1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A joke I don't get?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Baldrak, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Baldrak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

In the area between Nashkel and the Nashkel mines you encounter a kobold, a tasloi and a Xvart called Larry, Darryl and Darryl. You can have their autographes and when you ask why they are there, they say you are from the wrong genaration.
    I suppose it's a reference to something outside BG, but I don't understand what it is about. Did I miss something or is it a refence to something probably unknown to Europeans?

2. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

Larry, his brother Daryl, and his other brother Daryl are characters from an American sitcom called "Newhart". It ran for a while in the 80s, if my memory serves.

The three always appeared together, and the two Daryls never spoke. Larry would always start any conservation with "Hi, I'm Larry. This is my brother Daryl, and this is my other brother Daryl."

3. Baldrak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Ok, thanks. I never heard of this sitcom, so I missed the reference. But now I understand what the joke was with this encounter...

4. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Is that the same as the Bob Newhart Show?

5. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

Bob Newhart had a few sitcoms--The Bob Newhart Show, Newhart, and Bob (I sense a theme here, but I can't put my finger on it). The Larry, Daryl and Daryl reference is to the one where Newhart is an innkeeper in a New England inn, which IIRC is Newhart.

6. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    That was a great show, my dad made sure we watched it every week :) I almost pissed myself when I had that encounter the first time :p

7. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

8. Mayfairy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] I have never heard about the show but meeting these guys was fun thing. Baldrak, you are from the wrong genaration. :D That's why you don't get it.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    To really remember the Newhart show, you'd at least have to be in your mid-20's. I'm not sure of the exact years, but I'm sure they stopped making episodes by the late 80's. Since you'd have to be old enough to remember, anyone born later than around 1980 isn't going to remember it. Also, if you're European you also probably would never have heard of it. It was popular, but I think it's popularity was limited to the U.S. and Canada for the most part.

10. Buck Naked Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

IIRC, I was in seminary when the series finale aired, so that was probably some time between the spring of '89 and the spring of '92.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.