1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A Cure for Cancer?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Gnarfflinger, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I stumbled upon this just now.

It sounds good, Cheap and likely effective. What's wrong with this?

It just sounds too good to be true...

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    It's an opinion piece - and it's also about 1.5 years old. Something tells me that some university/company would have looked into this if it actually worked. It would also help if the guy linked to the study he refers to in the article. Without the research paper, I cannot draw any conclusions based on one guy's opinion.

3. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I am quite sure that some medical companies would dread a cure for cancer. Think about how much money they would lose if there was a cure.

4. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    But think of how much money the compnay that developed the cure would make.

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The chemical (dichloroacetate) apparently can't be patented, so it may be that any resulting drug couldn't be patented either. Then again, maybe it could.

Anyway, a quick google of "dichloroacetate" for articles in the last year suggests that research is still going on.

6. Tarrasque

Tarrasque Whoever said Paladins had to be charismatic? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Just doing a quick check on wikipedia reveals that regulatory approval was granted for stage 2 trials late last year.
    http://www.depmed.ualberta.ca/dca/letter_092407.pdf

Assuming this is successful and doesn't throw up any unforseen effects, it is likely to be several years before this drug is authorised for the treatment of cancer.

7. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    I haven't heard of this side of DCA use before.

It makes sense, mechanistically speaking*. I'm not entirely convinced of the efficacy of the thing, without studies presented.

*Although it's not exactly DCA that gets the mitochondrias active again, if that's how it happens. It simply boosts pyruvate to AcCoA conversion by stimulating the enzyme complex involved. The energy is rerouted from the final stage of anaerobic glycolitic processes, to the mitochondria. Since the cancer cells have (presumably) shut the mitochondria down to interrupt potential apoptosis, this new situation, and the imbalance of chemicals present forces them to power them back up, if they wish to exploit this energy. Whether they fail and die as a result, or whether apoptosis kicks in - *shrugs*.

The research is still taking place, which is a good thing.

Reports on DCA being used in treating certain cases of mitochondrial dysfunction are not uniform on the point of its toxicity - some report certain degrees of neural damage, some don't. (googled this)

If it's effective and not too toxic (everything is toxic, more or less) - great.

8. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    This is the big problem, isn't it? I've lost count of the number of times I've read or heard about a compound that had great anti-tumour effect, was very promising to treat this or that cancer, then upon further trials turned out to be very toxic. A friend of mine was working on a naturally occurring compound from plants that gave great results and was completely non-toxic in cell culture. As soon as they moved to animal testing the compound turned out to be prohibitevely toxic.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.