1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

3E & NWN weapon skill system

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Ragusa, Jul 18, 2001.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] As a total 3E and NWN newbie I am curious about it's weapon proficiencies. I don't have the slightest idea of how they will be like - perhaps similar to BG-2/ 2E?
    So I would be happy about explanation :)

2. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] You really do need to buy the 3E PHB, cos there are SHEDLOADS of them, far too many to mention here. They come under 'feats' and enable you to customise your characters fighting style WAY beyond the 2E kits. How many will be built into the NWN engine? Hopefully most, but not the FR regional feats I understand.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, as far as weapon proficiencies are concerned, there's simple, martial and exotic.

Simple weapons are like clubs and crossbows. Martial weapons are all the main types of weapons like swords, maces? (may be simple; I can't remember), longbows, hammers etc. Exotic are unusual weapons like nunchakus.

Then for feats, there are things like Weapon Skill and Weapon Focus you can choose to focus on a certain weapon to get bonuses when using it.

Depending on your class (and to a lesser extent your race), you get certain proficiencies by default, but if you want a proficiency you don't have, you can take it as one of your feats. For example, Wizards get the simple weapon proficiency only, so if you want to use a longsword (and aren't an elf), you can take the Martial Weapon Proficiency feat, and be able to use any martial weapon without penalty.

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited July 18, 2001).]

4. Ragusa

Media:
    So 3E/ NWN uses a modular and free combinable approach?

An example - you play an elven fighter:
    -class specific combat abilities
    -race specific combat abilities (maybe boni in l-sword & l-bow [or for dwarfs hammers & axes or halfling s-sword & s-bow & sling])
    -weapon focus
    -weapon style ...

Did I get about the right impression?

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yes, though the only race specific one I know off hand is that elves are automatically proficient in either longsword or rapier, and longbows.

Oh, and this is 3E for sure, NWN perhaps since it's 3E based. :)

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited July 18, 2001).]

6. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

As they try to make NWN as similar to 3rd edition as possible, I think these will be correct.

And about weapons:

simple weapons: clubs, crossbows & stuff.
    all but wizards gain it, cost: 1 feat
    martial weapons: all normal weapons
    most fighting types gain it, cost: 1 feat
    exotic weapons: bastard swords, double weapons, nunchaku etc.
    nobody gains it, Cost 1 feat/weapon type

7. Ragusa

Media:
    One more ignorant question regarding 3E/ NWN:

How does dual -& multiclassing work in 3E? Erran noted that I will have to spend a fighter level and then a thief level ...

So will I progress in the class I like to develop? Or do I have to share the xp I get on both classes or do I have to make a "cut" changing class (like when dualclassing a char in BG-1/2).

Additionally: When I choose a classcombinbation in NWN will I be restricted in my combat abilities, like the ** when playing a multiclassed char in BG-1/2? Or will I be able to develop the combat abilities like in a dualclassed char (means: to the maximum allowed for a fighter).

btw - And what is a "feat"?

8. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Whenever you attain enough experience to go up a level, you can choose any class you want to level up in. There are some complications depending on race how many classes you can have without incurring XP penalties, but other than that there are no restrictions. Certain classes have restictions that once you take a level in a different class you can no longer take a level in that class (Monks and I think Paladins are like this).

There aren't any * proficiencies any longer.

A feat is an ability that you can choose when you've reached certain levels (what is it? One every 3 levels? Every 4? I forget). They are things like armor proficiencies, weapon proficiencies, power attacks, combat casting, dodge, cleave etc., etc. They basically give you bonuses or special abilities.

9. Voltric Gems: 19/31

Dual-classing does not exist in 3E. Multi-classing is now more like DC was in 2E. You start with only one class say ranger. You gain XP and then can chose to gain a new level in your current class or a new one. Thus you could become a level 2 ranger or stay a lvl 1 ranger and add a lvl 1 druid. So now you are a 1/1 character with 2 lvl of XP. At third you can increase either Ranger or Druid to lvl 2.

