1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

7+ characters per party

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by angryguy, Aug 30, 2004.

1. angryguy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Is this possible in any way, shape or form?

I've heard it said that the 6-character limit is "hard-coded into the game engine" i'm willing to wreck the game if i can have more characters. Anyone know how?

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Surely it must be hard-coded because where would the portraits go for the extra team members? There isn't enough space on the screen is there?

3. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Hmmm IIRC on a higher resolution there is more space, so that wouldn't be it...
    Dunno though, seems like a crime (morally, not legally) to do that to the game, it'd be wrong IMO, and I've not ventured into how to do it.
    :borg:

4. angryguy Gems: 7/31

Yes, if you dont play in miniature resolutions (i play in the max the game will take, 1600x1200 or something). But they dont neccessarily need portraits, do they? If they worked like familiars....

5. Marcus_Giden Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

What would be the point to have more characters if they worked like familiars? You can't equip them with anything and they can't carry anything.

6. angryguy Gems: 7/31

right clicking on them to access inventory, all the buttons from left sidebar still working...just a workaround so they dont need a portrait.

7. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I think it would be great if someone was able to mod it so you can have 7+ members in your party. I've always wanted to play through the entire game with every NPC, much like an army. Imagine the banters!

8. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

The micro-managing would be hell though.

9. Abomination Gems: 26/31

And thats what scripts are for.

10. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

It's not possible to get 7 true party members.

You could perhaps script it to get people to follow you round and attack, in the same way as summons or familiars, but you cannot mod it to give you more than 6 true party members.

11. angryguy Gems: 7/31

Could you have some following you around, a la familiars, but be able to switch party members more freely, to access equipment etc.

Rather than kicking NPCs out, they are demoted to the 'follower' contingent, or promoted to true party members, as you desire. Thoughts?

12. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

It could work but their dialogue files would be messed up, because the banter etc ones are only applied when the creature is actually in the party.

And really, why would you want to? It's not like the game is hard, so not that reason, and there would be dialogue issues, so not interaction either.

13. Gabez Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

"i play in the max the game will take, 1600x1200 or something" - wow, you must have eyes like Superman! The highest I can take is 800x600, which incidentally has room for one other portrait.

I always thought it would be cool if summoned creatures had a portrait, though. Like you would click on a seventh portrait of the most powerful summoned creature and it would select them all.

14. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

If it was just a matter of pictures, that could be fixed easily enough. Now, I'm no expert, but I'd say there are more issues then that to deal with to add more members.

Though the idea of strolling through Amn with an army, even just for fun, sounds cool.

15. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Its illegal. If you check the EULA or the ToS or whatever came with the game, it will say expressly. Its illegal to muck around with the hard-coding of the game.

16. Abomination Gems: 26/31

@Jaguar
    Exactly! Especially if you were then to add in your own multiplayer created NPCs :D

17. Col. Bruce Hampton Retired Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Higher resolutions will look better on a bigger monitor. Stretch it to 19" or 21" and you'll see where you can fit in more pixels comfortably.

I've never gone as high as 1600x1200 though, that would be cool. Everything would be really small on my screen, but you could probably see half the map at once, if not all. Kinda like playing the game in Map view? My setting is 1024x768 for this game.

18. angryguy Gems: 7/31

it looks good but i get some serious slowdown, dunno if the resolution is the main cause or not

19. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    From what I know, there is some mod to make it 8, but I neither know how it works (with portraits and all, or like followers), nor where to get it.

20. hazefire Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Sorry if this a little off topic, but really... whats the big deal with having more than 6 people ? I'm really bad with anything that has to do with computers so I have no idea why this is so complicated.
    As for why its necessary at all...well, thats just a matter of preference, isn't it? I'm sure a lot of people would love to have a huge group, and if you think its too easy then you can just set the game difficulty higher.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.