1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A List of Games -Opinions?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Wordplay, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

[​IMG] Well, for change I have some money to buy something nice, and I'm thinking of purchacing a packet of games. Even though I know several of these are very good, there are still some that I have hardly heard of (but are in the list only because they are so cheap :D )

Aliens vs Predator 2 + Expansion - Gold
    Earth 2150
    Escape From Monkey Island
    Emperor - Battle for Dune
    Freespace 2
    IceWind Dale 2
    Magic The Gathering - Battlegrounds
    Max Payne
    Might and Magic 9
    Oni
    Wizardry 8
    Viewtiful Joe (Gamecube)

So, what do you think? Are any of those games doomed to gather dust on my shelf if I buy them? I'm especially curious about Wizardry 8, M&M 9 and Battlegrounds...

Opinions?

2. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Escape from monkey island is okay. not as good as the others, but okay.

Emperor-battle of dune. well I think it sucks like the other dune games.

Max payne is one of my favorit fps game, so go for it.

Icewind dale 2. not a bg game but good.

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Aliens vs Predators 2 - very good (I don't have the expansion and play single-player only); and not a bad story-line. You get to play from 3 perspectives.

Max Payne - just finished a few days ago. Again, very good, although a bit short.

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Emperor: Battle for Dune. Oh, disappointment. A grand one. If you can get it for a big discount price and are a Dune maniac, go for it. Otherwise, forget it.

IceWind Dale 2: Not so bad as they say, but well, it lacks something. Hard to say what, but it lacks it. Get it for a discount price, if only to use the IceWind Gate mod and the one that brings IWD1 into 3E. Should be a refreshing experience.

Might and Magic 9: If you're a maniac only. The map sucks a great deal. Not as bad as they say, but well, you'd better spend the money on a date. Might be a better investment.

Wizardry 8: 7 sucked so much, I couldn't make myself play it.

5. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Oni, i've only played the pc version (don't know if you mean the playstation one or the pc one) and it's fun the first time. However it's only fun the second time with cheats. The other problem is that it's a game with some damm hard sections with the save points just a little too far apart. The fighting is quite complex, and the moves look like they really connect (and the 'backbreaker' made me cringe through the entire game). The story is quite good as well and the levels feature some degree of originality, although if you go through them slowly they seem very bland. Some of the more serious cutscenes end up being funny rather than serious though.

Overall it's a good game at budget price.

6. GI Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Wizardry 8 is very good (turnbased RPG)

Icewind Dale 2 suck story-wise, but it's required for Icewind Gate 2 ;)

Hope this help

7. trillex Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I can highly recommend FreeSpace 2 (and 1 for that sake). It's one of the best space sim ever made, with a very nice story.

8. Manus Gems: 13/31

Well, I liked Wizardry 8, and I would heartily reccomend it for a change of pace from the current RPG's. I thought is was a lot of fun.

MMIX is not as good as VI or VII I think, but still fun if you're a fan of the series. Too bad the ripped the sci-fi elements :(

Truth be told it is quite different from its predecessors, but still very similar as well. If it's cheap, then why not?

9. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

@ Chevalier

There's a mod that turns IwD1 into 3E!? WHERE!

IwD 2 is a good hack n slash game with a bad story.

10. Manus Gems: 13/31

This is kind of really off topic, but I heard of a mod by Team BG announced about half a year ago in a magazine that said that they were converting BGII to DragonLance, and it would be 3E, and also many other changes (such as a point system like Mana for spells etc) <- where do I put the full stops here; one after 'etc', and then another after the bracket?

Don't know if it is still being made, or even if anyone cares, but just thought I'd mention it.

11. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2017
  12. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I hope Virne doesn't mind, but I'd like to ask people's opinions about a couple of other games I just saw that were quite cheap:

Freedom Force
    Mafia

I've played the demos for both, and wasn't convinced one way or the other. Opinions?

13. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I didn't mean that partial 3E mod. I meant a mod which transfers IWD1 content into IWD2 engine the same way IceWind Gate does with BG2. I can't recall where I saw that info, sorry.

14. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Heard that they both are pretty good, IIRC; FF too. :D

I have already ordered most of them, costing only about 100€, except for
    • Wizardry 8 (Could not find it from any online-shop. Question: is it like Morrowind? Without any plot?)
    • Oni (off the list, no one even sells it anymore)
    • Emperor -Battle for Dune (Off, danke)
    • M & M 9 (Not sure at all if it's that good -liked of M&M7, though)

15. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Escape From Monkey Island - don't bother. Play the third one. Actually, you probably need to play the third one twice, and just pretend that one of those times was this game.

Freespace 2 - good, but I never completed it. If you hammered on Wing Commander III, you'll hammer on this. It's like Wing Commander Prophecy in the game-engine, with just a tiny bit borrowed from WC3. I forget what the plot was. Shoot at anything that moves is a good start.

IceWind Dale 2 - Worth playing once. Maybe twice if you really change your party around and nit pick everything quest-wise. Go in expecting only another D&D module, and you'll do ok.

