1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

50 reasons LotR Sucks

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Gonzago, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Now, before all the purists start flaming me for this, remember: this is satire.

Got a good laugh out of it, just thought I'd share...

Edit: Came across this too, same site.

[ February 09, 2004, 20:47: Message edited by: Gonzago ]

2. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

That article, as they ssay in America "sucks" :D

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    :lol:

ps - this was posted a while ago - by Ara IIRC. I'm too lazy to search. :o

4. Baldrak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I think I've seen it before, but again: ROFLMAO!

:grin: :shake: :grin:

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:

6. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Haha... Hi-*bleep*ing-larious! :grin:

7. Razal'dar Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

His essay on Eminem is priceless.

8. Xerxes Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Not that im a huge lotr fan or anything but half of those "reasons" can be countered with "it is set in a F***ING MAGICAL-NON-EXISTENT WORLD!"

9. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Still the orc/goblin/frenchie comment does hold some merrit.

However that was the only witty thing I found in the article. Everything else was basically 'too stupid to be funny'.

10. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

# Homage or theft X?

The character of Elrond was based on Agent Smith from The Matrix.

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hmmmm, there are plenty of ways you could poke fun at Lord of the Rings (even though we love it). However, this article is not very witty at all. Most of the points are just silly.

Like the one about no-one ever going to the bathroom. That applies to every story, TV show, film ever! (With odd exceptions such as Along Came Polly and Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me).

12. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31

13. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    it shouldn't be battle droid syndrome, it should be the stormtrooper syndrome!

Am not touchjing the Elvish comments with a ten-foot pole.

14. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

The most stupid comment I saw was the one claiming Orcs were stolen from Warcraft... How ironic it was the complete opposite :rolleyes:

15. Gonzago Gems: 14/31

>Ahem<

I repeat: SATIRE . If you don't find it funny, don't laugh...but if you're taking it seriously, you need to spend a little more time in the humor gym.

16. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Of course it's satire, but satire is supposed to be funny and witty, and most of his points are neither. Additionally, the author makes no reference to the fact that he is satirizing the movie, and so he comes off not as witty, but as uninformed. Finally, even if you don't know much about the history of the books or Tolkein, you can easily refute about 40 of his 50 reasons. I'm all for satire, but it has to be done properly.

17. Gonzago Gems: 14/31

Well, you're probably not interested, but that site does a variation of the same thing with every movie they review. (I'm not going to link them here, but the Matrix stuff was hilarious.)

As far as that particular article goes, I don't think it's possible to find it funny, or satirical, unless you *are* familiar with the Tolkein universe. Seriously, reason number one should tell you that everything else that's coming is silly:

As I said, you may not find it funny, but this stuff was written *for* Tolkein nerds like ourselves.

18. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I agree with Aldeth. For satire to be funny it has to strike deep at the heart of its targets glaring vulnerabilities. Any Tolkien 'nerd' could probably come up with better ones than these. That is what we are saying.

One of the only ones that a Tolkien 'nerd' might agree with is the one about the Eagles. Like, why didn't they bring those guys out to help more often? Would have saved an awful lot of trouble.

19. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm with Gonzago here. I took the article to be poking fun at people who criticise a movie when they don't have a clue what they are talking about. I thought it was pretty humorous.

Edit: as usual, Death Rabbit says it better than me in the following post.

20. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My god you guys are killing me. If you don't find these amusing (which is your taste, I suppose) I think you're taking it way too seriously. Lighten up! I'm totally with Gonzie on this.

As an example: all of the "homage" points refer to characters or movies that came out long after Tolkien wrote the books, which is a round-about way of paying tribute to Tolkien for being so influencial, and poking fun at people who would seriously make such comparisons as if it mattered.
    Does he need to? Isn't it obvious? If he started off with "WARNING: THE FOLLOWING IS SATIRE," would it then be funny?
    Like this one?

"Speaking of Elves...

Elves are beautiful and wise and tall? Great warriors? Makers of fine lightweight weapons? Our modern knowledge of elves has observed only an ability to make cookies and toys. All the elves in the film are portrayed as living in a warm paradise (Rivendell) but our own information tells us the aforementioned group of toymaking elves work and thrive in the arctic. Hey, Mr. Jackson: Research is half of writing."

Come on...does this really need refuting?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.