1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Benan, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Is anyone else excited for this movie. I am I love Frank Miller loved the graphic novel and the movie looks like good old violent entertainment.

Ever since I first saw an online trailer a few months ago I've been waiting for this weekend to go see 300. But whammo they throw me a curve ball. My ladyfriend has to work and I have two hockey games so perhaps next weekend.

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I am probably going to see it next week-end. All of the commercials and trailers have me thinking that it is going to be just plain bad. It looks just too over the top for me to like. The second I started seeing mutant freaks, war rhinos etc. I just groaned.

3. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Just saw it. If your a history buff prepare yourself for some giggles but (seeing as how its on the graphic novel) its pretty good. A successful battle movie if i've ever seen one. I'd recommend it.

4. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I'm not to worried on the historical aspect. I just want violence. Remember Frank Miller wrote the Sin City series of comics and the Robocop movies so realism is not a serious aspect of his work. So it would surprise me that 300 is a little out there. As long as it's violent, heroic and fun I'm fine, I'm not looking for a thinking mans movie right now. Something fun and full of adrenaline will work.

Kind of like after watching Memories of a Geisha and The Libertine I needed some action so we went to V for Vendetta and it made up for the other two.

5. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

It comes out next friday here in India...and I'm drooling all over the trailers already!! This movie's going to be a fantastic 90 minutes!! :D

6. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Wow. It kicked ass! Minus a bit of shoddy acting here and there (some of the lines were a bit awkward), it was sweet. Anyone who likes epic movies (or God of War graphics :p ) should see this.

Plus, it's pretty funny.

And it is 117 minutes.

7. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

@Benan,

And yes, it is very very violent. If seeing blood exploding from various punctures on the body is your thing, this is the movie for you. Epic movie style indeed.

8. JSBB Gems: 31/31

My brother came home from university so we went to see it tonight. It was awesome. :thumb:

9. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I'm looking forward to seeing it. I'm a bit of a classical history buff myself, but I won't let that get me down. Everyone wants to see the mad, rugged Spartans kick the crap out of a bunch of levied Persians.

10. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    It looks brilliant. It's not out till the 22nd here though. When I first started watching one of the trailers, I thought it was a film adaption of Gates of Fire (which would have rocked). Then I started seeing mutant creatures and I realised it wasn't. This still looks pretty good though.

11. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

What is your profession? ;)

I loved it.

@Barmy

Yeah, a Gate of Fire movie would pwn. That would be more on character development and drama, this was just an awesome guy movie. Best seen with a number of guy friends, the girls probably wont appreciate it as much :D

12. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    One of my co workers took the night off so she could go to the first showing (midnight). She said that's it's awesome.

I'm probably going to go see it next week. :rolling:

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The Gates of Fire movie was on the cards for a while. I think Clooney or Soderbergh or someone like that was looking at the rights, but I think it might have fallen by the wayside now, which is a shame.

14. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Just saw it for a second time, and it is just as sweet! Although, some of the poor acting bits show a bit more, but it is awesome nonetheless.

15. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

On the contrary, most of the girls I know who watch this movie actually loved it. Although, I don't understand why they tend to look at the abs and the muscles of the Spartan warriors. I mean, I only want to see the Oracle again. :D

[ March 12, 2007, 06:24: Message edited by: nior ]

16. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I havn't seen it yet, but the preview looks like its there to strengthen peoples racist views on Iranians.

The Persian Immortals were very sophisticated, but not in 300.

17. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

I wouldn't go as far as to say that Cuch, after all its pretty obvious that the movie took some creative licenses as evidenced by the monsters and, indeed, the immortals themselves shown as something other than human. I wouldn't say that they were shown as stupid either. AFAIK the main parts shown in the movie are still historically accurate, the fact that Xerxes sent his Immortals into battle before the Spartans were fully spent and they sustained enough losses that warranted a temporary retreat. My chief source of info is Pressfield's Gates of Fire (fiction) but iirc it is supposed to be quite accurate.

18. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Saw it last night. And as expected, it had loads of groovy fighting, mediocre acting and some nudity. But as a person above me here stated....its a jab at iranians for sure. But anyway its an entertaining movie. I gave it a 7 out of 10 rating on imdb. The movie is a tad hyped up though, but I wasn`t disapointed. Neither was I blown away by it.

19. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Actually when you get right down to it the Immortals are shown as being well equipped and technically excellent fighters compared to everyone else that the Persians had. They put up a hell of a good fight and inflicted a lot more casualties on the Spartans than anyone else did.

20. kuemper Gems: 31/31

:jawdrop: Those are real actors? Seriously, I thought it was all computer generated.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.