1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A few hours in

Discussion in 'Torment: Tides of Numenera' started by Merlanni, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    So far so good. It has got decent reviews an lives up to what I expect.

Would be nice to have the original remasterd.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Thank you for doing the beta testing for us. :D

3. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I don't think I'll be playing it anytime soon. The reviews have exposed far too many issues that I'd like to see resolved before I go and ruin my experience.

Slith likes this.
  4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    :wave: What he said. Being in the first wave of beta testers err players is something that I happily leave to more eager gamers while I wait for the patches.

5. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Pussies. Probably console gamers, the lot of you.

6. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Ironically, many of the issues probably stem from the fact they decided to port the game to consoles.

7. Merlanni

Media:
    8 hours gone. apparently no XP for killing. lots of little bits of XP for asking questions. Baldurs gate style conversations, granting XP when asking the right questions.

The game is stable, expect for one glitch during combat. A save-game solved it. The combat is turn based, a like Divinty original sin, or ToEE. An adaption for the rules, no D&D.

Slith likes this.
  8. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Cypher system awards XP for discovery, not for killing monsters. It's a natural transition for those of use who leveled our characters with the story, not so much for D&D players.

9. Shardnax Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

The short of it for me:
    Lots of fluff and too much hype on the part of Inxile it is. Planescape: Torment, it's not.

The somewhat longer version:
    Combat is lackluster.
    Dialogue trees are expansive but quite boring most of the time. It's very neat to observe the NPCs picking their noses when they think you aren't looking. The massive chunks of descriptive text start getting annoying when it's in practically every conversation, many of which are pointless.
    Banter is minimal.
    Most items are sellable gold fodder with fluff tacked on.
    Party size of 4 stinks.
    Barely any playable/joinable NPCs.
    Story and character progression are plodding.
    Side quests are generally alright but most of it ties back to #2 and the stupidly long for the sake of it dialogue trees.
    Merecasters are fluff that requires work, ew!
    Tides are little more than colored alignments no matter how they spin it.

I can't say I'd recommend the game to anyone at full price. Pillars isn't my favorite game of all time but it was a lot better than this. Too much trying to differentiate themselves from D&D lately.

10. Shardnax Gems: 6/31

Veteran

Beat the game and.....
    My opinion is mostly unchanged.

I won't spoil anything but, don't expect much from the antagonist(s).

Edit: I almost wasn't going to say it but, the game really feels more like a pitch to go buy into the tabletop system rather than the game it was supposed to be.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  11. Taluntain

Media:
    Is the game really so easy that everyone seems to be finishing it very fast, or just that short?

12. Shardnax Gems: 6/31

Veteran

A combination of both, I think. Once you start getting edge it makes skill checks extremely easy.

13. Wayward Son Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

So, skip this?

14. Taluntain

Media:
    Ouch. I backed it along with quite a few regulars here so I'm still going to play it once it's been properly patched up. Can't really say that I'm looking forward to it now, though. The KS games cashing in on the Infinity Engine nostalgia just haven't delivered what most of us have been hoping for so I doubt that I'll be backing anything in advance any more. Better just wait and see what's actually delivered and then buy it because KS promises are way too easily broken.

15. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I think people are far too critical of the games coming out now. Everyone needs to get out of Nostalgia town and get some perspective.

Pillars promised to be the spiritual successor to BG and that's exactly what it was. It failed in certain aspects (like modability), but it delivered an experience very much like that of BG1 and more. Pillars 2 is looking to be an improvement across the board, so it might be nearing BG2 in quality (too soon to say).

T:ToN isn't Ps:T, but it's not what they said it would be. They promised to deliver the thematic successor to the old Torment and that's exactly what they did. Sure, they failed to balance the game properly, but anyone who's played even a couple of RP sessions with the Cypher system would understand that this was inevitable. It's simply not a balanced system and it would require a large time investment to make it one (which they couldn't afford). I'm kinda peeved that they cut content in favor of features like console ports, but cut content is ultimately also inevitable. Ps:T had cut content too (quite a fair amount), the only difference is, we didn't know. That's just one of the side effects of open development.

Wasteland 2 had a lot of things going for it and I enjoyed it a lot. Since I haven't played the original Wasteland, I have no idea how it compares to it, but it was thoroughly enjoyable and I'm looking forward to Wasteland 3. It's sure as fuck better than Bethesda's Fallouts.

I have yet to play Tyranny, but from what I understand, it's a fun experience with a cool concept, so I'll definitely get to it eventually.

As far as I'm concerned, Obsidian and InXile are both doing a stellar job. There's always room for improvement, of course, but there's only so much they can do with the budget and manpower that they have. You wanna see a real disappointment? Look at the recent BioWare games. If anything, it's the AAA scene that hasn't been delivering at all lately.

olimikrig likes this.
  16. Taluntain

Media:
    Wait, wait, who's posting from Keneth's account now? Show yourself, imposter!

17. Shardnax Gems: 6/31

Veteran

I'll agree on the Obsidian front but, not Inxile. I see nothing wrong with comparisons to a game the developers specifically mentioned. ToN is a average at best game without any comparison to its betters, let alone with.

18. Wayward Son Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

When you say that you are making the spiritual successor, that makes most people regard it as, "Oh, so they're gonna make it as good as or better than the original," so they temper their expectations around that, even if subconsciously. And this is actually closer to Bethesda calling Fallout 3 and 4 Fallout games, as T:TON is called Torment. As in part of the name of the original game. So that adds to the hyped up super-expectations. Are they unreasonable? Yes. Are they uncalled for? In the realm of human psychology, no.

19. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I didn't say you shouldn't compare the games, I'm just saying that your expectations were misplaced. Unless the games are being produced by the same group of people using comparable technology (i.e. a direct sequel), there is no way you could possibly expect a "successor" to be an improvement any more than you could expect a die roll to be favorable every time you toss it. It's a successor, nothing more and nothing less. Hopefully, InXile will be busy improving the game now, rather than circlejerking. Time will tell.

20. Shardnax Gems: 6/31

Veteran

My only expectations were that it would be on a similar level overall. I don't think it's a terrible game that shouldn't be played. I do think it's a middling one not worth full price.

They've got a lot of work to do with bugs and optimization.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.