1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

3rd Edition D&D die

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Bateluer, Feb 12, 2001.

1. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Okay, I just played my first game of pen and paper D&D. I can see why its addicting. . .

But, I was curious as to the meaning of a 4 sided dice. I've noticed weapons in IWD, and in BG1/2 often have weapons ratings og 2d4.
    I understand that the d4 refers to a 4 sided die, the funky pryamid, and I believe the 2 refers to rolling 2 die. As I look at the dice, I do not understand how you could roll two die and come up with acceptable damage.

In each corner are 3s 4s, 2s, and 1s. If I roll the dice, one corner will come up topside (duh), what then do I do with those numbers? If I roll two die and one comes up with 3 and the other is 2, what do I do? Do i add them, that seems like a massive amount of damage for a sword.

2. Vile Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I have been playing (A)D&D for quite a while. To answer your question... yes, you add them. 2d4 are better than 1d8. You must understand that the minimum for 1d8 is 1 while the minimum for 2d4 is 2.

It might seem like a massive amount of damage at first, but then think again... If a huge sword struck you, don't you think it would do quite a bit of damage? Besides, it's just fantasy. (This comming from an avid player? hah!)

[This message has been edited by Vile (edited February 12, 2001).]

3. Bateluer Gems: 11/31

I still don't quite understand.
    The four sided die is a pyramid, when rolled one corner will be facing up with numbers. There are always three sides with numbers, all the same. If I roll the die and the corner with the two comes up, I just take the two as the damage value? If I roll two 4 sided die, and get two corners with two, is that four? It just seems like a death blow to a character with only 12 HP, like my fighter. If I was two get struck by a damage roll in which both corners came up as three, would that be 6 points of damage? You don't add the three numbers that come up right?

4. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Yes, you add up the numbers from the two die. Whether they be 1+1(2) or 4+3(7). But lets not forget, 1d8 weapon could do the same damage easily. All that would be done is to roll one eight sided die and have it land on 7.
    Now, yes, that is a lot of damage to a very weak level 1 fighter. But just like in BG, you don't fight experienced fighters with bastard swords at first level, you run from them and everything else except a pack of diseased gibberlings or kobolds. At level one, you are nothing essentially. You are the stable boy that is first learning to swing a sword or the mage's apprentice first learning to cast a basic spell. You're not supposed to be fighting anything with any decent experience.

5. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Bat - If I understand your question...The number on the table is the number you rolled...All three sides should be the same number. If the roll calls for a 2d4, roll the four sider twice, add the numbers that were at the base of the pyramid of each roll...But just use one of the sides only...I.E. don't add 3, 3 times...

It's the opposite of normal dice - instead of reading the number that faces up, the numbers facing down on a 4 sider is your roll.

Does this make any sense?

[This message has been edited by Sir Belisarius (edited February 12, 2001).]

6. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Batchuer,

I'm glad you're getting into D&D - table top. Sir B gave you the right answer. The number on the buttom of the d4 is the one you count. Hence you read the number on the base which are all the same and tell you which number is on the buttom. I hope that clears things up. If you have any other question by all means ask. I'd been playing for over 15 years and would be happen to answer.

7. Bateluer Gems: 11/31

I wish I had some pictures of this. . .

If I roll the d4, I look at the numbers on the bottom of the die, the bottom hidden from view?

Excuse my ignorance, please.

8. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

No, the base of each side. The die has four sides. When you put it on the table one side is down. Now look at the die, around the base will be numbers, one on each side. They will be the only number 'right side up'. All three side of the die will show the same number at the base. This is the number you rolled. The side facing down.
    /\
    / \
    ---- <- read number on the base

I think there is a picture in the PHB. Don't read the number hidden from view but the numbers around the base. These numbers (which will all be the same) tell you what number you rolled. I hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Voltric (edited February 12, 2001).]

9. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Ok. let me try

Set the die in front of you on the table. Face on side toward you. Of the three numbers on that side, one should be upright. That number should be the one closest to the table, not on the underside of the die. Without picking up the die, turn it so that another side is facing you. There will be 3 more numbers, again only one of which is upright. It will match the first. All three sides should have the same upright number close to the table.

Better? If not, i can take some pics and mail you... :D

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    OK - Each face of the pyramid is a triangle (three edges), each edge has a number in the center of it. When the die is flat on the table, each of the three faces that you can see will have the same number in the center of the bottom edge of the triangle. That is also the only number that will be right-side-up when you look at it. That is the number you use as the die roll.

Looks like I'm late once again... :)

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited February 12, 2001).]

11. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Yeah, me too! :D

12. Bateluer Gems: 11/31

Okay, I think I am starting to understand.
    WOTC had a dice roller proggie on their site, I downloaded it and got the visual representation I needed.

Thanks for all your help!

13. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

What I think you are forgetting is that there are 2 types of d4s:

1_3
    _4_ <----- Number at bottom is used.

_4_ <----- Number at top is used
    1_3

This is why you are confusing him. Check your dice vs. this diagram and use accordingly.

BTW Crawl: 1d8 is obviously not the same as 2d4.
    2d4 deals 2-8 at 14.29% per possibility.
    1d8 deals 1-8 at 12.5% per possibility.

Thus, 2d4 is clearly better.
    :D I know you know, but I don't know if he knows you know, you know? :D

Amon-Ra

[This message has been edited by Amon-Ra (edited February 12, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Amon-Ra (edited February 12, 2001).]

14. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I'm sure it wasn't as good as Voltric's!

15. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Amon-Ra: Not quite correct about the probability distribution of 2d4.

2 = 6.25%
    3 = 12.5%
    4 = 18.75%
    5 = 25%
    6 = 18.75%
    7 = 12.5%
    8 = 6.25%

So the chance of getting an 8 is actually less than the chance when using a 1d8. But so is the chance of getting a 1 or 2... :)

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited February 12, 2001).]

16. Bateluer Gems: 11/31

So thats what was confusing me! I didn't even know there were two types of die! My dice uses the top number.

Now I understand fully!!!!
    THANK YOU ALL!

17. Sol'Kanar Guest

Jeez I'm glad my PCs never had this problem. When one of them asks a stupid question I just reach for the plastic bat I keep at my side, which I call the "DM's Bat" which I use primarily for insolent PCs, and give 'em a good whack, then answer the question. They usually get the point more quickly this way, or at least pretend to.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.