1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

27 inch 16/9

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Merlanni, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    My will save is being tested. A nice shiny 27 16/9 inch to replace my 20 inch 16/10.

So far it is enough to take 10.

But a penalty to the roll is coming in the form of a modest bonus after a good performance last year.

Never had an 27 inch, so does anyone know about hidden snags in this size. It main purpose is gaming so a TN panel for response is most likely.

2. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

27inch is too large for gaming. Try a 24inch or 23inch full HD Eizo instead, IMO.

If it's res is above Full HD, practically nothing supports it. Full HD exactly is best these days. 27inch tends to be hard to play with unless you have a very large desk.

3. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Thought about that, and you have a point. Most are full hd witht the same resolution as 24. And I have a spacious desk. The screen is about 50 to 60 cm from my face/edge of the desk.

I think that a 23 or 24 inch 16/9 is not that bigger as a 20 inch 16/10. That why 27 inch comes in the picture.

4. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I just replaced a 24" [that went south on me] with a new 27". I really like it, especially for working with lots of files and having different windows open at the same time. Of course working with spreadsheets is also great with that much room.

As far as games go, some are better than others. I love it for strategy games, like Medieval 2 - Total War; RPGs are not much different, except everything is larger. First person view is a mixed bag, since the movement is more intense; sometimes it is a bit annoying because of how the motion seems more intense, like bobbing up and down. If you are prone to motion sickness from first person view, it will be worse. But I don't have that problem, so for me it's fine.

Edit: Oh, yes response: 1ms.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116441

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  5. Merlanni

Media:
  6. Chandos the Red

Media:
    That's a nice monitor and I looked at that one. I wasn't sure about the rose color without actually seeing it. But it looks as good as the ViewSonic judging by the customer reviews.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  7. Merlanni

Media:
    It is so odd that a magazine and website I subscribe to talks highly about the Samsung, and gives it a gold award, but some sites burn it.

Some expect an other panel type for better colours but that will strain response time.

8. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Samsung makes nice panels, so I think you will like it. That was my first choice, but I wanted I nice, black glossy frame, rather than some rose color. I was afraid it would annoy me. As it worked out, I really like my ViewSonic, which is sort of my brand for monitors. I've owned 4 of them.

The reviews are correct, at first the colors were washed out and overly bright, so much so that I was going to send it back. But as one reviewer noted, the color seemed to improve after a short while. It sounds strange, but it seemed as if the panel needed to "burn in" and now it looks great as far as color and contrast. Either that or I have just gotten use to looking at it. Btw, the nVidia controls worked much better than the typical Windows controls or the on screen monitor controls for adjusting the image quality.

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The rose color on Samsungs is pretty subtle. It's like the glass has been stained a dark red where it mostly looks black except at the thin edges where it looks a dark reddish.

10. Merlanni

Media:
    Patience.

11. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Why go for a 27" Full HD and not a 22" - 24" if you are going to view it from a close distance? As you will end up with a higher price and less pixel density. Although this depends on personal preference and how wide viewing angles you need. If you need a fast response time then basically the only option is one of the better performing 120 Hz TN panels. If not, then Eizo could be something to consider, for example the EV2333WH which has outstanding image quality. Especially if you cannot reliably calibrate your display (with a basic colorimeter for example). But as said, it ultimately is up to what your own requirements and preferences are. Unfortunately there are not affordable monitors which are good in everything, you always have to sacrifice something.

12. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    All the opportunities for a double entendre in this thread, and no one even tried.

I'm deeply ashamed of all of you.

Honestly. Do I have to make all the dick jokes around here myself?

13. Merlanni

Media:
    It is located 60 cm from my face. I have a big desk.

It is a Iiyama Prolite 2712 HDS-1

I am content.

14. Chandos the Red

Media:
    I looked it up - very nice. I think you will be content with most of your games on it as well. :)

15. Merlanni

Media:
    Stalker Call of Pripyat in DX 11. Just wonderful.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.