd like seeing him on the screen

Also I heard something about a PST movie been made is this true?

7. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

For a start a movie wouldn't be the right way about bringing PS:T to non-gamers. It would be better as a mini-series much like Band of Brothers. This would allow for a far more developed plot and longer storyline. If they were going to make the choices for TNO then I would figure they would base his character on his first incarnation (i.e. before he became immortal) since if I recall right he wasn't such a bad guy. It would be fitting to have that version of himself free himself from his self-induced curse.

A mini-series would allow all the NPCs as well as the major quests and maybe even a few significant side quests.

On that note, who would play The Nameless One? I'm thinking Vinnie Jones (the soccer player turned actor) if he can cut his accent a bit and doesn't mind the makeup.

8. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Actually, he was an incredibly evil man who wanted to change his ways and so sought out Ravel to make him immortal so that he could redeem himself and avoid the Blood War.

I'd wonder who they'd get to play any of the characters. There's not too many performers that I can think of that would fit too well.

While I don't really want to see a movie, here's who I'd cast for the main roles:

TNO: no clue
    Morte and Nordom: CGI effects.
    Vhailor: Vin Diesel?
    Pharod: Ian McKlellan?
    FFG: Elisha Cuthbert
    Annah: ???
    Ravel: Whoever played that witch in Wizard of Oz would be perfect. She's probably dead, though.
    Trias: ???
    Deionarra: Anna Farris?
    Transcendent One: CGI effect

9. Neriana Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I didn't get the impression that he wanted to redeem himself. I though he just wanted to avoid the consequences of his actions. It has been a while since I've played the game, though.

10. Meatdog Gems: 15/31

@ Rastor

IMHO this would make a much better cast (although I don't want to see the movie ever be made):
    Everybody -> CGI effect.

Make it like the FF movie.

11. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I hate those movies where everything is a CGI effect. It lacks realism.

12. Platter

Platter Can I buy you a tankard or two, lad? Veteran

Hehe, well, it's what Torment looks like. :p

13. Meatdog Gems: 15/31

For Planescape, it would be better, since with real actors, it would look too real, taking away from the almost endless possibilities from the setting. They'd already have to use alot of computer graphics for the background and alot of the creatures, and even LotR didn't succeed at hiding where they used CGI's in RotK. So use all out CGI so the difference that is seen between the actors and the CGIs is not present.

14. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

There is one thing that prevents game storylines from being good for movie. Movie (or a novel) needs a storyline with exposition, search, peripethy, and that, which imo game storylines doesn't stick to, mainly because they can be played in various orders of quests and conversations and so...

And game atmosphere (torment particularly) is made a lot by subquests, not-particularly-key NPCs (like Kimasxi and other girls at the BoSIL), and bizzare or breath-taking dialogs (like that about Morte's past or Deionarra's "Longing" sensory stone experience). It needs different qualities to make good 90-200 minutes long visual.

Edit: I couldn't resist to add one actress.
    Have you seen Emmanuelle Seigner in The Ningth Gate as "The girl"? Something like that with some fancy wings (Terry Gilliam, oh please!!) and we got Fall from Grace.
    Edit no.2: Or Naomi Watts, for innocent look (see Mulholland Drive).

[ February 08, 2004, 23:43: Message edited by: ArrynMorgerim ]

15. Meatdog Gems: 15/31

You don't have to really add them to be in the movie. Just scan them and you can use them as models for the CGIs.

16. Platter

Platter Can I buy you a tankard or two, lad? Veteran

Yea, Gollum's face is actually the face of the voice actor who played him (changed a bit, obviously).

17. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There already is pretty much a PST movie out there, a real good one too. Memento has the same basic plot as PST. I recommend it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.