1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

a few questions...

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Phone_Tools, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Phone_Tools Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

hey everyone i'm about halfway through the game and i have a few questions. Is there any point in raising your intellegence above 19? i mean, you can learn all the spells with an intellegence of 19, but so is there any reason to raise it higher?

for a mage, after you've gotten int, wis, and chr scores really high (19+) what other stats are good to riase? or should i try to get those states even higher and forget about the other ones?

And finally, is it true that each character has a specific "ending" at the end of the game (like in baldur's gate, TOB?). If so, would it be possible to ditch the npc's i don't want in my party now, and just pick them up again before i go to the fortress of regrets, so the rest of my party can get more xp? or would they be way to much of a liability in the fortress of regrets that low-level?

thanks, sorry for asking all these questions, i'm just kinda obsessive compulsive about this kinda stuff, and i'm somewhat indecicive too :)
    -Phone Tools

2. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    The highest INT check in a dialogue is 21, so you can gain a bonus by raising your Int that high.

You get a bonus on all experience you gain from your Wisdom, so you may want to raise it to 25. There's a check for 24 at the very end of the game.

There is also a Cha check for 21, too, somewhere in the Outlands.

I'd say raise your Wisdom to 25, and maybe Intelligence to 21 and then Charisma to 21. But first of all, play your own game. You will probably want to replay the game anyway.

Edited to say:

Sorry - forgot about a Charisma check for 24 at the very end. But you can raise your Charisma late in the game anyway.

3. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

regarding other scores, Constitutio increase your hitpoints of corse, and your regeneration wich is much higher than in normal 2E rules. with some of teh highest constitution scores many monsters can barelly harm you since you regenerate so fast. however, it can get anoying at times when an Abishai hits you, then you can barelly SEE it becose of all the regeneration numbers that pops up to obscure sight over your head. ;)

Dexterity is ALMOST the only way to get armor bonuses, andcan give some cool converstion posibilities, like snapping peoples necks.

Strength, well... even as a mage i got into lots of fights, and having a good strength makes you bash people to bits. besides, fighter is the most "efficient" class in the game anyways. I got to level 20 in under 24 hours by consentrating on Str, Wis, Con and pure fighter.

It is a game that ca be played in many ways :) want a challenge ? try a thief with little strength bonus.

4. Montresor

Media:
    Should also add: Some characters have a specific ending at the last area, and you can get a final conversation with all characters. But you won't need to raise their experience; it won't matter how experienced other members of your party are in the final area. In fact it pays off to raise your own experience, not theirs.

(Sorry if I'm a bit vague. I prefer not to spoil too much for you. ;) )

5. Phone_Tools Gems: 3/31

alright thanks for the advice everyone. the reason i'm asking about the npc stuff is because i don't really want to have ffg in my party the whole game, but i do want to see her ending, so yeah, she'll probably be only like level 7 or 8 at the ending and everyone else will be way more powerful. thanks for the help
    later,
    phone tools

6. Phone_Tools Gems: 3/31

hey, i have another question, kinda wierd, but here it is:
    when your party members talk to each other randomly, but then you have to reload to before they talked to each other, does the game ever again allow the npc's to have that conversation again, after reloading to before it happening? it kinda seemed like it didn't in BG 2, but i may be wrong.
    hope that made sense,
    -PT

7. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

they will happen, just at random timers. so no worry you wont loose anything.

8. Montresor

Media:
    I think the savegame contains information on what the NPCs have said to each other up until the save time, so I suppose you may hear the same conversations again, if they occurred after you saved.

9. Phone_Tools Gems: 3/31

hey guys, thanks so much for the help. Anyways, i have *another* question lol. Why the heck can't i steal stuff from vrishchicka's(sp?) curiousity shop?? No matter how much i pump up annah's pick pocket with rat charms and such i can't ever steal anything from there. The highest i can get it with charms right now is 127%, but still, i can never steal anything. Why?

10. Montresor

Media:
    The likelihood of a successfull theft depends on the thief's skill and a store-specific constant. Since the constant is very low for Vrishika's shop, the risk of getting caught is pretty high, even for a skilled thief.

You'll probably need to save your game before attempting to steal from Vrishika - or pay for what you want. ;)

BTW, stolen goods cannot be sold at other shops, so only steal what you want to use!

11. Phone_Tools Gems: 3/31

thanks, i have one more question though: does the faction you're in have any big impact on how you finish the game? Right now i can't really decide who I like more, the godsmen or the sensates. But does it matter in terms of how the story plays out?
    thanks, please don't give any spoilers in your answers though!
    -PT

12. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

no, it doesn't. as far as i know at least..

13. Montresor

Media:
    *Trying to avoid spoilers*

If you're a Dustman, there will be fewer of a type of hostile creatures in one of the final areas.

Also, one of the final battles and one final dialogue depend on your alignment.

14. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

There are a couple of dialogues that vary by whether you're in a certain faction or not. Nothing dramatic. Alignment is a much bigger issue.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.