1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A Job Without Math

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by reepnorp, Feb 9, 2005.

1. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    My math teacher offered an extra 2% to anyone who can come up with a job that doesn't involve math in any way. He says that he only knows of one that doesn't involve math, and everyone in the class is stumped. For example, bouncers at clubs or whatever use angles if they have to throw someone. He's got nearly every base covered. Any ideas?

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Well math is a way of describing reality, so basically he is asking for a job that is does not involve a reality.

3. Jazhara7 Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Food Tester.

Unless he counts the pies. ;)

4. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    He says that there is at least one job that he knows of. As for the food tester, he'd say that they have to rate the food, and possibly on a scale from 1 to 10. For a bunch of jobs his excuse is hourly rates.

5. Jazhara7 Gems: 7/31

That's one tricky math teacher...

But how about those food testers that test the food for important persons. I forgot the name. It is so that the celebrity is not poisoned, in case there is poison in the food.

I know it is not a very widespread occupation any longer, but I believe some more exotic celebrities or important people still employ one.

I think I am stumped too, unless he would accept Philosopher (self-employed) as an answer.(I doubt it)

6. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Sounds like he set you an intractable question... If he's gonna use "you get paid" as an excuse for a job 'needing' maths, you're pretty stumped! And as for a bouncer calculating the angles with which they toss drunks through the door... Highly dubious! Tell him that The Magpie says he's a big, filthy cheater! :p (But only very quietly, or you might get in trouble!)

7. Jazhara7 Gems: 7/31

May he be eaten by a grue. :D

I think the only "job" that does not necessarily involve maths, and is without payment is slave.

And I highly doubt that this is what he meant.

8. reepnorp

Media:
    He says that they do get payed, but it's just not an hourly rate. And it's apparantly a fairly widespread job.

9. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

Author?
    Actor?

Given the standard of reasons for rejection, I'm sure he can think of one for each of these. But they're the ones that come to mind.

10. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

How about diaper commercial actor? I am pretty sure none of those little babies have any knowledge of math.

11. The Magpie

Good one! But do the babies get paid direct, or is it the parents? Are they old enough to be legally employed? :confused:

I think this guy's just gonna make any excuse to weasel out of it. Magpies don't like weasels. :mad:

12. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Garbage men
    Pole Dancer
    Striper
    There has to be more then one

13. GrinninIdjut Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

As The Magpie says, doesn't being paid involve math? I mean, weather you are paid in currency or chickens there still is the question of how much. Given that we are accepting angle-calculating bouncers we may as well include being paid as involving math.

Hmmm, I once saw a chart detailing jobs and the amount of math they require. IIRC Disc Jockeys (radio announcers) were at the very bottom.

[ February 10, 2005, 00:55: Message edited by: GrinninIdjut ]

14. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Well I have one. Politician, they do not do anything that requires even a moment of thought. So I guess they would do. :shake:

15. reepnorp

Media:
    Garbage man: mapping routes to pick up the garbage, and the volume of the space inside the truck
    Pole Dancer: he had a reason, I forget what, though...
    Stripper: Amount of "goods" shown and hidden.

He's a clever person, I'll give him that.

16. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Cleric of some sort.

17. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I like JSBB's and Nakia's ideas. Some sort of nun or something who doesn't get paid money but gets paid in terms of free food and board and doesn't have to count anything.

18. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Since worrying about how much you get paid is out of the picture we should perhaps consider people wealthy or powerful enough so that they don't need to think about money themselves. But such characters are not 'widespread'
    The widespread thing also rules out people living in societies where money doesn't exist.

Maybe school students: they don't have salaries, are common, don't give a **** about math or their grades. Not a job per se, though.

19. The Magpie

Hmmm... Not sure about clerics. Numerology has a tendency to crop up in religion (e.g. six-hundred three score & six, tri-une God, and -heh- "Numbers"). Even Islam has a liking of the number 5, and it generally tries to avoid that type of symbolism.

And at the very least, they'd need to be able to calculate the number of "Cure Light Wounds" spells needed for the next day before going to bed...
    :pope:

20. GrinninIdjut Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

My kitty catches mice and is paid with pats on the head. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.