1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

1 in 5 Americans STILL think Obama is a Muslim

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Link

Seriously? At this point? WTF? Correction: WT effing F? Is it willful ignorance? You think he's lying? Is the "Hussein" thing still stuck in their craw? Again, WT effing F?

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    So 1 in 5 Americans is a blithering, Pampers-pooping moron.

Actually, that figure strikes me as rather charitable.

3. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I agree, I think that is outrageous also. I would have thought it would be more like 3 in 5.

Just off the top of my head I came up with the following. His father is a Muslim. He spent his childhood living in Indonesia which is predominatly Muslim. He spent his adulthood in Rev Wright's racist church, but claims he didn't really hear anything racist being said, which makes people wonder if he was really there.. Then when he dropped Wright I don't believe he has affiliated himself with a new church. Clearly he doesn't attend services anywhere near as often as previous presidents (Both Bushes and Clinton). He comes out in favor of the ground zero mosque. Relations with Israel are probably the worst they have been in a generation. He bowed when he met the King of Saudia Arabla.

I can see how many people would come to the conclusion that he is a Muslim. Personally, I don't think he believes in religion at all (and I'm not saying that is a bad thing).

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    If that's what the poll said, I wouldn't have a problem with it, as that seems at least plausible. At best, he is nominally Christian, but I do not believe (and do not understand why others would) that he is a Muslim. He HAS been seen attending services at Christian churches. He has NEVER been seen attending services in a mosque.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

To pre-empt Barmy Army, I'll jump in now and agree with the comments above.

6. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Well, yes.

No, he IS NOT. He died in 1982.

No, actually, he did not. He lived there from 6-10 years of age. Four years would be a pretty short childhood. Did you spend your childhood in the US, Snook? Are you a "Christian?"

The US is 78 percent Christian, which is where Obama spent his adult life.

...And was that a "Muslim" church? Let's see if we can discover the name of that church...Trinity United Church of Christ...odd name for a Muslim Church. And while we know that names can be deceiving, we know it IS NOT centered within a predominatly Muslim country, "like Indonesia."

Oh, so he wasn't really there anyway.

Can't say I blame him with all the crazy morons running around these days.

I guess we should all believe that Ted Olson, M. Bloomberg, Joe Scarborough, etc, are "Muslims" as well. Btw, he nver said he was "in favor of it" but that it was their right under the Constitution to build it wherever they wished.

Really? We know thats not a Muslim country. So what do mean by this? Do tell.

GW Bush just kissed him on the lips and held his hand. Does that mean Bush was...no, no...not...THAT! :eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama,_Sr.
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_Barack_Obama's_religion

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
    Drew likes this.
  7. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    HE'S NOT?!?!? WTF? :p

8. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Snook are you actually saying that believing Obama to be a Muslim is a rational/valid belief or are you just playing the devil's advocate? Because all of the things you mentioned above require some incredible twisting of words to make Obama a Muslim even if taken at face value.

9. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    What the hell would it matter what religion he believes in, if any?

10. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
  11. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    A little bit of both. It is a problem that this administration has. For some reason they seem unwilling to give the doubters the incontrovertible proof they need to be satisfied. In this case if he belongs to a church he needs to let everyone know what church it is and he needs to be seen going to it with some sort of regularity. Taking the position that he belongs to a church, but won't tell anyone which one to protect his children (who he doesn't seem to have any problem trotting out when he needs them) isn't good enough for many people.

As to twisting the words, I'm not sure I agree with that. Chandos tried the "mocking" approach, but I would bet many of the people in this survey probably would mention some of the incidents I did. In our "conspiracy theory" madness it is easy for people to believe things if they have some "dots" to connect.

12. Chandos the Red

Media:
    I love it! You craft a completely "mocking" post, riddled with smug, but factual errors, in a sarcastic attempt to justify know-nothings, who would rather starve to death than vote for Obama anyway, regardless of his religion. Do think those in the survey SUPPORT or VOTED for Obama? It's not like you to "mock and gripe" and it doesn't suit you, Snook. Peace, Bro. :hippy:

13. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Which is one of the big problems I have with the U.S. Thank, umm, flibshats I live in Canada.

14. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I want a graphical map of the US showing the areas of the US where the highest concentration of these retards are. My prediction: The traditional retard states...the south and the "plain" states. :toofar:

F***ing morons. :bang:

15. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    To believe this they show they know nothing about Islam. It is not a tribal affiliation you are born into. Obama is a practising Christian.

But am I surprised? No. When I listen to Beck, Limbaugh and the like occasionally, or look up the 'usual suspect' sites, the theme that Obama is is as prevalent as it was during the election, facts be damned. What a difference good marketing skills and the persistent repetition of nonsense makes ...

There are some very unscrupulous people around on the US right, feeding the rubes with this deliberate lie. And then there the true believers, those who just don't know better and parrot what they hear from 'trusted messengers'.

16. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    What is it South Park said? 1/3 of all Americans are idiots? I agree with DR, I think the poll is showing progress. :) Wait, no, I take it back, it's just showing the conservative side of the idiots. The polls showing how many people believed Bush was behind 9/11 showed the liberal side of it.

Let's face it, this has become a political talking point (for no reason I can figure) and that means his opponents will latch onto it with a blinding ferver (and maybe a little slobber).

On AMaster's post, though, I think it's a very badly worded poll, as it doesn't distinguish between the 'they can' and the 'they should' sides, and those are very different. In my opinion, building the mosque there is perfectly legal and legitimate, and they should do so if they really want to, but if they were asking my advise I'd advise against it. It is legal, but not wise, simply because of the connotations and public reaction. So, I have to say, I would answer that poll with a 'no, they shouldn't build a mosque there'.

17. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Nope. While you may probably find some lefties who believe that, this is not a Liberal theme ('Bush invaded Iraq for oil' is a liberal theme).

What I know with certainty is that you find plenty of folks on the John Birch side of the right who manage to believe both stories, that Obama is a (secret) Muslim (and not a US national), and that 9/11 was an inside job.
    Of course.

But there is more to it: The secret Muslim thing is just the same sort of hatched job as the smears that Clinton allegedly murdered people (hint: he didn't) or that Kerry shot himself to get a purple heart (hint: he didn't), or that Saddam was involved in 9/11 (hint: he wasn't) - and if the polls are any indication - this sh*t apparently works, even though it stinks to the heavens. It only needs to be uttered often enough on a trusted forum (think FOX) with credible outrage and conviction. FOX News, or far worse, talk radio, is full of that.

It is simply all out character assassination, scorched earth politics. Examples: Kerry cannot have been a war hero (and how can he have been one considering his role in iirc the Fulbright hearings). No, he must have cheated to get a medal by cowardly maiming himself. It's not that for instance Obama won the election. He must have cheated! Obama is not eligible to be president, because he was born in Indonesia/Kenia. Clinton? Clinton murdered people. He is a criminal ... He must be impeached. That style, appealing to the worst in the electorate, currently characterizes US conservative gutter politics.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    While getting it from a "trusted source" as you put it certainly helps, I'm not sure it ultimately matters. Chances are, if you're willing to believe Obama is Muslim, then you probably don't like or support him to begin with. They'll take anything - no matter how absurd - to justify their dislike for the guy.

19. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Then you misunderstood. In no way did I post that all of those things were facts or 100% true. However, many people (if not everyone) know what I was talking about and the concept of "Where there is smoke there is fire" can very easily lead people to the conclusion that he is a Muslim. Having you refute those points isn't going to change the mind of the public (no matter what approach you take). The fact that Obama doesn't do anything to refute them himself (and it wouldn't be hard for him to be spotted in a church) adds even more fuel to the fire.

20. Chandos the Red

Media:
    In that case, I did misunderstand your post. My take was that you were mocking those, like Aldeth, DR or me, who would question why people would believe Obama was a Muslim given his supposed "personal life." But I did understand that you did not believe it yourself.

---------- Added 0 hours, 23 minutes and 12 seconds later... ----------

That's hardly liberal at all, and in fact many extreme conservatives are the source of this bull. It's the "Republic of Texas" types and some extreme Christian, evangelical, cultist groups, who believe that the Bushes are part of the "New World Order;" that the Bush family, along with the Clintons, are trying to craft a "One World" government before the "end times."

Really, I couldn't make this stuff up.

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/sociopolitica/esp_sociopol_bush09.htm

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.