1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

2007 Cricket World Cup

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Harbourboy, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

[​IMG] Well, cricket is not quite the most popular sport on SP, but the World Cup is on, and it seems silly to keep posting in the Ashes thread.

And the World Cup has come to life today with huge upset performances from Ireland and Bangladesh. This is huge stuff (a bit like how Australia played so well in the last Soccer World Cup) and a big vindication for the inclusion of these so-called 'lesser' teams.

Add to that the nice win by New Zealand over England and I am in full World Cup mode. Hopefully someone else other than Barmy Army will post here too. Maybe some excited Irish people enjoying their team's brilliant St Patrick's Dat performance.

2. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Its a good thing that Australia beat England in that trial game. At least that will give the guys some of their former confidence back.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

What a great day of cricket. England had better watch out for the mighty Canada tomorrow morning!

Oh Canada!

4. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

What a great day for World cup cricket, fantastic performance by Bangladesh to beat India. And an outstanding performance by Ireland on St, Paddy's day to outplay Pakistan and dump them out of the competition, hopefully they can continue the good work and qualify for the super eights.

And I'm fully expecting England to do stupid things, hopefully we got rid of most of them against the Kiwis, probably not though.

5. Harbourboy

Everybody loves an underdog - except the team that loses to them!

6. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Sweet, Michael Clarke's finally come good for me on fantasy cricket. :D

[ March 19, 2007, 02:08: Message edited by: Tassadar ]

7. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    We made that look like hard work...

What an eventful few days in the cricket world. Bangladesh.. Ireland.. England making hard work of Canada.. Flintoff having to get rescued from sea when pissed and being stripped of vice-captaincy and banned from the game.. Bob Woolmer passing away :( .

Mad weekend.

8. Harbourboy

Completely mad. The Cricket World Cup has gone nuts. The Irish win was FRONT PAGE news in New Zealand this morning. Who would have ever predicted that an Irish cricket result would ever make the front page? Plus, Woolmer will be on the front page tomorrow. Two days in a row - non-NZ cricket related news will be the biggest headline in the country. Amazing.

9. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Strange weekend, Ireland win at cricket! (And they deserved it), Engalnd scrape through, and Bob Woolmer dies :sad: Great coach who will be sadly missed, I know a lot of Pakistanis who are more upset by Woolmer dying, than them going out of the cup.

10. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

It was front page here in Adelaide too.

Is it just me or are the police investigating the death of the Pakistani coach a tad slow. I mean, it wasn't until last night that they released the startling announcement that they 'suspect' his death 'may be suspicious'. I thought that was a bit of a given from the minute I found out that he died (or is it just me who automatically assumes all sub-continent cricket officials are corrupt?)

The Australia vs South Africa game should be a good one - I look forward to it :) .

11. Harbourboy

Some huge games coming up. South Africa v Australia and India v Sri Lanka. Not to mention New Zealand v Canada tomorrow morning.

12. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Good to see Lou Vincent back with a hundred. Atta boy!

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  14. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yeah, that's very disturbing news. Let's just wait for the outcome before drawing any conclusions, even though murder seems most likely at this point.

15. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    As soon as I heard he had died, I suspected foul play. Cricket is such a huge deal in Pakistan and for them to be out in the 1st stage of the world cup is unimaginable... Although, to be fair, it seems more to do with supposed 'match fixing' proof he seemed to have and was about to reveal.. absolutely crazy and very, very saddening. Madness.

16. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

When I first heard I immediately suspected suicide, but after this I hope for Crickets sake nobody involved with the Pakistan team or any team has any involvement in this. I'm not sure whether I would rather the tournament go ahead or be discontinued. If it turns out that any one from the Pakistan team was involved then I cant see how the tournament can realistically go ahead. A very sad day. :(

17. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

83 run victory over South Africa!!!! ..And we carry some points over to the super 8's. Now to get our No. 1 title back. And the world cup in the process ;)

The police have apparently detained someone and confiscated his phone in relation to Woolmer's death. It will be good if they can clear it all up quickly and hopefully stamp out any matchfixing-type-stuff that might be going on.

18. Harbourboy

NZ, Australia, Sri Lanka, and West Indies go into the Super 8 with the precious 2 point advantage. Plus, NZ and Australia have the added advantage of playing two of the "weaker" teams. So in theory they should be best placed to go through. But, cricket is, and continues to be, a funny game so anything could happen!

19. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

IMO the two point advantage is a bit too much of an advantage, but well played to NZ, A, SL and the WI. I think South Africa will qualifify at the expense of either NZ, SL or the WI but apart from that I cant see any other surprises before the semi's although I'd love Ireland to get through!

20. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Canada has a cricket team???? <--- That's about how much we care :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.