Max Payne - It's fun. It's bloody. It's long. Max Payne2 is even more fun, bloodier, but shorter. Your call. MP2 has some improved physics, though, so you can see the barrels and bodies flip around when you shoot at them. Skip the cutscenes, though. They'll just make you want to pee yourself. Maybe more, so that's even more reason to skip them.

Oni - Kind of almost neat, in a console way. I vaguely remember it. It's supar Japanese, so there's girls in school girl outfits and panties in the vending machines and everything else that goes along with it. Convoluted plots and revenge and the first to make bi-pedal robots. If you watch anime, then you're totally prepared for it, and you'll probably completely dig it.

Might I ply you with something else?

Soldier of Fortune II
    Warcraft 3 + Icethrone
    Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
    Thief1 or 2 ( you knew these had to be in here)

16. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

No thanks; the first part wasn't that interesting and AvP 2 beats the crap out of it anyday. :p
    Have + Have, and finished both.
    Not even interested.
    Have or Have, and very good games both, IMO. ;) Except for the zombie levels. :nolike: Wish that there could had been more about the relationship between Garret and that dryad, or whatever.

17. Manus Gems: 13/31

Well, as to your questions regarding wiz8 and m&m9.

Wizardry 8 is a lot more linear and plot-driven than was Morrowind, and a lot more so than wizardry 7 as well. But not too much that you only have one way to go, the choice is always yours, and there are a lot of other interesting things you can explore as well. Don't worry, it's plenty good.

M&M 9 is still a good game I think, if not approaching M&M 7 I think it is maybe better than 8, but I can't remember as it was a while ago that I played 8.

It's a different sort of game. In a different setting, and with a different character interface. I'm not sure how you will respond to this. It had a nice atmosphere, and decent gameplay, but the story-line could be a little dry at times. Still it was fun to play, I guess the best question is how much does it cost? It's your call on this one.

But if you cannot get wiz8, I think you may as well get it, as they (and IWD2 which I haven't played) were the only RPG's in your list, and I think that MM9 was better than most of the others you allready got. Just my opinion, but I would have left a few of those behind.

As to those other games;

Freedom Force; It's crap, don't bother.

Mafia; My brother bought this one. It's ok, but tries to be too many things and doesn't do any too successfully. Kind of a cross between Max Payne and GTA as far as style is concerned. If it's cheap, maybe. Maybe. But I didn't like it.

And I assume you were asking for out views on these as well...

Soldier of Fortune II; Don't know too much about this one, I didn't like the first too much. It is a shame that so many shooters are coming out these days so sub-par.

Try Call of Duty instead if you want a military type game. Or Blood Rayne, which blows both out of the water.

Warcraft 3 + Icethrone; Decent games, good storyline, fun gameplay. A lot of people play this multiplayer almost consistently. I only played the campaigns, and they were highly addictive while it lasted. Wait for the price to drop a little lower and then go for it, but as it is they may be not worth it. The storyline is better than most of the RTS out there these days.

Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy. Don't buy the hype. A good game, sure lightsabres are fun, but you will finish it in about 2 days. It's a hollow game really. Not worth it, don't bother.

Thief 1 or 2. Never played the full games myself, but what I played I loved. Buy them, buy them now. Go!

18. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I'll only comment on the ones I've played.

Earth 2150- Excellent RTS. Well worth the money if you like strategy games.

IWD2- Probably the best game on your list. It's not BG2, but it is an excellent game if you can excuse the lack of depth.

Max Payne- There's better shooters out there. I still prefer Half Life to any of the newer ones.

Wizardry 8- Another excellent one. It's not a turn-based RPG, though you can do it in Turn-based mode. It's better than MM9.

MM9- Get Wizardry 8. This isn't a bad game, but there's better uses for the money.

Freedom Force- One of the best games released in the past few years. It's one of a kind in its genre and will prove an excellent addition to your computer.

WarCraft 3- Two words: "Get it." Incredible game, blends RPG and RTS together quite well. Good storyline too. Never played the expansion, though.

If you like FPS games, America's Army is probably the best available now. If you aren't a US citizen, you can't get it however.

Let me add more to get opinions on:

Gothic 2
    Halo

19. Manus Gems: 13/31

I have played neither of those games personally, but I was there watching while another did, and have heard a good deal about both of them, so to sum it up....

Halo: Thumbs down,

Gothic 2: Thumbs up.

Halo was a game with incredibly bad AI, repetititive gameplay and clunky controlls (when driving vehicles etc.), and a story re-hashed badly from Niven's Ring-world. Of course, I didn't like Freedom Force either, so you may like this one

Gothic 2 I'm told plays well. Interesting gameplay, linear storyline yet plenty of options for divergance (such as choosing your class halfway through the game) innovative features (such as forging your own armour and swords, tilting fields, and taking on an apprenticeship) and good atmosphere (graphics and sounds, personalities of NPC's, a diverse world and varied quests that involve more than the standard postal service fare. There are dragons as well, so it seems ok. Not the best RPG out there, but an excellent RPG/Adventure.

Hope I've been of help, glad we could talk on more than politics ;)

20. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Warcraft 3+frozenthrone is brilliant, as already said it combines rts and rpg. espacialy frozen throne, in both orcs and Humans(bloodelfs) story. also i love all the secret stuff thats in this game

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.