1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A couple questions

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Gonzago, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

1) How do you quote other posts? (With the quote bars, I mean..)

2) When posting links, how do you set them up to where you can just write "here" underlined for the link to come up? (i.e., without putting in the full text of the link...)

I'm a dumpkopf, I know, but whattayagonnado?

2. tabari Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Oh I know this one!! Just figured it out for myself this week.
    For quotes just on white quote button at bottom of post reply page. You'll get:

3. Gonzago Gems: 14/31

Okay, here goes...

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You can also do the same thing manually by typing in the tags (the things between the []). The buttons make it easier, especially when you don't know what the tags are.

5. Gonzago Gems: 14/31

Thanks to both of you...

6. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Not a dumkoff question. I was just wondering myself and didn't find any instructions. Thanks for posting.

7. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

[​IMG]
    Maybe a suggestion? Moderators?

8. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

If you look at the FAQ, there is a section called 'Using HTML and/or UBB Code', which links to this explanation of some of the UBB tags.

Not that is matters much know, as it was already explained. I just wanted to show that there is indeed a small tutorial, where I found out how to use the tags.

9. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

@Mesmero:

Ok, I realized that I was quite dumb anyways...

Not that I need a FAQ but... :D

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    No amount of help is of any use when people don't even bother to read the FAQ...

11. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Some people simply don't want to read every bloody FAQ and ReadMe. Okay, it's not hard; but there is over gazillion sites, games, programs, and forums with their own FAQ/RM. Normal to skip one or two, dont't ya think? ;)

12. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah, I know what you mean. It’s like when I was high school – there were just too many darned subjects to learn, so all I bothered to study was math. I couldn’t understand why my history teacher was so annoyed when I my paper on Henry VIII only contained a proof to the Pythagorean Theorem; she apparently didn't buy the old "normal to skip one or two" courses arguement.

13. Djieff Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

The way I see it, FAQs and Readme's are very important. Someone took great care in writing down all of this for everybody's benefit, so it's only normal to take a tiny fraction of that time to read it at least once. And NO, I'm not trying to suck up to anyone. I got enough of that at work, thank you very much.

That being said, there are no stupid questions IMO. At worst, the answer would be "check the FAQ". It is okay to forget stuff or to be unsure where to look for an answer, and that's where the online community kicks in, just like in this case.

Just my two cents anyway.

[Edit: Splunge turns up the sarcasm-o-meter and shares my opinion. Canadians, eh?]

14. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Sarcasm? Moi ? Never. :angel:

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Yes, but ours is very specific - it only covers the issues of this particular board. Issues that constantly keep coming up with those people who don't read the FAQ. It's not called a FAQ for no reason.

That's why in my Welcome PM I start with

Hello and welcome to the Boards O' Magick community, provided by Sorcerer's Place for your enjoyment. The purpose of this message it to make anyone who reads it go from :confused: to :) .

NOTE: No matter how smart and all-knowing you think you are, you NEED to read ALL of this. Because if you do not, the first mistake you make will undoubtedly be something that is covered here. So for your own sake, read this.

16. Gonzago Gems: 14/31

Many thanks for your indulgence, Tal. I think I'd have opened up a vein had I been branded IOTW. And, at long last, after 600+ posts, I may say with pride and without fear of contradiction, I have read the FAQ. :good: (Please don't hit me with the GIOTW for beginning a sentence with a conjunction... :mommy: )

17. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Oh, asking something like that in SS is fine. It's what it's here for. The statement in the FAQ refers to people opening separate topics about this in, say, the BG2 forum... And no one was actually ever made IoTW for asking about anything from the FAQ. It'd really have to be a flood of basic questions from it to warrant that.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.