1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon - #1

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Death Rabbit, May 31, 2006.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] A friend of mine and I have been playing this game for years online now, and it's always fun in bars. I thought we might give it a go here.

For those of you unfamiliar, here's how it works:

Ever heard the theory of "6 Degrees of Separation?" Whereby through six people (i.e. you know someone, who knows someone, who knows someone, etc. etc. who knows Kim Jong Il, for example) we are each connected to every person on the planet. There's another theory out there about the movies, where every movie ever made can be connected - via the actors - to Kevin Bacon, within 6 moves. Hence, 6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon. Why Kevin Bacon? I think it's just because his name rhymes with "separation," but who the hell knows, it works.

How the game works is, the person beginning states the name of an actor or celebrity. In this case: Comedian Bob Newhart. So now I have to trace Bob Newhart to Kevin Bacon in six moves or less. It would look something like this:

Bob Newhart starred in "Elf" with Will Farrell;
    Will Farrell was in "Old School" with Vince Vaughn;
    Vince Vaughn was in "Rudy" with Sean Astin;
    Sean Astin was in "The Goonies" with Josh Brolin;
    Josh Brolin was in "Hollow Man" with Kevin Bacon.

That example was done in 5 moves, so it was successful. Of course shorter routes can be taken, but you get the idea. 6 moves is the maximum, and of course 7 moves or more doesn't count and you don't get to advance.

If successful, you may post your own actor for guessing (just like the Quote Game), where anyone can answer. One caveat: You must know for a FACT that the person you post has indeed starred in at least ONE feature film, otherwise a potential trace could be impossible. For example: Joseph Stalin never appeared in a movie, so obviously we can't connect him to Kevin Bacon. Get it?

EDIT: RULE ADDENDUM - This should go without saying, but ising Internet Movie Database or other such sources is CHEATING. You may use a single google search on the given actor's name ONLY if they inspire a "who the hell is that?" moment, but from there you're on your own.

The rules can be clarified and modified as we go along, and of course, this may turn out to be a disaster. But I thought we'd give it a try, and it might me a fun new staple around here (as it is with my friends and I).

So, let's begin with an easy one:

Denzel Washington

[ May 31, 2006, 17:08: Message edited by: Death Rabbit ]

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Denzel Washington was in "Crimson Tide" with....
    Gene Hackman was in "Mississippi Burning" with....
    Steven Tobolowsky was in "Murder in the First" with....
    Kevin Bacon.

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Nice, I see you're an old hand at this, HB. :D

If you do it, go ahead and post the next name.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Seann William Scott

5. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Seann William Scott was in "Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back" with...
    Jason Lee, who was in "Vanilla Sky" with...
    Tom Cruise, who was in "A Few Good Men" with Kevin Bacon.

Next up: Sally Field

6. Harbourboy

That's too easy:

Sally Field was in "Forrest Gump" with...
    Tom Hanks was in "Apollo 13" with...
    Kevin Bacon

OK, Death Rabbit thinks he's a gun at this game. Let's try:

Charlie Chaplin

7. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Oh look, he's gettin' cocky. :shake:

Charlie Chaplin was in "A Countess from Hong Kong" with...
    Marlon Brando, who was in "The Island of Doctor Moreau" with...
    Val Kilmer, who was in "Top Gun" with...
    Tom Cruise, who was in "A Few Good Men" with Kevin Bacon.

Don't even STEP to this, son. :cool:

Actually, I should watch my mouth - I'm just waiting for JSBB to show up and make us both look like pikers. :p

Anyway, next up (directed at anyone, of course - I don't want this to be the HB and DR show) is:

Estella Warren

8. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

um Chow yun fat(crouthing tiger) to kevin bacon, thats at least a moderate challenge

9. Harbourboy

All it takes to stop me in my tracks is to name someone I have never heard of, as you have just done..... and JSBB will just name people that neither of us have heard of.

10. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Elfen - you have to wait till it's your turn, you can't just toss out a name at random. If you can accurately trace former model Estella Warren to Kevin Bacon in six moves, then you can post a new name, but not before.

11. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Elfen Lied, you need to win this to post your own...

Estella Warren was in "Planet of the Apes" with...
    Paul Giamatti, who was in 'Saving Private Ryan" with
    Tom Hanks, who was in "Apollo 13" with
    Kevin Bacon

Alright... Kiefer Sutherland (he shouldn't be too hard... he's made a billion movies...)

12. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Umm...how about "Flatliners" with Kevin Bacon? :shake:

Next up: Pat Morita

13. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ha! I figured you'd go with "A Few Good Men" again for Kiefer since you went there twice already. :lol:

14. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Easy, easy

Pat Morita - Karate Kid with
    Elisabeth Shue - Hollow Man with Kevin Bacon

Movies only makes it tougher. Hmm.

Michael Jordan

[ May 31, 2006, 04:45: Message edited by: kuemper ]

15. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Michael Jordan was in "Space Jam" with...
    Bill Murray, who was in "The Life Aquatic" with...
    Willem Dafoe, who was in "Spiderman 2" with...
    Alfred Molina, who was in "The DaVinci Code" with...
    Tom Hanks, who was in Apollo 13 with Kevin Bacon.

Next up: Peter Sellers

16. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Peter Sellers was in "The Pink Panther" with...
    David Niven, who was in "Casin Royale" with...
    Woody Allen, who was in "Hannah and her Sisters" with...
    Michael Caine, who was in "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" with...
    Steve Martin, who was in "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" with...
    Kevin Bacon

Next up is Orson Welles

17. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

Orson Welles was in 'Touch of Evil' with
    Charlton Heston who was in 'Hamlet' with
    Jack Lemmon who was in 'JFK' with
    Kevin Bacon

How about

Ursula Andress?

18. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Ursela Andress - Clash of the Titans with
    Burgess Meredith - Grumpy Old Men with
    Jack Lemmon - Mister Roberts with
    Besty Palmer - Friday the 13th with
    Kevin Bacon

Soleil Moon Frye?

19. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Soleil Moon Frye - The Liar's Club with
    Wil Wheaton - Stand By Me with
    Keifer Sutherland - A Few Good Men with
    Kevin Bacon

Edit: Wasn't thinking (had Sean Connery).

Pierce Brosnan?

20. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Sean Connery was in "Medicine Man" with...
    Loraine Brocco, who was in "Radio Flyer" with...
    Tom Hanks, who was in "Apollo 13" with Kevin Bacon.

EDIT: Ok, Pierce Brosnan...

Brosnan was in "Goldeneye" with...
    Famke Jannsen, who was in "Rounders," with...
    Matt Damon, who was in "Ocean's 11" with...
    Brad Pitt, who was in "Sleepers" with KB.

Next up: Jane Mansfield

(second edit - rules addendum added to top post)

[ May 31, 2006, 17:09: Message edited by: Death Rabbit ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.