1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A latin phrase

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Mollusken, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Is there anybody here who knows latin? If you do, please you tell me what "Sit luceat lux" means. It's the name of a trance track from the Hi-Quality music competition at The Gathering 2001 (the most awesome LAN party of all times), and after 3 1/2 years I still wonder what it means.

2. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

It's rather "Sic luceat lux" in my humble opinion, and it must be translate into somehing along the lines of:
    "Thus shines the light"

3. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

Thanks. And by the way, and friend of mine found this really great site with latin phrases for all occasions.

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    It definitely can't be "sit" and can only be "sic". It means "may thus shine the light".

5. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31

That site is so cool! Thanx!

6. chevalier

Media:
    Those sites are fun, but be aware they may contain mistakes or "approximate" translations. If you're ever going to use any of such phrases in a serious way, I suggest you ask someone who knows the language. A dictionary won't be enough as words in Latin decline and conjugate, which seems to escape those sites' webmasters sometimes.

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

i always liked the one they used in gladiator, i forget the latin translation, but in english it goes "We who are about to die, salute you".

8. chevalier

Media:
    The original phrase is "morituri te salutant". It means "those who are about to die salute you". Don't know why it's typically translated as "we" etc. It would have to be "morituri te salutamus" for that.

9. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31

@ Chev
    Maybe you're the one that can finally tell me what:

"Baring Lunar Curvature" means Lunar refers to to Moon right? but that's as far as I get...

10. chevalier

Media:
    Yeah, lunar is of the moon.

11. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31

But that still leaves us with "Baring" What the hell is Baring???

edit:
    When I type Baring in Google I see dogs (Mostly naked)girls and a few old men...

12. chevalier

Media:
    Must be from the verb to bare or to expose. To expose the curvature of the moon, probably.

13. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31

I found out there is a painter called Laura Baring-Gould. Since the line I mentioned is followed by:

"Like Canvas for a lick of pain" (Quite probably an adaption of like canvas for a lick of paint) Maybe the line refers to her...

But chev, you can be right to...I found an articel about "Breast Baring" That could explane the topless women I found when typing Baring. To expose breasts in art...

14. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Uhh....SleepleSS; are you sure you're quote there doesn't just mean "exposing the curvature of the moon"? (like chev said...) The words are all english...

And I was wondering also about the Latin words for "Father, Son and Holy Spirit" and their proper spelling. I've seen a few different ways of spelling the Latin words; but I don't know which form is correct (I assume "Patri, Fili and Spiritu Sancti to be the correct words...but I'm not sure).

Oh yeah; and can anyone tell me the Latin word for the verb "to serve"?

15. chevalier

Media:
    Latin nouns decline. This means that where in English you would just add a preposition, in Latin you have to change the ending of the noun with or without adding a preposition.

Nominative: Pater, Filius et Spiritus Sanctus
    Genitive: Patris, Filii et Spiritus Sancti
    Dative: Patri, Filio et Spiritui Sancto
    Accusative: Patrem, Filium et Spiritum Sanctum
    Ablative: Patre, Filio et Spiritu Sancto
    Vocative: Pater, Fili et Spiritus Sancte

"To seve" is servo, servare. Bad news, it conjugates, meaning each person has a different ending. And then there are tenses and genders :evil:

16. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31

Yess Faerus I think your right I just never heard the word Curvature before and I thought it was latin But after Chev's reply I took a dictionary to find out it indeed was plain english, my mistake!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.