1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A couple of movie questions - opinions

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Aldazar, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Just a couple of questions I was wondering about.

1) What's the WORST movie you've seen that you watched simply because you are/were a fan of a particular Actor/Director? Say why if you like.

2) What's the BEST movie you've seen that you watched simply because you are/were a fan of a particular Actor/Director? Say why if you like.

For me, the best would probably be either The Caveman's Valentine starring Samuel L Jackson - it was completely unique from anything I'd seen at that point and IIRC not very Hollywood-like - or Titus starring Sir Anthony Hopkins - it was on PayTV here a fwe years back and at the time I was just watching whatever came on, I started watching it thinking it'd be alright but nothing special and before I knew it the movie was over and I was completely awestruck, it was opne of those movies that I never really wanted to end.

edit - nearly forgot to post my choice for worst :rolleyes: :heh:

The only one that comers to mind right now as the worst movie I've seen just because I was a fan of someone was Nicolas Cage in The Vampire's Kiss. Been a while since I saw it but I do still remember that i really didn't like it at all. Couldn't get into the movie in any way. I just wish I could remember why.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Just off the top of my head, I might be able to think of some better ones later on:

1) Collateral Damage. I never miss an Arnie movie but this one is just plain awful.

2) This is an odd question because almost all of my favourite films I watched because I liked the people involved e.g. I watched the Return of the King because of Peter Jackson's successes in the past.

3. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    One of the worst, off the top of my head: Johnny Mnemonic. I liked Keanu Reeves ever since Bill & Ted, however that movie just sucked bad.

As for best.... I'm kinda like HB. I dont really understand the question. I watched movies that look good, and have people I like in it.

4. Chevalier Mal Fet Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Ohhh man.

1) I like Hugh Jackman. I thought he was excellent in X-men. That is why I was positively amazed that he would star in such a crime against mankind as "Van Helsing". Wow, did that movie suck.

2) I went and saw the Bourne Identity because I thought it'd be cool to see Matt Damon in a really serious, powerful sort of role. Turns out the movie was quite good.

5. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I don't really care to remember the names behind any movie. I just care about the movie.

Still, I do have one movie I remember I watched because of having nothing else to do at the time and seeing Robert De Niro's name on it. The Deer Hunter. I swear I've never been more disappointed in any movie before. De Niro was a shadow of what he is today, and the movie was a boring piece of crap that in no way succeeded in delivering anything of the Vietnam war like it was supposed to.

As for the second, I don't rightly know. Perhaps one of Eddie Murphy's stage acts. Or The Shadow by Alec Baldwin (though this movie came out so long ago I no longer remember why I went to see it in the first place, it was a damn good one though).

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

yeah, the Shadow was awesome :)

For me, Life, with Eddie Murphy and Martin Lawrence. Jeez, judging from the trailer and these 2 in the same movie, I was xpecting a comedy and got a boring sobfest :mad: I'll try and think of more later but this is the only one that comes to mind right now.

7. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I actually really like the Deer Hunter and have always considered it a great movie.

8. Aldazar Gems: 24/31

Well, the second question I guess WAS a bit vague but what I mean is this: movies that you've decided to see simply because of the stars/director etc rather than (maybe even in spite of) reviews, storyline etc.

As an example, I was once a 'rabid' fan of Alicia Silverstone and while on a quest to see everything she'd made (I'm almost ashamed to admit this), I even sat through one of those atrocious Judith Krantz novel-based movies. Just because Alicia was in it. Mind you, I was 17 or 18 at the time and young enough to be so obsessed not to care.

Hopefully that clarifies the question a bit ( as well as pointing out how pathetic I've been in the past)

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Ah, it's still a bit tough to come up with a film that:
    a) I liked the actor / director involved
    b) I heard that it might not be any good otherwise
    c) Decided to be bull-headed and go anyway
    d) Turned out to be quite good.

10. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Weird I love Deer hunter and by the way it's not supposed to be a Vietnam movie, it's a movie about how friends can change and how war specific changes people, the only reason why it takes place in Vietnam is because it was the most recent war.

That aside the worst movie I saw was probably "first Knight", what was Connery doing in that movie? That movie was crap.

Best movie. damn that's a hard one, I guess "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" is my favorite for the time being, but that might change :)

11. Harbourboy

OK - I've thought of one.

I thought "Punch Drunk Love" sounded silly but it had Luis Guzman in it and he's a legend so I watched it and thought it was brilliant.

12. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

I didn't take it for an active vietnam movie, but I was expecting to see some decent references to it. While I like many different types of movies, the Deer Hunter was just plain boring. It was about people without personality drinking beer. I didn't see any real plot there, any reason to feel intrigued or emotionally touched. It was just... nothing.

And I've something to replace the second answer with. Hero. I went to see that largely because of Jet Li. I would've done it anyway at some point as I like those wacky eastern martial arts movies. But hero was ingenious. I never quite understood what was so special about Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Many other chinese movies have been just as good or even better. Seeing that movie 3 times has only strengthened my opinion of that the movie really has nothing to make it special. It's good, but not special. Hero on the other hand... it's splendid. The fighting, the plot, the characters, the style, the incredible immersion and let's *not* forget about the visuals! That movie completely blew my mind off and I've been waiting for an excuse to rent it and see it again since I saw it in the movies.

13. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

The worst is "The worm" (or something like this, I don't even remember the title of this crap)with Hugh Grant. He isn't my favourite actor but I consider him as one of the best actors out there and this movie was a dissapointment, only "Battlefield earth" has been worse than this one.

The best is "The sleepers" with Brad Pitt and Robert De Niro, just excellent.

14. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Worst: Battlefield Earth. :bang: I liked Travolta in Pulp Fiction, Face Off, and Swordfish, but this one was just...painful.

(One of the)Best: Heat. Al Pacino and Robert De Niro in the same movie. Oh, yeah.

15. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

I concur. but wasn't it just "Sleepers"? I read the novel it was based on after seeing the movie

16. Aldazar Gems: 24/31

Could that be "The Lair Of The White Worm"? It was on PayTV a fwe years ago when I still had PayTV and I saw a few minutes of it, couldn't stand it. But one movie I saw recently for the first time - supposed to be great but I hated it - Bridge On The River Kwai. Didn't like it at all and the only reason I sat through it is because I was on a bus coming home from Sydney when it was on. Couldn't very well walk out of it.

17. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I found Sleepers to be quite a disapointment, it had a great cast and I thought it would be awesome but it felt kinda like a Hallmark movie.

18. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

A hallmark movie? With the plot it had? :eek: I think they should also bring another of Carcaterra's novels to the screen, Gangster.

19. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

@Aldazar

Perhaps but realy I can't remember. What I remember is that Hugh Grant was an archeologist and he was doing excavations to roman ruins in northern England. As for the "Bridge on river Kwai", IMO it is great movie if you don't care about the historical inaccuracies. And of course the tune rocks.

20. Rednik Gems: 21/31

Worst movie I've ever seen because I liked a particular director: Chasing Amy. It started out pretty well, and then it just became awful.

Best I've seen because of a particular director. No idea. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.