1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A Locked Door in the Planar Sphere

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Lotlanne, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Lotlanne Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I don't know if it's been discussed before, cause I haven't been on this forum for a long time. In the Planar Sphere there is a locked door that is supposed to lead to a storage area or something like this and you cannot pick the lock. My PC is a mage and he has received the Sphere as a stronghold, but still we cannot open that door. Is there any way to ger in there?

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I could have sworn I saw something on this in these Boards not too long ago, but I couldn't find it. Anyway, there is one door that IIRC can't be opened; presumably this is the door you're talking about.

3. Lotlanne Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

It kinda makes me wonder - in the Sphere pretty much every room has some purpose, I mean you can find either enemies or items. Why would they put just a locked door that leads nowhere? I wonder if they planned to do somethig with it, but then changed their mind?

4. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

There are quite a few doors that lead nowhere or that have been deactivated. Some are the result of the developer's re-using a map and some are related to areas that probably got cut at the last minute. The ranger cabin in the Umar Hills has an entire hallway running around the length of the cabin that you can not access.

To me, the largest area that appears to be cut is the third level of the de'Arnise Keep. From the outside, there are three floors (not two). The stairway on the ground floor that is 'disabled' was probably the original stairway for the basement (there is an old transition point in the code, indicating that it was a working doorway at some point), and the stairway that leads to the basement currently was probably meant for the third floor.

5. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I don't suppose you are talking about the door that leads off the entrance hall? I'm not too sure what door you are talking about, I think I managed to get to all the rooms when I played through the sphere.

I'll have a look through...

6. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I managed to open all doors there.
    I also had a door which I could not open, but as far as I can remember, the golem (which you can assemble using several parts) opened the door after it had been activated and had started moving.

7. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I don't recall a door that couldn't be open in there.
    I think the only trick door I found was in the place Edwin hangs out.

8. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

If you're talking about the one in the section with the Fire/Ice beings, I don't believe it means anything. Just a pointless vestige of the game.

9. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I think he's talking about the one off the entrance hall, which cannot be opened. There are three doors, only two open.

AFAIK, that was supposed to be something and got cut from the game.

10. PsiVen Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Doesn't that open up to a little map room with a bunch of imps and mephits?

11. trip9 Gems: 1/31

I think he's talking about the door in the north wall of that room where the nights of solemia or whatever hang out until you send them back to their own plane

12. PsiVen Gems: 1/31

Oh, no, that's the unopenable one in the fire/ice chamber.

The door north of the knights is openable.

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    It's the ice chamber. All three doors in the entrance hall are openable. The doors in the main room are apprpoximately placed northeast, northwest and southwest in a cicular entrance room. They lead to a mephit, the Knights of Somalmia (and the rest of the dungeon) and a clay golem, respectively.

14. GodRules44 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

ok ok ok ok ok!!!!!!!!!!! Listen. It is either in the room with tolgerias or the room with the necromancer owner of the sphere. The door leads nowhere, do not worry, I have done contol-j to get past the door when I had the same question, and it just doesn't go anywhere, it probably just wasn't used like they thought they would use it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.