What Erran was saying is you can't be a 10 lvl Druid and a 3 lvl Ranger.

I've simplified things. There are some racial exception to this rule.

A 'feat' is a ability or special talent. Feats include things like, shooting on horseback, charging with a shield, dodging attacks, etc. Here is the full list. http://ncweb1.wab.wku.edu/Plemons/Falcon/dnd_feats.cfm

Multi-class character have all the abilities of all classes.

Did that help?

[This message has been edited by Voltric (edited July 19, 2001).]

10. herf Guest

ok rag, heres all i know.
    feats arent here for total gamesavers, theye just meant to help you out along the way.
    every class and race gets at least one feat to bginw ith, human get an axtra one and fightes get an extra one. so if your a human fighter you get three.
    if fighter you get another one at level two and at every even level after that (i.e. 2,4,6,8).
    feats are lik special moves for whatever class, i.e. fighters can atack another prson if they kill the epron in fornt of them with "cleave"
    mages can chose a feat that lets the memorize a spell that they only see in action, for instance say you saw somneone cast magic missile and you didnt knwo it, you could learn it just by watching them.

feats are just theyre to customize your character, diversity and gameplay

11. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31

What do you mean you can't be a 10 lvl Druid and a 3 lvl Ranger? Of course you can! You'll just receive an experience penalty if your classes are more than one level apart.

You people forgot some classes have alignment restrictions... So all combos aren't possible.

12. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Hehehe, and you forgot that Humans and Half-Elves never encounter the XP penalty if they only have two classes. :)

It's difficult to cover all the bases when you're trying to be brief... :)

13. Vile Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Correction, humans (And half-elves I believe) only get the penalty if they have more than 2 classes that are more than 2 levels away from eachother.

Example: a lvl 5 fighter/lvl 4 cleric/lvl 4 thief is fine.

A lvl 5 ftr/4 clr/1 thf isn't... you get a penalty.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

14. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Hehehe, I told you it was complex, thats why I said buy the PHB - preferably from Sorcerer & Amazon!

15. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31

Hehehe... Can we make this anymore unclear? :D

Actually Vile, it's possible for that F/C/T multiclass to have no penalties also. Don't forget about the racially favored classes. A halfling, for instance, wouldn't get a penalty for the above combination, because the favored class is a rogue.

A dwarf level 5 fighter/ level 2 cleric/level 1 rogue would also have no penalties because the fighter is the favored class.

And it's not a *more* than 2 level difference, it's 2 or more.

16. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31

Favored multiclasses:
    Human: all
    Half orc: barbarian
    Halfling: rogue
    Half elf: all
    Elf: wizard
    Dwarf: fighter
    Gnome: illusionist

17. Ragusa

Media:
    OK - back to the combat system. I downloaded the NWN demo char generator and toyed around a bit:

So your char gets (a) a base attack bonus + (b) ability boni + (c) feat boni + (d) misc boni (btw - what's that?) resulting in an attackbonus of, let's say 19 (Question about the system's numbers: the higher the better?).

The AC usually seems to be a wee bit high compared to the numbers I am used from BG-1 & 2. Can anybody please explain how it is created?

When I attack an opponent with AC-16: Do I have to roll a 17 to get a score a sucessfull attack?

18. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Yes, in 3E I believe they tried to make everything consistent, so the higher the number, the better.

AC starts at 10 and goes up from there, so an AC of 20 is the same as an AC of 0 from 2E. You must roll the AC or better on your attack roll for a hit.

19. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

The miscl Boni can be anything from a bonus a sword gives the wielder, a bonus from a spell, or any other type of bonus your character gains in the game not related to ability scores or basic attacks or feats. An example from something like BG would be Defender, which gave +3 to hit and Damage. The plus three "to hit" would be a minsl Boni if I am not mistaken.

20. Silvershade Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Can someone please post a link to that NWN demo character generator that Ragusa was talking about?

Edit/

Ragusa: Thanks

[This message has been edited by Silvershade (edited July 24, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.