1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

3DMark03 Released

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Mollusken, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Though it isn't exactly a game, those of you who know about this program know that it is pretty much used to test your computer's gaming performance. You'll find a list of mirror here, but all the servers have been (and probably still are) suffering from extreme demand of this 171MB download. Think the best thing is to wait for FilePlanet for this one.

2. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Whev....

Again long time of testing and comparing(boasting) with friends. :D
    And they still own only 2000 :rolleyes:

3. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I haven't looked into the comparison engine yet.

But 3dmark2k1se was right next to worthless when compared to actual games. Yeah, it was pretty right on when you're playing Quake3.

But a bunch of other games didn't use the bandwidth of your memory like that. So, it would give an Athlon system a considerably lower score, when it pulled the same frames per second on Unreal Tournament 2003.

They were putting a lot of weight onto bandwidth; both memory and videocard. And not all games depended on it as heavily.

I have yet to see what 2k3 is like. I don't expect it to be much different. I put more faith in 6 or 7 different games, because it's much more difficult to spread around the cash necessary to weight down your score for a particular component.

4. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

ejsmith:
    In that case i'm happy to inform you that 3d mark 2003 is mostly graphic card based; the diference between an Athlon 1ghz and a Pentium 3,06ghz are like 300 points (and so far Radeon 9700 Pro scores 5500 points)

But.... On the downside, if you don't have a DX9 graphic card that score will go down, FAST. A Geforce 4 4600 scores like 2500 points. And if you don't even have a DX8 card, your score will be something like 200 points...

To sum it up; it's still a useless test... :D

[ February 13, 2003, 08:16: Message edited by: Fallen Paladin ]

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Tested my computer with it today. Guess what?

AMD AthlonXP 1800+
    256 DDR RAM
    GeForce Ti-4400
    MSI-Ultra ARU (Mainboard)
    Seagate Barraquda (Harddisk)
    SoundBlaster Live! 5.1

722 points! Holy ****! And the bloody test nudged most of the time! That test is from... fluffy teddy-bear. With an earlier version of the test, it would had been thousands. :confused: Gotta get those optimized drivers from nVidia...

Just out of curiosity, how much does additional 256 RAM add to the score?

[ February 27, 2003, 11:21: Message edited by: Virne ]

6. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

Extra RAM would probably do nothing. It is your "crappy" GeForce 4 (MX?) which gives you the low score. But don't worry, I'll post my GeForce 2 results here later today :p .

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Mollusken... Ti, Ti... So the fault is not there. Ti-4600 was the flagship product of nVidia just few months ago, before Ti-4800 came out. The difference with 4400 and 4600 is only small decrease in bandwith in case of the first mentioned.

[ February 27, 2003, 20:13: Message edited by: Virne ]

8. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

183 points :D . I'll buy a new computer after my year in the army is over ;) .

9. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Wooah, they must have changed the scoring system dramatically. I tried the 2001 or 2002 release (can't remember) and scored about 6500 IIRC.

10. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

It´s not that; the program just has lots of new features, and the textures must be pretty heavy. I don´t even want to guess what matrixes hide in there...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.